My First, Lexus experience.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-12, 09:37 AM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My First, Lexus experience.

First of all this is my first time getting the Lexus experience, I never ever stepped into either Toyota or Lexus dealership before (for me Lexus WAS nothing but a leathered up Toyota). Currently I drive 2005 Honda Accord (yes I am a Honda/Acura fan boy LOL) with 141k miles on it. I also have 2011 Acura MDX. After looking at the new ES350/ES300h online I was thoroughly impressed with the new design.

Even though I am not a fan of Toyota or their design I was impressed with the new ES design. Now before I get into how was my experience, the reason why I even went on Lexus website on the first place was “Hybrid”.

I was blown away when I saw the mpg on ES300h, I joined CL and when I saw people posted their mpg in the other thread of 42, 41.8, 38 mpg (BTW Thank you CL members for sharing that screenshots) I got more eager about the Lexus experience.

My wife and I went to local Lexus dealership past weekend. The first dealership I went is located on one of the busiest road on Central New Jersey. I parked my Vehicle and walked into the dealership. First impression very nice facility, I wasn’t approach by any sales person even though few of them saw us (I know they worked there as they were wearing Lexus shirts) which is in a way good that I got my own space to at least look around. I spotted the ES300h and I liked what I saw big specious, nicely designed Sedan. At this moment one sales person approached me. Greeted me and asked me if I need any assistance. I said I am interested in the new ES300h, he took us to his desk ask for basic information, made a copy of my DL. Asked me the time frame I am planning to make a purchase. I said somewhere around in 3 months period this is where the whole experience started to fall apart. At this time we started asking questions on availability and time frame for a customized one. The answer I got form him I don’t think even he can explained what he meant. My wife kindly asks if they have one in black color as she wanted to compare the colors. He took us outside showed one in black. We asked couple other questions while we were comparing the colors and he told us to come back when we are ready to make a purchase. He said :“when your trade is being appraised we will go for a test drive.” At this moment I had a WTF moment. I shook hands with him and asked for a brochure; guess what his answer was. “Sorry we don’t have any Brochures as the car is very new”. Seriously?

I was extremely disappointed with the service, but I believe in second chance, I told my wife let’s go to another Lexus dealership (which is comparatively very small to this one but owned by same company)

We went to the other smaller dealership. As soon as we walked in the lovely lady on the reception desk greeted us, asked us if we have an appointment with anyone. As we were walk in she gave a quick tour to the facility and told us to take our time to check out the cars and when we need assistance come back to her. First impression great start, again we took the time checked out ES300h and GS350. There was a lovely Russian couple there (I am guessing based on the language they were speaking) we talked with each other and share some good information about other competitors. After good 15-20 minutes of chat we went back to the lovely lady at front desk and asked for assistance. A gentleman approached and greeted us, took us to his desk, same basic information and DL process. Here we were asked for water or other refreshment and provided with it as well. I explained him I am interested in ES300h without discussion my time frame or anything he said would you like to go for a test drive? Oh boy the experience now is even better. I said yes, he said give me one moment. After 15 min he came back and said please follow me. He apologized for the delay as he had to pull the car from showroom floor. Now I am really impressed without even knowing if I am going to purchase the car or not he took the trouble to get one off the showroom.

He explained us all the cool features of keyless entry and all the standard vs options available. Then he asked who will be driving, as I will be the primary driver of our next vehicle I said I will take the test drive. He immediately went to passenger side and opened the door for my wife. (In real world these small things counts and I mark everything around me  LOL) We went for a test drive and he told me I want you to experience the real ride so please take this route, took us on a very hilly road which was full of twisties. With speed zone from 25 mph to 65 mph. First impression of the ride “Extremely smooth and very comfy”

The car is super quite when you are stopped at traffic light. As we take off the pick up is also very smooth. This is not a sports car so I am not expecting it to do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds but for a luxury hybrid I am satisfied. Up hill I didn’t feel the car is heavy or lagging on speed. It was once again very smooth cruse. As we approach a zone of 45 mph with twistes and not so well maintained road, I was expecting to feel the bumps and pot holes but instead I was able to maintain the speed of 50-55mph with all the bumps and holes on the road. I did not feel any of them, good job Lexus I am impressed  the car offer exceptional handling and comfortable ride on all the turns and corners.

