ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Mark Levinson Audio?

Old 03-22-13, 02:26 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps it's more of a system from Harman with the ML name slapped on for appearance.

John
Old 03-22-13, 03:12 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Default Ml

Originally Posted by txes
Perhaps it's more of a system from Harman with the ML name slapped on for appearance.

John
You are correct. Mark levinson is a brand of Harman. harman also makes the speakers for our vehicles and they are manufactured in Mexico I believe.

We must continue to call and complain because by installing an aftermarket system we are voiding warranties and waiting the money we originally spent on the system.

Because the speakers are made by the same company as the amp manufacturer we are in luck. If harman is able to confirm that the sub is the weakest link in this system they can review their inventory of sub speakers and find another one that is adequate. What I hope is they have another 8" shallow mount sub that will fit into the cavity of the sub assembly. They will defiantly not redesign the assembly.
Old 03-22-13, 04:06 PM
Robdog1515
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sonnie
The sub is definitely bottoming out on mine. Since he is not a tech guy, he may not understand what that means. It is also not ever going to be adequate for all types of music fully cranked. I am not aware of an 8" shallow mount sub made that would be adequate. Too much or not enough power is related to gain... and it is going to be too much gain from the amp to the sub. You can cut it down, which should help with distortion, but it is also going to reduce the amount of bass to the sub, which will require adding bass via the controls, which is probably centered around 100Hz.

I don't know about the sub because I could not find any label on it, but the front dash speakers are stamped with an ML label, although I did not realize ML was a foreign made product.

I will probably do what I suspected we would end up having to do before we purchased the car, add a better aftermarket sub and maybe an JBL MS-8 processor. I listened intently again today and I think a lot of the problem I am hearing with the mids and highs is due to unlevel matched speakers up front. All I could hear were the 3.5" dash speakers... and they were harsh to my ears... sometimes tinny, as previously mentioned. Possibly replacing those with some really good quality 3.5 " coaxial speakers with a soft dome tweeter would help. I am thinking Hertz Hi-Energy.
Sonnie, you stated the sub is bottoming out. Do you feel it is over traveling down into the trunk and hitting the plastic frame shown in the photo you posted? Or is it bottoming out the other way into the magnet? I would have to guess its hitting the plastic cage shown in the photo. If it were removed, could this prevent the sub from hitting?

After work I will stick my finger up there and feel if its hitting the plastic when I hear the distortion.

I sent an email to harman. I would love to know the sub size in all the ML systems.
Es= 200mm I think
Gs= 250mm
Ls= ?
GX=?
LS=?
LX=?

If I knew there was another 200mm sub and no one has reported issues because its a better quality sub then that could be the fix.
Old 03-23-13, 06:40 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

I still cannot understand why Lexus would not put better quality speakers, as in the GS & LS we pay for it so why cut corners on the ES. I am really suprise I am yet to hear back from United Radio or Harman on this issue, I e-mailed 2weeks ago and this week again and no reply, has anyone else tried?
Old 03-23-13, 07:03 AM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pre-2010 LS models had an issue with its audio system and the 'fix' involved toning down the volume, especially on satellite radio. From descriptions on CL, they are attempting to do the same thing with the ES.

Last edited by ElliotB; 03-23-13 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 09:13 AM
ICnothing
Rookie

If Lexus claim 835 watt system, and is a premium system that is what it should sound like. Toning down the volume is not a fix for the consumer that bought the product but help Lexus.
Old 03-23-13, 11:47 AM
RajaG
Driver School Candidate

Default Subwoofer or the amp?

I believe I saw in another thread that it is the amp that is the problem, overloading the sub?
Old 03-23-13, 04:48 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robdog1515
Sonnie, you stated the sub is bottoming out. Do you feel it is over traveling down into the trunk and hitting the plastic frame shown in the photo you posted? Or is it bottoming out the other way into the magnet? I would have to guess its hitting the plastic cage shown in the photo. If it were removed, could this prevent the sub from hitting?
I am not all that familiar with the inverted motor design, but assuming the sub is in phase, it is likely exceeding its excursion limits upward (north). I don't think the plastic cover would come into play, but I have not played it and actually looked at it. I have never been a proponent of shallow mount subs, although I think there might be a couple of pretty good ones on the market. The two 8" shallow mount subs in our previous 528i were rolled off at 50Hz... so that they were difficult to bottom.

Originally Posted by RajaG
I believe I saw in another thread that it is the amp that is the problem, overloading the sub?
That is what Harman is suggesting... and naturally lowering the gain on the amp is going to lower the output of the sub, thereby lowering the chances of the sub bottoming out, but that is not really a fix, as has been noted by several. We can also lower the bass control and the volume to prevent bottoming. I think most of us that are complaining like our music a little louder, which is going to cause that particular sub to bottom.
Old 03-24-13, 10:18 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike728
I tried a DVD-A disc when I was test driving. It took the disc, gave no errors, but I heard nothing. I would love if it played DVD-A and SACD. Oh well, you can't have everything.
The ML head unit never played SACDs, but it was certainly capable of reading DVD-As.

Was the DVD-A you tried a commercially-released disc? If so, then this defect is a deal breaker.

No 2013 ES for me; I'll continue to convert my DVD-As to 5.1 DTS Music Discs for my 2009 ML.
Old 03-24-13, 12:43 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsobi
Was the DVD-A you tried a commercially-released disc?
Yes, it was the commercial release of STP's "Core" DVD-A disc. I'm wondering if I didn't give it enough time, though, as there's a long delay before the first song, IIRC. I'll try it and another disc in a day or two and report back.
Old 03-24-13, 03:32 PM
RajaG
Driver School Candidate

I called a salesman yesterday about a 300h, and he claimed that he had never heard of issues regarding the ML sound system. They, the salesmen, seem totally oblivious to any problems pertaining to a car. I suspect the service people might be more reliable but I suspect even they would be likely to hide any such issues from a potential buyer.
Old 03-24-13, 03:41 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RajaG
I suspect the service people might be more reliable but I suspect even they would be likely to hide any such issues from a potential buyer.
Probably represents a small number of vehicles with the ML option sold. More than likely, they truly haven't heard of any complaints. Just to be safe, test it yourself before you buy.
Old 03-24-13, 07:09 PM
Sonnie
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah... our dealer had 12-14 ES350's in stock and zero with the ML system. They had to reach 8 hours south to get our car with the UL package, which includes the ML system. He said they sell very few of the ones with the UL package and it seems those only represent about 15-20% of the total ES350 inventory.
Old 03-25-13, 03:24 AM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a 300H and having the same problem, with the distortion and sounds like the subwoofer cannot take the bass or bottoming out. I went to my dealership and they said they never heard of a problem with the Mark Levinson system in the ES models. After reading the forum here it seems to be an issue and I need to go back to the dealership. The system in my Acura TL was much better (sound wise). I guess when you take a car for a test drive you do not think of cranking your stereo.
Old 03-25-13, 05:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bobsobi
The ML head unit never played SACDs, but it was certainly capable of reading DVD-As.

Was the DVD-A you tried a commercially-released disc? If so, then this defect is a deal breaker.

No 2013 ES for me; I'll continue to convert my DVD-As to 5.1 DTS Music Discs for my 2009 ML.
Ok, so I obviously didn't wait long enough for the first track to play. I totally forgot that most DVD-A's have more than just the PCM layer. The majority have a Dolby Digital, and/or, a DTS layer so they can play in standard DVD players. I confirmed the disc does play and sounds great in my 2013 ML equipped ES.

I'll look through my collection when I get home and see if, by chance, I have any single layer DVD-A's to try out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Audio?