ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Dealer Car Washes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 03:10 PM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Car Washes

Does your dealer offer free "whenever" car washes? How good/poor of a job do they do? How often can you come for a wash?

Please share dealer/state they're in.
Old 10-15-12, 05:02 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kogutr
Does your dealer offer free "whenever" car washes? How good/poor of a job do they do? How often can you come for a wash?

Please share dealer/state they're in.
My dealer will wash the car when I bring it in for service, but doesn't do a "whenever" wash. Would be nice, though...

I know the local Acura dealer does free washes on Saturdays, but the offer wasn't enough to make me want to buy one instead.
Old 10-15-12, 05:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My dealer in the suburban Chicago area does "whenever" washes. They ask for once a week, but do not keep track.

The facility is fairly new and does a pretty good job, although I don't use them too often as I prefer to do my own most of the time. No swirling issues with a Smokey Granite car, none with Starfire Pearl either.
Old 10-15-12, 09:25 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Many years ago "anytime" hand car washes were offered and were pretty good although maybe not worth the drive but now they have a new machine was and "anytime" washes are no longer offered. I almost always decline to have my car washed when serviced - I just feel that the car wash right down the street from the dealer does a better job.

Dave Mac
Old 10-15-12, 09:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Anytime I've ever let the dealer wash one of my cars they've swirled and scratched the crap out of it...
Old 10-15-12, 10:28 PM
bhammer
Driver School Candidate

My dealer does anytime as well. They use plenty of water to wash dust and dirt and then a high pressure sprayer to get most stuff off. Then come back with a car wash sponge then a terry cloth dry. All terry cloths are washed and dried after each use.

They wash the outside and vacuum the interior. I can pay an extra $16 to have the wheels done and a detailed wipe down. Overall, for a free wash, I am happy. I've used them about 4 times in the last month.
Old 10-16-12, 05:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Anytime I've ever let the dealer wash one of my cars they've swirled and scratched the crap out of it...
I never let my dealer wash my ES.Do not wash is in my service record and I remind my service advisor.
Old 10-16-12, 04:25 PM
RandyinAZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I never let my dealer wash my ES.Do not wash is in my service record and I remind my service advisor.
When I pay for a car wash, I always have it handwashed. But when it (my former Lexus) got serviced, they usually washed it for me and I hadn't noticed any issues. I've now got a new one (never been serviced, and only handwashed) and don't want to screw it up. (It is Starfire Metallic white by the way.)

Have you folks really had that bad of experiences at the Lexus dealers with car washes? Is the white paint a good or bad thing for showing any car wash damage? Thanks for any replies!

And, the sales department at my dealer in AZ does say I can bring it by for a wash anytime--but I'd probably never bother due to where it is.
Old 10-16-12, 04:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyinAZ
When I pay for a car wash, I always have it handwashed. But when it (my former Lexus) got serviced, they usually washed it for me and I hadn't noticed any issues. I've now got a new one (never been serviced, and only handwashed) and don't want to screw it up. (It is Starfire Metallic white by the way.)

Have you folks really had that bad of experiences at the Lexus dealers with car washes? Is the white paint a good or bad thing for showing any car wash damage? Thanks for any replies!

And, the sales department at my dealer in AZ does say I can bring it by for a wash anytime--but I'd probably never bother due to where it is.
White shows the least problems,IMO.
Old 10-16-12, 07:24 PM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took my black CT in for service they asked if I wanted it washed.
They did a fine job.
No scratches, no swirls...
Old 10-16-12, 08:22 PM
kogutr
Driver School Candidate

My dealer in central NJ offers anytime washes and IMHO they do a fantastic job washing and giving the tires a wet look. This is one of the reasons I choose to buy the car from this dealer (although my family has leased and purchased cars from them since 2004).

Great customer service.
Old 10-17-12, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Back when I detailed cars for money, I got cars all the time that he dealer had washed that had to be polished out. If you go on the detailing boards like Autopia you'll see pictures of cars coming back from the dealer and what they look like. Like anything, your mileage will vary...but I've seen car dealers use brooms to wash cars...and like I've said the couple of times the dealer has screwed up and washed my car, I've had to polish it out. I'm picky, so if you're not that's different, but I would never let the dealer wash my cars.
Old 10-17-12, 07:35 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

I've always been scared of car washes due to swirling. Do u get swirling or other issues from brushless car washes? I would expect to but I'm just double checking...
Old 10-17-12, 12:10 PM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But I'm not going to let them touch the ESh
Old 10-17-12, 03:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by uicandrew
I've always been scared of car washes due to swirling. Do u get swirling or other issues from brushless car washes? I would expect to but I'm just double checking...
Yes, the issue with brushless carwashes is the harshness of the fabric strips that swirl around, the cleanliness of the water they use (its reclaimed), and the poor quality of the towels they use at the end.

Quick Reply: Dealer Car Washes