ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2013+ ES Series Smart Phone Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 04:24 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013+ ES Series Smart Phone Compatibility

I have an old "iPhone 3G" and it isn't listed for the 2013 ES, but the "3GS" is. I'm guessing that the 3G & GS would function about the same, compatibility-wise. Comments? My ES300h is due any time now and I'm considering a new Windows 8 system smart phone when it becomes available, for more Windows software compatibility across cell phone, desk top and pad. The Lexus ("Enform?") system doesn't list a Windows compatibility at all. What is your experience or best guess for functionality? I'm guessing that Bluetooth and most other functions will work even though it hasn't been tested by Toyota, but I'm certainly not confident of that. Any experience or knowledge to offer on the issues?
Old 09-03-12, 04:32 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gfr1
I have an old "iPhone 3G" and it isn't listed for the 2013 ES, but the "3GS" is. I'm guessing that the 3G & GS would function about the same, compatibility-wise. Comments? My ES300h is due any time now and I'm considering a new Windows 8 system smart phone when it becomes available, for more Windows software compatibility across cell phone, desk top and pad. The Lexus ("Enform?") system doesn't list a Windows compatibility at all. What is your experience or best guess for functionality? I'm guessing that Bluetooth and most other functions will work even though it hasn't been tested by Toyota, but I'm certainly not confident of that. Any experience or knowledge to offer on the issues?
My guess is that the software will be updated on a regular basis to accommodate the latest phones. With Windows 8 phones and the new iPhone coming out shortly it would be short-sighted on Toyota's part to not have that capability. You might want to contact your dealer or Lexus directly to know for certain.
Old 09-04-12, 03:38 PM
CurryPot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an HTC Trophy running Windows Mobile 8, ES300h. No problems todate. Bluetooth Streaming Audio works along with sending and receiving calls.
Old 09-04-12, 05:40 PM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have one that actually supports the text messaging features (SMS) or will list the artist, album and song when using streaming. I've tried 3 different phones (2 Android, 1 iPhone) but have yet to see these features.

My HTC Amaze works pretty well with the exception of these features.
Old 09-04-12, 08:11 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by evileye
Anyone have one that actually supports the text messaging features (SMS) or will list the artist, album and song when using streaming. I've tried 3 different phones (2 Android, 1 iPhone) but have yet to see these features.

My HTC Amaze works pretty well with the exception of these features.
Check out this URL: http://www.lexus.com/MobileLink/ It doesn't list the ES300h, but does list the ES350 and 2013 model year. If you input your vehicle information, you can then sort through combinations of smart phone brands and models to find one that best suits your desired features. Of course there are many phones that aren't listed/tested and any number of those might do just as well or better, but if you want to see a reference list, this is it, as far as I know. I guess, if your phone is not on this list, you just have to find the opportunity to try it. From the listings, it appears that some brands are getting more testing than others.
Old 09-08-12, 05:52 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus enform was developed for Apple IOS 4.3 or higher..

And Android plus Blackberry. If you get navigation and want use the App suite you should stay with the Apple universe. If you only want to use the Bluetooth for phone and audio then most will work. The phone development cycle is very fast compared to the car design cycle so you are right not to make any assumptions. Blackberry has been bleeding market share to Apple and Google based Android smartphones. Now Microsoft is jumping into the mobile market fray with Windows 8 which will work across platforms. This didn't exist when Lexus designed the current Navigation system with Lexus enform. Stay tuned....
Old 09-13-12, 08:23 AM
skydriver
Driver School Candidate

Default iPhone 5 iOS 6

Originally Posted by Rockville
And Android plus Blackberry. If you get navigation and want use the App suite you should stay with the Apple universe. If you only want to use the Bluetooth for phone and audio then most will work. The phone development cycle is very fast compared to the car design cycle so you are right not to make any assumptions. Blackberry has been bleeding market share to Apple and Google based Android smartphones. Now Microsoft is jumping into the mobile market fray with Windows 8 which will work across platforms. This didn't exist when Lexus designed the current Navigation system with Lexus enform. Stay tuned....
I have a new 2013 ES350 with Luxury/Nav package. How do you think the new iPhone 5 will integrate into Lexus Apps and enform? Looking to get the new iPhone 5 but concern how the new "Lightning" connector will work with an adapter.
Old 09-13-12, 10:37 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skydriver
I have a new 2013 ES350 with Luxury/Nav package. How do you think the new iPhone 5 will integrate into Lexus Apps and enform? Looking to get the new iPhone 5 but concern how the new "Lightning" connector will work with an adapter.
Sky, if the iP5 works like the iP4 and 4s, you won't need any cable at all. Setup and daily use is all done via Bluetooth. So no worries about the Lightning connector or adapter.

