Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 10:04 AM
djrobsd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 17 months.. 32mpg and dropping

Overall average since driving off the lot, never reset: 35mpg
Current average: 32.. Seems to be dropping

Running tires at the recommended factory psi, check them with TPMS regularly. Only drive the car a couple days a week. Mixed trips, sometimes a 100 mile round trip commute into the city with hilly terrain on the 15 freeway in Southern California, other times just a quick couple mile trip to the grocery store and back.

Always run the car in ECO mode. I do sometimes have a lead foot if someone agitates me or I'm in a grumpy mood lol, but most of the time I just gently press the pedal when the light turns green.

Highway driving: Speed limit here is 70, usually run around 75-80 with the rest of the traffic on the freeway (we like it fast in SoCal!). I'm sure it would get better MPG if I just drove it 70, but when you're driving 100 miles round trip the 10mph gives you an extra 15 minutes of time back.

Not sure why this car is so inconsistent from the EPA MPG, our Prius consistently gets 51MPG on each fill up. No matter how soft or hard I drive it,.. But it's a Prius and not as comfy as the Lexus.
Old 01-12-15, 04:04 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Are "electric heaters" something installed for Canada? In the US, as far as I know, the engine will just run more to keep the radiator temperature and the cat converter temperature in the optimal range. That will affect mileage, but not like A/C which has a battery draw.
I typically drive the same 15 miles route almost every day on my commute. I try to have a few bars showing on the battery as I exit the freeway knowing that there is a stop light just beyond and typically I have to stop for a couple of minutes for it to cycle through. Most times, the engine typically cuts out to save FE at the stop lights if the battery is above 2 bars, but may continue to run to recharge the battery if it's at 2 bars. I think that's the way its been designed to run.

Occasionally, I've noticed that my FE will drop as I'm waiting at a stop light as the engine continues to run even though the engine is already warmed up and the battery at 3 bars +. So trying to figure out why the engine is still running, I press the EV button, but the dash says this mode is not available.

I turn off the vent fan and the engine stops. I turn on the vent fan and the engine kicks back on. This happens occasionally but not all the time. The weather here has ranged between 40 -60 degrees with only the vent fan. I guess the fan and possibly any other electrical draw may keep the engine running and effects the FE. Must be the computer algorithm?

Not to complain but I'm currently getting between 35-38 mpg during the winter which is a little less than 37-40 mpg in the summer even with AC. Or it could just be me .
Old 01-12-15, 07:51 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
I just realized I haven't said anything about gas mileage, yet. ..

I didn't buy my es300h for fuel mileage. I have a long commute, but there is an HOV lane on that highway. So, I actually bought an HOV-lane sticker. It just came with a car attached. My previous car was a Camry hybrid, bought for the same reason. I decided to buy the new car because the Camry just wore out -- beginning to want lots of small repairs.

Before the Camry, my previous car was a Tundra with a V8 motor. It got something like 14 mpg. I played with hyper-mileing for the first couple years with the Camry, but in the traffic around here I never got much better than 38 mpg. When I stopped worrying about it, and just continued to drive gently, I got about 35 mpg. I figured, 3mpg isn't worth a lot of trouble. Moving from a 12mpg Tundra to a 35-ish mpg Camry cut my fuel bill by two thirds. Going from 35 to 38 would not make much difference.

So far, this es is getting just about the same 36-ish mpg. That includes driving 74 (indicated) on the highway when I can, and keeping up with traffic the rest of the time, for a 50-mile-per-day commute in a major urban area. (Around here, they don't stop people for going 74, paying attention, and staying middle of the lane with some following distance. There are plenty of fools going 85 or 90, weaving across three lanes while texting and/or drunk, and hitting other cars in the process, to keep the cops busy.)

One detail I like is, when traffic congests for a collision, I can remain stopped or idle at 5-10 mph without running the gas motor very much. The great advantage of a hybrid is not at highway speed. The great advantage is in stop-and-go traffic. I can actually hear my stereo, without all the noise (except, of course, from the other cars).

THIS!

the 5-10 min I save commuting daily more than make up the premium over the es350 model.
Old 01-13-15, 06:23 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
I turn off the vent fan and the engine stops. I turn on the vent fan and the engine kicks back on. This happens occasionally but not all the time. The weather here has ranged between 40 -60 degrees with only the vent fan. I guess the fan and possibly any other electrical draw may keep the engine running and effects the FE. Must be the computer algorithm?

Not to complain but I'm currently getting between 35-38 mpg during the winter which is a little less than 37-40 mpg in the summer even with AC. Or it could just be me .
The ES300h has an electric compressor for AC so it's supposed to be a lot more efficient than a belt-driven one and it can run with the engine off. I read about the electric heater thing but I can't confirm if it's only with a cold weather package or if all ES300h have it. Apparently the engine is very efficient and there's not much waste heat that goes through the heater core, so the engine needs to run to keep the cabin warm. Whether that heat is from the engine coolant or an electric heater, I don't know.

