ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

StartupImage

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 09:35 AM
bhammer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me that they can't get rid of the warning message and I've been unable to find hacks on google for it.

Mine though only shows up for about 5 seconds and is automatically cleared. I don;t know if everyone's does this?
Old 09-21-12, 03:57 PM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback. Mine only shows for a brief time as well, but it's getting a bit annoying. Not sure if there is anything that we can do about it as the "images" are most likely burned to an eprom. I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of the subject will enlighten us.
Old 11-04-12, 09:44 AM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it has been awhile since I did a followup. Obviously there are a lot of things more important in life than the startup image on a car.

That being said, I finally had time to try yet again. Still now success.

I've tried multiple photo sources (cameras/internet), multiple picture resolutions, multiple naming attempts and everything else suggested in this and other threads. Nothing will enable the "yes" button to transfer images to the cars 3 empty slots.

It's great that is working for everyone else, but I'm at the end of my rope and will likely have to move on. The one thing I'd still love to have is an actual sample photo(s) that work.

I must emphasize that the directory IS named "StartupImage", the drive works for .MP3 files and the files were transferred using Windows 7.

Vince, I'm with you. I'd love to be able to get rid of the warning message. Real tiring after seeing it a few hundred times. However, I'm guessing we are stuck with it for liability reasons.
Old 11-04-12, 03:39 PM
Foredeck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by evileye
I've been out of town for 10 days and away from my Lexus so I haven't been able to try anything else. To answer a couple specific questions:

Yes, I am naming the directory correctly. I indicated that in my initial posting.

Yes, the drive works just fine for music. I've got 150 albums on it and it plays these like a charm.

I'd love it if someone would post the resolution/size of an image they got to work. Even better, post the actually file.
Just Curious; What make and size of flashdrive are u using for your 150 albums?
Old 11-04-12, 04:22 PM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Foredeck
Just Curious; What make and size of flashdrive are u using for your 150 albums?
It's a Kingston "DataTraveler" 16GB (DT101 G2).

NOTE: I've also tried this test with numerous other flash drives.
Old 11-21-12, 02:27 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi there,
I know how frustrating you feel especially you come from a software background. I spent a few hours to get mine to work on my GS. My problem was different from yours. The resolution on my file was too high for the system to accept. It took about 30 minutes trying to upload but then it gave up. I tried to lower the resolution and it work. If you get the "Transfer" to turn on, it means that it sees your folder/images. Maybe you have something else going. If you have not tried already, use cmd command to get to DOS screen and check the folder and your files to see if they have .jpg or jpeg extension. Sometimes windows make some change to your files.
If you want, you can try the attached image that worked on my GS.

For those that got it to work, were you able to display the image on the whole screen? My images always occupy only about 60% of the screen regardless how big I make my images.

Thanks.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-21-12, 03:04 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the image I uploaded to my ES - it's 1.9MB:
Attached Thumbnails StartupImage-dsc00648.jpg  
Old 11-21-12, 06:07 PM
JerryKK
Driver

I didn't have any trouble loading my image - but I would like to know if there is a way of extending the time that it pops up and then disappears?
Old 11-27-12, 03:48 PM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Hi there,
I know how frustrating you feel especially you come from a software background. I spent a few hours to get mine to work on my GS. My problem was different from yours. The resolution on my file was too high for the system to accept. It took about 30 minutes trying to upload but then it gave up. I tried to lower the resolution and it work. If you get the "Transfer" to turn on, it means that it sees your folder/images. Maybe you have something else going. If you have not tried already, use cmd command to get to DOS screen and check the folder and your files to see if they have .jpg or jpeg extension. Sometimes windows make some change to your files.
If you want, you can try the attached image that worked on my GS.

For those that got it to work, were you able to display the image on the whole screen? My images always occupy only about 60% of the screen regardless how big I make my images.

Thanks.
Any chance you could email me that file (evileye0702 at yahoo dot com)?
Old 02-15-13, 12:49 PM
bgelb
Driver School Candidate

Default Start up Image, and Display off Image

I had the same problems as everyone here, but then I finally got it. First I was able to upload in the display off, but not start up. So I used the same photos. Here are the specs that worked
W= 640 Pixels H= 480 Pixels total 32KB I don't know why they worked but if finally did. And one is a color photo, the other is black and white. Good luck.

Bonnie G
Old 02-15-13, 12:52 PM
bgelb
Driver School Candidate

Default Have image appear longer

You cannot have it appear longer, only as a "Display Off" photo. But that means that it still doesn't display when you have the GPS on. However, when you have the Display off without using the GPS. the photo stays on all the time.

Bonnie
Old 02-15-13, 05:44 PM
UpodJohn
Driver School Candidate

"An image can be copied from a USB memory and used as the startup image.
When saving the images to a USB memory, name the folder that the startup image is saved to “StartupImage”. If these folder names are not used, the system cannot download the images. (The folder names are case sensitive.)"

The folder "StartupImage" must be sub to only the root folder and not any deeper.

[looks like someone pulled their spelling post!]

Last edited by UpodJohn; 02-15-13 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 11:34 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got mine to work

Did it pretty quickly actually. I sized mine to 1366x768 since the screen is 16x9 and thats the resolution on my computer. i tried 800x600 but it was cropped. it found the photos instantly in the folder when i plugged the mem stick. one thing though, it displays both the lexus screen and THEN my image, so i get 2 images in sequence. is there a way to kill off the default?

here is one of the images i made.
Attached Thumbnails StartupImage-lexback1.jpg  
Old 07-27-13, 05:41 PM
sford52
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could it be the "formatting" of the usb drives, ie Fat32 vs ntfs?
Maybe the recognized drives are fat32 and the unrecognized are ntfs?
Old 05-03-15, 01:58 PM
CEJoyce
Driver School Candidate

I have a MAC formatted USB drive. The fact that the TRANSFER light is not dim I figured the system saw my images. NOPE. My thinking is that the drive needs to be PC formatted.

Quick Reply: StartupImage