Took me under 3 minutes to connect my iP4, including import my entire address book from the phone.

p.s. My iP4 never leaves my pants pocket. Bluetooth signal is strong and reliable. Connects automatically when I press the START button, and that's including both the phone and the iTunes playback.

Last edited by winsalem; 09-13-12 at 10:40 AM. Reason: one more thing
Old 09-13-12, 11:32 AM
skydriver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by winsalem
Sky, if the iP5 works like the iP4 and 4s, you won't need any cable at all. Setup and daily use is all done via Bluetooth. So no worries about the Lightning connector or adapter.

Took me under 3 minutes to connect my iP4, including import my entire address book from the phone.

p.s. My iP4 never leaves my pants pocket. Bluetooth signal is strong and reliable. Connects automatically when I press the START button, and that's including both the phone and the iTunes playback.
winsalem
Thanks that's good to hear. I'll be new to Apple/iPhone but going to make the switch to make Apple even bigger.
Old 09-15-12, 11:15 AM
GVVTS
Rookie

Bluetooth will work fine (HFP & A2DP) but Windows phone 8 developers have no plans of creating an Enform app; so there is no, nor will there be in the future Enform App Suite support for Windows phone 8.

Some Android devices work great with it. iPhones work OK (iPhone 5 should be much better with LTE).

Lexus.com/mobilelink is outdated right now.
Old 09-16-12, 07:20 PM
raul0365
Driver School Candidate

I searched the mobilelink website and found the information concerning the iPhone 4S. My wife just switched from the Blackberry to the iPhone. The Blackberry allowed text messages to be read out load, but the iPhone doesn't. We are upset for not doing the research earlier. I assumed that the top car would ensure the top phone is able to be used. If anyone has any insight or can educate me in any way, please do. Does anyone know of an update or if I am doing something wrong?
Old 09-17-12, 10:13 AM
evileye
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure why anyone is touting Apple as the best integeration with the App suite. The apps work just fine with my Android. I find most of the apps useless but they do work.

Don't rely solely on the phone compatibility list. For one, it doesn't list every phone. Second, it isn't always correct.
Old 03-08-13, 01:36 PM
SuriNair
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by raul0365
I searched the mobilelink website and found the information concerning the iPhone 4S. My wife just switched from the Blackberry to the iPhone. The Blackberry allowed text messages to be read out load, but the iPhone doesn't. We are upset for not doing the research earlier. I assumed that the top car would ensure the top phone is able to be used. If anyone has any insight or can educate me in any way, please do. Does anyone know of an update or if I am doing something wrong?
I am also in a similar situation... gave up my BB and switched to Galaxy SIII and now my Lexus is not able to alert or read my incoming emails and text messages!!!! What a shame!!! Will this be fixed?
Old 03-10-13, 10:20 AM
legirl
Driver School Candidate

Evileye, we have a 2013 300h, fire agate pearl with oarchment int. From day one we have had trouble with the compatibility issue. Our Galaxy S-III will not download/pair all my contacts to the car. Car's capacity is 1000. Phone contains 435. It will randomly pair 314!!

Lexus CUSTOMER SATISFACTION (I hope this isn't an oxymororn) advises that it is a Verizon, then a Samsubg, then a BluTooth problem. Then they admit they've been having "ISSUES" with Galaxy S-III and I-Phones.

Those are only the two best selling smart phones on the market. Perhaps they'll get it right with upgrades but for now it's very frustrating to buy a 50K car, and not be able to enjoy some of it's primary features.j
Old 03-10-13, 11:02 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SuriNair
I am also in a similar situation... gave up my BB and switched to Galaxy SIII and now my Lexus is not able to alert or read my incoming emails and text messages!!!! What a shame!!! Will this be fixed?
My SIII reads texts fine.

Quick Reply: 2013+ ES Series Smart Phone Compatibility