ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Pricing and Options Assistance (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 06:36 AM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pricing and Options Assistance (Canada)

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I'm close to starting the negotiating process on the purchase of a 300h here in Canada and there's some questions some of you may be able to answer:

A.) Bamboo trim not available in Canada ? Any way to get around this ?

B.) Model here is avail. in Premium,Nav., Leather and Tech. Pkgs. Which pkg includes drivers powered front cushion extender ? Also do any of these pkgs include panoramic roof (300h). You can`t buy individual options here......they try to force you into one pkg. or another.

C.) Where can one find a Cdn. listing of dealer invoice (costs) for this model and option pkgs as found on Edmunds and KBB in U.S. Is it reasonable to assume same in Canada vs U.S since exchange rate virtually at par now . Pls note freight here in Canada is $1895 vs $895 in U.S. !

I have been waiting for the ES300h for 3 years. I was excited when the HS250h came out but soon realized they`d missed the mark............subsequant sales proved it !

Any asistance would be appreciated
Old 09-11-12, 07:38 AM
gfr1
Rookie

Originally Posted by BikrMike
I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I'm close to starting the negotiating process on the purchase of a 300h here in Canada and there's some questions some of you may be able to answer:

A.) Bamboo trim not available in Canada ? Any way to get around this ?

B.) Model here is avail. in Premium,Nav., Leather and Tech. Pkgs. Which pkg includes drivers powered front cushion extender ? Also do any of these pkgs include panoramic roof (300h). You can`t buy individual options here......they try to force you into one pkg. or another.

C.) Where can one find a Cdn. listing of dealer invoice (costs) for this model and option pkgs as found on Edmunds and KBB in U.S. Is it reasonable to assume same in Canada vs U.S since exchange rate virtually at par now . Pls note freight here in Canada is $1895 vs $895 in U.S. !

I have been waiting for the ES300h for 3 years. I was excited when the HS250h came out but soon realized they`d missed the mark............subsequant sales proved it !

Any asistance would be appreciated
I didn't open it, but this URL seems about right, in the Google search.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...1GGC&year=2013

Item A, I don't have an answer.
Item B. The driver's seat extender is only available on the top "Ultra Luxury option, in the U.S., so I'd guess that it'd be the same there. And, the roof isn't available on any ES300h here, to my knowledge. I'm guessing that you won't have that option. They did a similar thing with the top Prius option, in the U.S. model.
Old 09-11-12, 06:20 PM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gfr1
I didn't open it, but this URL seems about right, in the Google search.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience...1GGC&year=2013

Item A, I don't have an answer.
Item B. The driver's seat extender is only available on the top "Ultra Luxury option, in the U.S., so I'd guess that it'd be the same there. And, the roof isn't available on any ES300h here, to my knowledge. I'm guessing that you won't have that option. They did a similar thing with the top Prius option, in the U.S. model.
Thks ..............Cdn. link doesn't mention bamboo. I assume driver seat extender cushion is on top pkg. Brochure doesn't mention this at all but photo shows power button control with no reference to what pkg. (poorly done !)

C.) Sure hope I can determine dealer Canadian invoice (costs). Otherwise flying blind when negotiating.
Old 10-07-12, 07:13 PM
MAXDOG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Lexus Canada the seat extender isn't available in Canada. Apparently the picture was in the brochure before final details were settled upon.
Can one import one of these?
Then options are much greater in the US, and the prices difference is huge!
Do US models have daytime runing lights?
Old 10-08-12, 08:03 AM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MAXDOG
According to Lexus Canada the seat extender isn't available in Canada. Apparently the picture was in the brochure before final details were settled upon.

Thks for feedback. While waiting for response, I emailed Lexus Canada and got back a response written by a "Philadelphia Lawyer"..............10-way powered seats are std. on the ES300h in Canada.
Yes, I knew that but that didn't answer my question directly. Powered seat extender is not in the 10 way seat movement. Dealers here didn't know either so I had to find a dealer who had the Cdn. Technology Pkg. in stock. Yes, there it was on that pkg !

Clearly Lexus Canada has no idea about this feature and gets what Japan sends ! Unbelievable !

Yes, Canadians could theoretically import vehicle into Canada IF they could find a dealer willing to sell to a Canadian. U.S. dealers have been told not to under threat of sanctions by Lexus corporate.
Yes, price differences are large but I would have to pay 6.1% import duty (can't get Japan to U.S. import duty remission) + state sales tax + Cdn. import fee and then sales taxes here. When that's all added in price difference shrinks big time !

I expect U.S. models have daytime running lights, if not , it's no biggy to set up.
Old 10-17-12, 03:35 PM
PHOUND5
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BikrMike
Yes, Canadians could theoretically import vehicle into Canada IF they could find a dealer willing to sell to a Canadian. U.S. dealers have been told not to under threat of sanctions by Lexus corporate.
Yes, price differences are large but I would have to pay 6.1% import duty (can't get Japan to U.S. import duty remission) + state sales tax + Cdn. import fee and then sales taxes here. When that's all added in price difference shrinks big time !

I expect U.S. models have daytime running lights, if not , it's no biggy to set up.
I have imported vehicles (motorcycles ) before and though they are supposedly subject to 6.1% tax I never been charged it. Friends have imported cars no issue

You don't pay state sales tax, and your HST is on a lower dollar amount. The RIV program spells this all out very clearly.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-menu-475.htm

US Car

Base MSRP $36,100
Ultra-Luxury Package with Additional Options $11,180
Door edge guards $115
Carpet trunk mat $105
Cargo net - envelope $64
Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee $895
Total MSRP $48,459 USD

Canadian Car Fully loaded is $51,750

Taxes Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee totals $ 60 354 in BC

With the dollar being close to par you will likely be able to save with taxes $4500 cdn at retail

Good luck
Old 10-18-12, 05:43 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Not so. I bought my car in Ontario and I have the seat extender, which I believe is a standard feature in the Touring Package.