Now we hop on the highway, 65 mph zone. The salesman told me to put the car in sports mode and punch it. Well ok then! Sport mode activated and dash board turned red and so the devil inside me I gunned it and boy this baby flew, in no time I was doing 80mph and felt like I was doing 45-50. We were extremely impressed that even though it’s hybrid it can ride like a sport sedan. We were approaching the traffic light and I was coming from 70mph to a stop. The car made a noise like I am landing a jet when I hit the 30mph zone, I didn’t like how it makes that sound when it switches from Gas power to Battery power. Again I won’t be driving the car without any music so that can be avoided. The breaking system I felt is not as strong as my Accord. The breaking is little slower, so you have apply the breaks little early. We had to make a u-turn where I had to change from right most lane to left most lane and enter a U-turn, where I experience another lag in the break response. I am not sure if anyone else here experienced that or not.

We came back to the dealership and I took some time to check the car in day light that’s when I saw the plastics in the car. In showroom it may be hard to sport the quality of it but in day light outside you can easily notice that all the plastics that are used in the car are extremely cheap. Bad move Lexus. I understand cost cutting is required but not at this level that a first timer can spot the quality of it. With confidence I can say the quality in my Honda Accord is better than Lexus ES300h. Other than that everything was exceptional.

Overall my first take on Lexus is definitely a great improvement compare to older models. I also like the new approach that new ES are based of Avalon and not the good old Camry. I am not 100% sold on ES300h as I was expecting but I am for sure impressed with the comfort, handling, luxuries and technology.

My next stop will be Audi for A4/A5 and BMW 3 series. I am still going back to Lexus to take a test drive of new GS. May be GS can full fill the missing things I experienced in ES300h. Fingers crossed.

Here’s where I am getting confused that I keep my cars for at least 7-9 years. I drive 75 miles a day and pretty much same over the weekend. I need a car with good mileage on gas which of course ES provides and hands down probably the best mpg vehicle in its class. At the same time I want a fun riding machine, don’t want to just concentrate on comfort and luxury. As it can get boring after sometimes. I hope to get more impressed by GS350 AWD may be with F-sport 

Feel free to share your experience. Sorry for the long a$$ post.

Oh and I got not pressure from the Salesman at the 2nd dealership and the over all experience was great. I also got a ES Brochures ya the car is super new that we don’t have Brochures LOL!!

Cheers!!
Old 10-08-12, 10:31 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Wow. The first dealership sounds bad!

I'm also in the market for the es300h and the thing that ruled out the a4 was the lack of auto dimming side view mirrors. They are absolutely essential to me. That also ruled out the Acura tsx. I wonder about the reliability of the 3 series. All my friends with them have had multiple problems.
Old 10-08-12, 10:42 AM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uicandrew
Wow. The first dealership sounds bad!

I'm also in the market for the es300h and the thing that ruled out the a4 was the lack of auto dimming side view mirrors. They are absolutely essential to me. That also ruled out the Acura tsx. I wonder about the reliability of the 3 series. All my friends with them have had multiple problems.
I wouldn't say the dealership is bad, its either the salesman was not interested in selling to me or having a bad day. In any case he lost my business for sure.

I haven't check out A4 yet so I can't comment but BMW is known for their stiff ride. It give you that sporty feel of the ride vs. Lexus is all about comfort and luxury.

