ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 07:47 AM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
My dealer has ordered the new amp for me. I have not filed a Lemon Law case.
Awesome!!!!! did your dealer ensure it was the 3rd gen amp? b/c if the new amp is not released like some are saying you may not get the newest amp.

when you get it installed. put on Drake, started from the bottom. full bass, crank it up to level 50 or something. it should hit! no distortion in the back. you will know right away if its the new amp or not.

good luck.
Old 08-08-13, 08:21 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is currently at JM Lexus having the amp installed. I have been assured it is the latest and will fix the problem.

I have a DVD with a heavy bass song that they listed to that causes distortion in the low 40 volume range and will be able to easily tell if the problem is resolved.

They gave me a 2013 300h as a loaner that has the stock premium sound system which is pretty good for a standard system, but what a difference. For those of you who have not bought yet and can afford the ML system, don't even hesitate. It is night and day better.
Old 08-08-13, 06:54 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I picked up my car tonight and the distortion is gone and the bass is greatly improved.

My impression is that the bass has been greatly reduced to the rear sub and greatly increased to the front subs. In any case, the distortion is gone, the overall sound is much improved and I am even more pleased with the system overall than I was before.

One issue has cropped up though. The sound when playing FM stations is tremendous, but the output volume seems subdued from the DVD player, perhaps 20 points lower (the FM sound is extremely loud at volume level 30-35 but the DVD player is not loud until 40-45.. It is still acceptable but when playing the FM radio, the bass is so strong, the car vibrates, but not so much with the DVD player (but it is still excellent). I do not have XM activated right now but may turn it back on now. I will be contacting the dealer about this.
Old 08-09-13, 06:07 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I just reactivated XM and the sound is awesome, as good as the FM. The new amp ROCKS! Patience pays!

JM Lexus is an exceptional dealer in Broward County, FL and has always and continues to provide exceptional customer service in every way. I guess that is why they are the #1 Lexus dealer I believe in the world.
Old 08-09-13, 06:10 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ElliotB
I picked up my car tonight and the distortion is gone and the bass is greatly improved.

My impression is that the bass has been greatly reduced to the rear sub and greatly increased to the front subs. In any case, the distortion is gone, the overall sound is much improved and I am even more pleased with the system overall than I was before.

One issue has cropped up though. The sound when playing FM stations is tremendous, but the output volume seems subdued from the DVD player, perhaps 20 points lower (the FM sound is extremely loud at volume level 30-35 but the DVD player is not loud until 40-45.. It is still acceptable but when playing the FM radio, the bass is so strong, the car vibrates, but not so much with the DVD player (but it is still excellent). I do not have XM activated right now but may turn it back on now. I will be contacting the dealer about this.
ElliotB, that is great news, thank you for the update. I will have to inform my dealer and see if he can order the new amp.
Old 08-09-13, 08:18 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Are there any part numbers that can be referenced ? Would it be on the invoice ?
Old 08-09-13, 09:00 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

I will check the invoice for you but my service writer was aware of this in advance.
Old 08-09-13, 11:05 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calm
So how do you put a price on this option since it is packaged in the "Ultra Luxury Package" at $8,700 USD or for the delta between this package and the "Luxury Package with Additional Options Package" meaning $2,375 USD?

The "service credit" that I have been offered so far is a bad joke regarding this issue and would be interested in getting a refund for this poorly designed / implemented "premium" option.
After sending a letter to the Toyota Motor Sales USA VP of Customer Services, Lexus Division, I was contacted by an "Executive Coordinator", who, after asking me to describe in detail my concerns, determined that the ML component of the package price was $1,600, and offered me a check in that amount. I accepted his appraisal, and the check.
Old 08-09-13, 06:54 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

After having a chance to listen to the system for several hours now, I am absolutely thrilled with it. The sound is absolutely amazing. The bass is tremendous - the car even vibrates at volume level 30. The low volume bass is rich and deep. The fix is better than I have hoped for.

As a long time XM listener, I was disappointed to give it up but it sounded so bad with the old amp, I stopped listening to it. I reactivated it today and It sounds great with the new one, with high volume levels close to the FM radio and rich, clear sound all around, in the lows and highs.

I feel like I have a new car, or at least a totally different audio system. I knew given a reasonable period of time, Lexus would come through!
Old 08-13-13, 10:58 AM
calm
Driver School Candidate

I am working with the corporate team to see if I can get a rebate as well; I am not getting my hopes up but I have to try.

Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by bobsobi
After sending a letter to the Toyota Motor Sales USA VP of Customer Services, Lexus Division, I was contacted by an "Executive Coordinator", who, after asking me to describe in detail my concerns, determined that the ML component of the package price was $1,600, and offered me a check in that amount. I accepted his appraisal, and the check.
Old 08-15-13, 01:33 AM
Driver School Candidate

I've been complaining to lexus about the Mark Levinson audio in my 2013 ES 300 H since I purchased it last October. Lexus has now replaced the amplifier two different times. I believe I now have the latest amplifier which seems to have turned the power and bass to the subwoofer and rear speakers down substantially. I am now using the fader control to properly balanced the sound in my car and I have to say it does sound substantially better- without the distortion and vibrations I was hearing before.
Old 08-27-13, 12:38 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

I would agree with this assessment.

While I am agreeable that the distortion has been removed since getting the vehicle back yesterday from Lexus, I am disappointed that the system seems to have been addressed by increasing power to the front and door speakers while substantially underpowering the rear speakers in my layman opinion.

I had to shift three ticks from middle/default via fader control from front to rear to get an even sound in the cabin. This appears to be true regardless of source and if DSP or ASL are enabled/disabled.

I should have some science to back this up as I am dropping the car off after the holiday with those I had assess the distortion issue independantly before as I has preparing for a Lemon Law claim.

I am waiting for the 2014s to arrive; I am really curious as to the ML experience in those ES3xxs.

Cheers

Originally Posted by 619
I've been complaining to lexus about the Mark Levinson audio in my 2013 ES 300 H since I purchased it last October. Lexus has now replaced the amplifier two different times. I believe I now have the latest amplifier which seems to have turned the power and bass to the subwoofer and rear speakers down substantially. I am now using the fader control to properly balanced the sound in my car and I have to say it does sound substantially better- without the distortion and vibrations I was hearing before.
Old 08-27-13, 12:41 PM
calm
Driver School Candidate

I would advocate that any ES300h/350 customer utilize the complaint process to secure a rebate for this issue.

I can now count myself with others on getting some financial remediation beyond a general service credit.

Best of luck to all of you.

Originally Posted by calm
I am working with the corporate team to see if I can get a rebate as well; I am not getting my hopes up but I have to try.

Thanks for the information.
Old 08-27-13, 06:11 PM
RazSrq
Driver School Candidate

Late to the conversation, but I picked up my 13 ES UL about 2 weeks ago. It had to be special ordered and shipped to the U.S. Having recently come out of the factory, I was curious if a change might have ben made to the amp. I gave the ML system a good run through today and listened hard for low end distortion. Nothing there that I could distinguish.

After 20 years as a club and event deejay (past life), I have a fairly good ear. The sound stage presence floats a little, but with proper balance and mix you can really make this system sound full and significant. Definitely worth the investment IMO. I will update the board if anything changes, but I think my vehicle does not have this problem.
Old 08-27-13, 06:54 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good for you and good to know. Maybe Lexus took notice and made some changes.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?