Last edited by UncleBen; 10-18-12 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 07:03 AM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PHOUND5
I have imported vehicles (motorcycles ) before and though they are supposedly subject to 6.1% tax I never been charged it. Friends have imported cars no issue

You don't pay state sales tax, and your HST is on a lower dollar amount. The RIV program spells this all out very clearly.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-menu-475.htm

US Car

Base MSRP $36,100
Ultra-Luxury Package with Additional Options $11,180
Door edge guards $115
Carpet trunk mat $105
Cargo net - envelope $64
Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee $895
Total MSRP $48,459 USD

Canadian Car Fully loaded is $51,750

Taxes Delivery, Processing & Handling Fee totals $ 60 354 in BC

With the dollar being close to par you will likely be able to save with taxes $4500 cdn at retail

Good luck
Thks for the feedback. I work part time bringing in used vehicles from U.S. into Canada and any vehicle made in Japan is subject to 6.1% import duty. If it was made in the U.S., vehicle would be duty free under NAFTA agreement. The ES300h is made in Japan. I went through the RIV website and saw nothing on duty free status for Japan made vehicles. I can see a used motorcycle getting through duty free but a vehicle worth $50-60K , I have my doubts.

As far as state sales tax is concerned , I understand that if I take possession and "rubber hits the road " in the state I purchased it in , I pay that state's sales tax. I could not find any reference to that in the RIV website. The other hurdle here is finding a U.S. willing to sell to a Cdn. that will import into Canada shortly after purchase (I've heard Lexus will apply sanctions).

If you can find reference to those specific items in the RIV website pls direct me to them. You will have made my week !
Old 10-22-12, 05:07 PM
MAXDOG
Driver School Candidate

Someone should tell the head office. I sent an inquiry about this and they e-mailed me back stating it was not offered in Canada. If this is an indication of their knowledge of their OWN product, I'll probably shop other brands.
Scary how little most know about what they are selling. Glad to hear it's available. Do you have a 300h, or a 350?
I was discussing a 300H.

The top of the line model lists for over $55 in Canada, delivery included, in hybrid form.
Old 10-22-12, 08:44 PM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Someone should tell the head office. I sent an inquiry about this and they e-mailed me back stating it was not offered in Canada. If this is an indication of their knowledge of their OWN product, I'll probably shop other brands.
Scary how little most know about what they are selling. Glad to hear it's available. Do you have a 300h, or a 350?
I was discussing a 300H.

The top of the line model lists for over $55 in Canada, delivery included, in hybrid form.
I believe Uncle Ben has the ES350 with Touring Pkg. (Canadian version) and that's got the driver's seat cushion extension. I just ordered the ES300h with Tech. Pkg. and it'd definitely got the same feature. When I visited another dealer, the price sheets they gave me (from Lexus Cda.) were revised and did show the cushion extension feature for that pkg. on the ES300h. Clearly they screwed up and corrected their mistake.

Quite frankly, from the quality of responses I've been getting from Lexus Cda., they've got some work to do internally !
Old 10-24-12, 02:56 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Yes, that's correct. I have the Touring Package and it has the seat cushion extension.
Old 10-24-12, 05:21 AM
MAXDOG
Driver School Candidate

Mike, What kind of deal were you able to get? Were they willing to knock some dollars off the MSRP?
Curious if the supply is tight , as the dealer I spoke with talked full price, no discounts.
If you'd rather not post price I understand..
Old 10-24-12, 04:52 PM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Mike, What kind of deal were you able to get? Were they willing to knock some dollars off the MSRP?
Curious if the supply is tight , as the dealer I spoke with talked full price, no discounts.
If you'd rather not post price I understand..

MAXDOG, I got a good discount off but it took 3 weeks of back and forth negotiating before I got it. I never got the impression supply was tight here. My Tech. Pkg. ES300h is supposed to arrive toward end of Nov. Apparently there were no Tech. Pkg. vehicles in Nebula Gray/Black int. in Canada according to my dealer. I would never pay MSRP which represents I believe 8% profit on base model + approx. 8+% on option pkg. price here in Canada. As far as I know the 2% hold back (on base MSRP) is not negotiable and is profit above and beyond the 8 /8+%'s. That hold back is never discussed in negotiations. I think the PDI and freight are grossly inflated..........just compare to U.S. ! Why should a customer in Buffalo pay 1/2 the freight as a customer in neigbouring Ontario ? As far as I know salesman's compensation is based on how much of the 8/8+% they can retain as profit. i.e. how hungry is your salesman ? Apparently ocean transit takes 2 weeks, + 1 week rail time from Vcr. to T.O.. Vehicle is either in a huge yard in Japan , or about to be built, I assume.

Your location is shown as state of Maine, or is that history ? Your previous responses advised you called Lexus Canada.......that puzzled me why you would call Canada from Maine. I did look at importing from the U.S. Problem is you need to overcome hurdle of finding a U.S. Lexus dealer WILLING to sell to a Canadian under risk of sanction.........couldn't find one. If one exists , state sales tax +6.1% import duty + current exchange at par + RIV fee cut the potential savings down big time. With that in mind I came up with a price I could live with without fretting on what saving might be had by importing from the U.S. They finally met that price. I wanted Bamboo trim and that was no dice for Canada. Disapointing !
Otherwise I'm happy.