I would say check out Acura TL as you have option to go for either FWD or AWD. Plus Acura and Lexus offers very similar packages.
Old 10-08-12, 11:58 AM
jandkw
Driver School Candidate

Default Driving Experience

Thanks for sharing your first Lexus experience. I also test drove the ES300h and like the design and certainly the impressive mpg. This car is currently in high demand and the dealers are selling MSRP but reluctant to provide any discounts. I suggest you test drive the Audi A6. I test drove the A6, both 4-cyl CVT and 4-cyl 8-speed Quattro and they are fun to drive with precised steering, light weight, and very high quality interior. With the discount Audi dealers are willing to offer, you'll be surprised to find that A6 pricing is comparable to the non-discounted ES300h. Have fun shopping.
Old 10-08-12, 12:40 PM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jandkw
Thanks for sharing your first Lexus experience. I also test drove the ES300h and like the design and certainly the impressive mpg. This car is currently in high demand and the dealers are selling MSRP but reluctant to provide any discounts. I suggest you test drive the Audi A6. I test drove the A6, both 4-cyl CVT and 4-cyl 8-speed Quattro and they are fun to drive with precised steering, light weight, and very high quality interior. With the discount Audi dealers are willing to offer, you'll be surprised to find that A6 pricing is comparable to the non-discounted ES300h. Have fun shopping.
Thank you so much for you input, this certainly helps. I see a lot A6 popping on the highway lately I think this might be the reason that Dealers discount is very aggressive.

Looking forward to my visit to Audi
Old 10-08-12, 01:38 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 430 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jandkw
I test drove the A6 and it is a great car. Though I didn't leave the dealership very impressed. I don't know if it was the roads here, but I felt alot of feedback from the road on the tires and the steering wheel. It also felt kind of small.

I ended up ordering a GS350 and I found the GS to be superior to the A6. The ride just felt smoother, quieter, and about 10x comfier than the A6. Not to mention maintenance would be significantly less than the Audi.

The discounts that Audi offers were pretty darn good though.

Awesome review Ahmedabad
Old 10-08-12, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Great review, shame about the first salesman.

The interior plastics are one of the most significant issues in the new ES for me. While I like the design of the interior VS my 2010, the materials are better in my 2010 overall, which was a material quality downgrade from my 2003 ES. Its a shame but I agree, in the daylight you can really tell. I found that the lower quality plastics are less obvious with the Parchment than with the black (or get, since 80% of the grey interior is black).

Material quality is much better in the GS. A6 is also very nice, but not as nice as the GS. 3 series, A4, etc are MUCH smaller than the ES, too small for me.
Old 10-08-12, 03:57 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1st salesman didn't seem that great, I wouldn't mark down the whole dealership for him. And it's very common to run out of brochures on new cars that are as popular as the ES, as many people like yourself come in and ask for one right away.

Braking in a hybrid will always feel different than standard brakes due to regenerative braking, have you ever dealt with regenerative brakes before?

As far as the quality of an Accord beating the ES300h.... I know you'll be biased as a current Accord owner/Honda fanboy, but you're going to be grossly mistaken. Especially in things that maybe you can't quite see/consider.
Old 10-08-12, 05:33 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmedabad

First of all this is my first time getting the Lexus experience, I never ever stepped into either Toyota or Lexus dealership before (for me Lexus WAS nothing but a leathered up Toyota). Currently I drive 2005 Honda Accord (yes I am a Honda/Acura fan boy LOL) with 141k miles on it. I also have 2011 Acura MDX. After looking at the new ES350/ES300h online I was thoroughly impressed with the new design.

...My next stop will be Audi for A4/A5 and BMW 3 series. I am still going back to Lexus to take a test drive of new GS. May be GS can full fill the missing things I experienced in ES300h. Fingers crossed.

Here’s where I am getting confused that I keep my cars for at least 7-9 years. I drive 75 miles a day and pretty much same over the weekend. I need a car with good mileage on gas which of course ES provides and hands down probably the best mpg vehicle in its class. At the same time I want a fun riding machine, don’t want to just concentrate on comfort and luxury. As it can get boring after sometimes. I hope to get more impressed by GS350 AWD may be with F-sport 

Cheers!!
Enjoyed your honest review. Even though I haven't driven an E300h, I have a special order one on order (ETA is Thanksgiving or early December). Currently driving a '11 ES 350. However, I've owed an Audi A3 Sport; 6-speed, Lava Gray Pearl...absolute gorgeous color. I enjoyed the car a lot, solid build and good handling. I had got a great deal from Audi w/free maintenance and excellent financing.

