ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Old 08-28-12, 11:42 AM
kesando
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Audio?

For those that have heard it in the new '13 ES 350 and 300h, what do you guys think of it? We recently went to go see an ES 300h that had the Luxury Package with Navigation and the standard lexus audio system. While we all agreed that it is a beautiful car, we were a bit underwhelmed by the standard 8 speaker audio system.

How much better is the ML system over the standard and is it worth the upgrade in your opinion?

Last edited by kesando; 09-08-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 12:02 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

IMO the ML system is leagues better than the standard Pioneer.
Old 08-28-12, 06:19 PM
RTSM
Driver

I am curious about the new ML system as well as Lexus advertised it as being much more efficient and powerful. I think it is because they are running the amp at more normal impedances such as 2 and 4ohms instead of the previous 8 and 16ohms. to those who have heard the new ML system let us know what you have found compared to the current 2007-2012 version!
Old 09-01-12, 08:41 PM
MForce
Driver School Candidate

Default Sweet Sounding

Took delivery on U/L with ML stereo system yesterday. It sounds exceptional. It is so tuned to the car that it's amazing.
If you close your eyes it's like being at a live performance.

Mark F
Old 09-02-12, 10:41 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kesando
For those that have heard it in the new '13 ES 350 and 300h, what do you guys think of it? We recently went to go see an ES 300h that had the Luxury Package with Navigation and the standard lexus audio system. While we all agreed that it is a beautiful car, we were a bit underwhelmed by the standard 8 speaker audio system.

How much better is the ML system over the standard and is it worth the upgrade in your opinion?
By the way, the name is "Mark Levinson". Trivia: He is a former husband of actress Kim Cattrall.

And yes, the ML system is truly brilliant and worth every penny in sedans. In my opinion, the ML is wa$ted in SUVs which tend to be louder (tire/road noise) and tough in which to properly balance the unique virtues of the ML (elongated cabin). I had it in my '05 RX and felt the standard system in my next RX was actually a little better than the ML.
Old 09-02-12, 02:45 PM
kesando
Rookie

Originally Posted by winsalem
By the way, the name is "Mark Levinson". Trivia: He is a former husband of actress Kim Cattrall.

And yes, the ML system is truly brilliant and worth every penny in sedans. In my opinion, the ML is wa$ted in SUVs which tend to be louder (tire/road noise) and tough in which to properly balance the unique virtues of the ML (elongated cabin). I had it in my '05 RX and felt the standard system in my next RX was actually a little better than the ML.
Intersting and good to know

BTW, My Parents just pulled the trigger on a Fire Agate Pearl ES300h with the UL package, ML audio and navigation. They will pick up the car next Thursday after the dealer installed options are installed. That said, they did give the ML system a quick listen and did notice a big differnce over the stock lexus audio. I will be down there on Friday to post some pics and also give the ML audio a thorough listen.
Old 09-04-12, 09:26 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock system today is a joke for a luxury car, although it used to be much better. Around '01 - '02, Lexus let the audio quality slip, and learned that it could continue to cut corners without adversely affecting sales, as most people are not critical listeners (witness the success of MP3s over high-resolution formats).

If you want something approaching accurate music reproduction, you really have no choice but to opt for the ML system. That's not to say you'll get your money's worth -- while there have been noticeable improvements in the last few years, the ML system should be better for what Lexus charges for it.
Old 09-04-12, 10:47 AM
mikedege
Rookie

Are there 3 different systems? I know I don't have the ML. I do have the NAV + tech package,and I find the audio system kicks !@#. It sounds very good, especially when I turn it way up. Way better than my previous 2009 MBZ upgraded audio. And better than any audio I've ever had before in any of my high end cars. Actually the sound quality amazes me, Its hard to believe the ML can be THAT much better, I should go listen to one to compare.

-Mike
Old 09-04-12, 05:09 PM
LexVince
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikedege
Are there 3 different systems? I know I don't have the ML. I do have the NAV + tech package,and I find the audio system kicks !@#. It sounds very good, especially when I turn it way up. Way better than my previous 2009 MBZ upgraded audio. And better than any audio I've ever had before in any of my high end cars. Actually the sound quality amazes me, Its hard to believe the ML can be THAT much better, I should go listen to one to compare.

-Mike
Not sure if Lex offers more than two audio systems, but I agree with your opinion. I'm current awaiting delivery on my third new Lex (2013 Nebula Gray Peral w/Nav and Lex Premiun Audio System - black interior) and find the audio to be exceptional. I'm used to BOSE audio in my home and feel that it sounds very similar to the Lex standard radio. Don't think that I would consider adding to the cost for an ML system even if it does sound a bit better than the stock version. Naturally, it's all about personal perference.
Old 09-04-12, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Just don't listen to the ML system and you'll be perfectly appy with the base system

Once you hear the ML though...
Old 09-05-12, 06:07 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Just don't listen to the ML system and you'll be perfectly appy with the base system

Once you hear the ML though...
You're fortunate that you got the 2010 -- that was the first model year where the ML system is capable of reproducing discrete 5.1 from DVD-As. Previous versions (mine included) have a processing throughput limitation at the amp input, so DVD-As are downmixed to stereo.

I found someone at Harman Becker (the speaker and amp manufacturer) who explained that it was a budgeting issue -- essentially what features and capabilities they can provide at a certain price point. Apparently, the cost curve improved so that by 2010 they were finally able to include high-resolution discrete 5.1 processing.
Old 09-05-12, 08:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Not so fortunate that my 2010 has the ML Mine has the standard audio but I've heard the ML...its much better. Wasn't worth another $4k, $120 a month on my lease though.
Old 09-05-12, 09:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Not so fortunate that my 2010 has the ML Mine has the standard audio but I've heard the ML...its much better. Wasn't worth another $4k, $120 a month on my lease though.
$4K for the NAV/ML pkg.
Old 09-06-12, 09:39 PM
photoguy
Rookie

If you use the premium system the right way it can sound great (don't use XM).

Neither system has powerful bass.

The speaker count is all hype, most high end music systems purposely do not use 18 speakers. Surround sound doesn't help most music. You may be thinking, but it has to help immerse you in the sound right? Seems like it would but it doesn't unless it's a movie.

My opinion is if you are not an audiophile both systems will be great. If you are neither system may be enough. 80/20 rule applies. Maybe the ML system makes it 85/15 instead of 80/20.

As we speak mine is being replaced - I want the last 15%.

Some more thoughts on how to make both lexus systems sound their best as is:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...udiophile.html
Old 09-07-12, 05:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems ML sounds better in some models than others.
In a LS it's great.Very disappointing in a GS I owned.Having owned a ES with premium sound and without ML,the ML system is much better than the premium sound to me.
I've read in the RX,ML is not so great.
I listen to music fairly loud and that's when ML sounds much better than the premium sound.
I do agree with Photoguy on ML's lack of powerful bass.
Having heard the Bang & Olufsen in my son in law's S 550 and the A8,that's the best system I've heard in a vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?