Anyway, I've got a co-worker who has the '13 GS350F Sport. He says the car has great handling and is fast...another co-worker,who rode with him, concurs.
Old 10-09-12, 05:54 AM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dezymond
I test drove the A6 and it is a great car. Though I didn't leave the dealership very impressed. I don't know if it was the roads here, but I felt alot of feedback from the road on the tires and the steering wheel. It also felt kind of small.

I ended up ordering a GS350 and I found the GS to be superior to the A6. The ride just felt smoother, quieter, and about 10x comfier than the A6. Not to mention maintenance would be significantly less than the Audi.

The discounts that Audi offers were pretty darn good though.

Awesome review Ahmedabad
Thanks dezymond,

I know you are super excited for GS350. I hope you get it sooner

I think the best bet is to test drive both GS and A6 on same day on same or similar route.

I will for sure keep you posted. Cheers!! (waiting for the milk thread in couple of months)
Old 10-09-12, 06:01 AM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Great review, shame about the first salesman.

The interior plastics are one of the most significant issues in the new ES for me. While I like the design of the interior VS my 2010, the materials are better in my 2010 overall, which was a material quality downgrade from my 2003 ES. Its a shame but I agree, in the daylight you can really tell. I found that the lower quality plastics are less obvious with the Parchment than with the black (or get, since 80% of the grey interior is black).

Material quality is much better in the GS. A6 is also very nice, but not as nice as the GS. 3 series, A4, etc are MUCH smaller than the ES, too small for me.
I think other member here also said the same thing about previous ES models having better quality material. I am glad I decided to go take a test drive on a sunny day or else I would not notice on a cloudy day. I also felt that GS interior was much better and it better be as people will be paying at least 10k extra LOL.

I am pretty sure I won't be settling on A4 or 3 Series just way too small for the money.

GS vs A6 will be a good comparison and I am sure on comfort level GS will kill A6 hands down.
Old 10-09-12, 06:05 AM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pbm317
1st salesman didn't seem that great, I wouldn't mark down the whole dealership for him. And it's very common to run out of brochures on new cars that are as popular as the ES, as many people like yourself come in and ask for one right away.

Braking in a hybrid will always feel different than standard brakes due to regenerative braking, have you ever dealt with regenerative brakes before?

As far as the quality of an Accord beating the ES300h.... I know you'll be biased as a current Accord owner/Honda fanboy, but you're going to be grossly mistaken. Especially in things that maybe you can't quite see/consider.
Thank you pbm317 for pointing me about the regenerative breaking. I had no idea about the significance of that vs. regular ES350.

I just want to clear that I am comparing a 2005 Accord materials with 2013 ES300h materials and nothing else. For example the buttons to open trunk, hood and gas cap. Sunroof switches etc. I am sure if I compare 2005 ES with 2005 Accord then yes ES will win in better quality there no doubt.

Old 10-09-12, 06:12 AM
Ahmedabad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KennyLexus
Enjoyed your honest review. Even though I haven't driven an E300h, I have a special order one on order (ETA is Thanksgiving or early December). Currently driving a '11 ES 350. However, I've owed an Audi A3 Sport; 6-speed, Lava Gray Pearl...absolute gorgeous color. I enjoyed the car a lot, solid build and good handling. I had got a great deal from Audi w/free maintenance and excellent financing.

Anyway, I've got a co-worker who has the '13 GS350F Sport. He says the car has great handling and is fast...another co-worker,who rode with him, concurs.
Thank you KennyLexus for your input towards Audi.

Can you also share how is your experience at Lexus vs Audi in terms of service center?

Thanks for the GS input as well I am getting more excited about my test ride soon
Old 10-09-12, 07:05 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never owned an Audi so I can't comment on that but I previously owned an IS300 and now a 335. My wife previously owned a 2002 RX300 which we sold with over 220k problem free miles and she now has a 2012 RX450h so I believe we can offer some relevant feedback. My mom also drives a GS430.

First, I'll say that your first Lexus dealer experience was not normal and it sounds like the second one is more in line. We've been a fan of Lexus for a very long time as they produce quality vehicles at a reasonable price. Yes, their image is not of a very sporty nature but recent changes to management have produced some product changes and we're seeing the fruits of those changes already.

You'll need to keep in mind that the ES is not a sporty car. Remember, it is based on the Avalon. Lexus has been mandated by the powers that be that they want to make the cars more sporty from where they were but please don't confuse the ES with a sporty sedan. It is a very comfortable sedan with high quality and execellent reliability. Like I said, my wife had her 2002 RX300 with over 220k miles and not one major problem. Even at the age and mileage, we were able to sell it for about 20% of it's original purchase price so resale value is also very high.

I can't say enough good things about Lexus and their vehicles but you have to understand what you're buying and not have bad expectations. Again, are you looking for a sport sedan or a sporty car? Sport sedan = no ES. Sporty sedan might equal ES.

As far as BMW, their cars are sport sedans. The driving experience is totally different from the ES and BMW has been execellent in marketing their sporty dirving experience. They will try and sell that when you go to the BMW dealer. My wife likes the BMW and the "sporty driving experience" but when she drives it and I ask her if sh feels ny difference between the 335 and the RX450h, she says, not really. The car is lower, it has more power, the gas pedal is more sensitive, the steering wheel is heavier, the suspension is harder, etc. Even though she likes the image of the BMW, she doesn't quite appreciate all of those "negative" that people actually consider to be part of the sporty dirving experience. Also, as far reliability, my BMW has given me my fair share of problems and not just little issues. I'm talking major stuff. Fuel injectors, fuel pump issue (recall issue), DME (BMW speak for ecu). I knew buying the BMW would require purchasing the extended warranty because we too keep our cars for a long time and the extended warranty has already paid for itself. Also, keep in mind if you do plan on keeping your car for a long time, BMW does offer covered service maintenance but keep in mind that their service is a very minimal maintenance and has been a sore talking point on many BMW forums so even though they market the fact that they cover service, it's very minima service that they cover and if you actually paid it out of pocket, it would amount to a very small amount.

Quite honestly, I'd say that you're corss shopping different types of cars and may need to really consider what type of car you're looking for. People that cross shop a 3 series car, don't look at the ES. They look at the Lexus IS, Inifiniti G, Mercedes C, and Audi A4.

Either way good luck. BTW, you mentioned about special ordering. Just know that Lexus isn't really into special ordering your specific build like most German manufacturers. They generally prefer you to buy what's on the lot. I'm not saying you can't try and special order your build but you may find some resistance.

Also, regarding you buying expereince, I would def recommend visiting the dealers to check out the cars in person and do your test drives but when you're actually ready to purchase, just draft an email and send emails out to all of the dealers within an area of where you're willing to drive to buy a car and wiat for their responses. I've done this for the last copuple of cars and this works so much better. On doing this for my wife's RX450h, we got a killer deal that no other dealer was able to come close to. You just never know aside from dealer incentives and such what other incentives a dealer can roll into selling a car. It might be month's end and one dealer for example may need to unload a dealer trade and give you a killer deal. Try it. Wotrse case scnaerio, you'll just be answering a bunch of emails to either say no thank, your offer sucks or following up on an email because the offer sounds good.

Last edited by bam; 10-09-12 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-09-12, 08:27 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmedabad
Thank you pbm317 for pointing me about the regenerative breaking. I had no idea about the significance of that vs. regular ES350.

I just want to clear that I am comparing a 2005 Accord materials with 2013 ES300h materials and nothing else. For example the buttons to open trunk, hood and gas cap. Sunroof switches etc. I am sure if I compare 2005 ES with 2005 Accord then yes ES will win in better quality there no doubt.

I just want to be clear that the materials in this:

Far exceed the quality of materials in this:

Quick Reply: My First, Lexus experience.