What seriously annoys me is cold air coming out of the vents even with temperatures set to 24C (Normal mode, not Eco). Sometimes the AC runs to dehumidify the cabin and it's a nasty surprise to get a cold breeze when it's freezing outside.
Old 01-15-15, 09:44 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Here is a good article from a Prius chat room:

Due to the Prius' typically high baseline mpg figure, the mileage drops may seem worse than they really are. To quote from Car and Driver: Mileage? No, it's Your Gallonage that Really Counts

There's a sneaky illusion in mpg numbers. Consider: If your pickup rated at 10 mpg gets only 9, you shrug and say it's off only 1 mpg. But if you drive a hybrid labeled 50 mpg and it drops the same 10 percent to 45, you complain of lousy mileage.

The illusion tricks you once again when you think of mpg instead of the fuel you actually burn. Hybrids are chosen by people who think saving gas is right up there on the list of American virtues with motherhood and voting. But when the hybrid gets 45 mpg instead of the expected 50, a 100-mile trip consumes less than a quarter of a gallon more than expected. Compare that with the pickup that gets 9 mpg instead of 10; its 100-mile trip burns 1.1 extra gallons.

The loss of 10 percent on the pickup's mileage actually burns five times the extra gas used by the 10-percent shortfall in the hybrid...

Here are some sample calculations to illustrate the above:
100 miles / 50 mpg = 2 gallons used
100 miles / 45 mpg = 2.22 gallons used

100 miles / 20 mpg = 5 gallons used
100 miles / 18 mpg = 5.56 gallons used

So, if you had a 20 mpg vehicle that dropped to 18 mpg, you might not even notice it or dismiss it as noise. Yet, the 2 mpg drop in that vehicle actually caused ~2.5x more consumption.
Old 01-15-15, 10:06 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

And that's why I've got my fuel consumption shown in liters / 100 km It's easy to compare a percentage delta and a total volume delta between cars. For non-metric users there's nothing outside mpg... No gpm?
Old 01-15-15, 08:24 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chromedome
And that's why I've got my fuel consumption shown in liters / 100 km It's easy to compare a percentage delta and a total volume delta between cars. For non-metric users there's nothing outside mpg... No gpm?
Still hard for me to wrap my head around km/L. And I thought I was an engineer.
Old 01-19-15, 06:17 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

42 mpg with last tank, mostly highway, with my ES300h.
Old 02-06-15, 08:33 PM
Mhobizal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@djrobsd, I'm at around 35.9 average with a total of 15K miles in one year of owning the car. Previous tank I was getting 38.9 mpg and then this tank I'm at 37.

Very inconsistent.
Old 02-07-15, 04:47 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mhobizal
@djrobsd, I'm at around 35.9 average with a total of 15K miles in one year of owning the car. Previous tank I was getting 38.9 mpg and then this tank I'm at 37.

Very inconsistent.
I wouldn't consider that inconsistent. All it takes is a change in weather or driving conditions to get a couple of miles per gallon change. In fact when we went from 70s to 30s in December mine varied a lot more than less than 2 mpg which you are experiencing.
Old 02-07-15, 04:52 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
Still hard for me to wrap my head around km/L. And I thought I was an engineer.
After a few years of using both systems I find it relatively easy to switch back and forth. Temperatures of F and C are even easier. However to manually calculate mpg is quite a bit easier than L/100km. But then I'm not an engineer. ;-)

I never use km/L and neither does any other Canadian I know. Interesting that Lexus has a readout in that measurement though.
Old 02-07-15, 08:14 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Currently getting 39-42 mpg actual calculated mileage, and essentially always in sport mode and 60% highway..

Even at today's gas prices, lovin' it. It's only when, not if oil/gas prices go back up.

Last edited by Canesguy; 02-09-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 10:03 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

I also enjoy driving by the gas pumps but once a month with the 300h. I started driving my GS V8 and don't miss filling it up every week.
Old 02-08-15, 10:36 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
As I wait for a fully loaded ultra luxury ES300h I thought it would be nice to see what gas mileage some of you lucky owners are getting.
I have a ES300h that the dealers in Florida call "ultra luxury", pretty well loaded. Only a couple of the options are not installed...

It gets 36 mpg, on average. Slightly better on surface streets. Slightly worse at uncongested highway speed. But a lot of my driving is on heavily congested highway.
Old 02-09-15, 05:53 AM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 300H gas mileage

I am in Florida and now have 30K miles on my 2013 300H. Run it in Normal mode and have not reset my average MPG readout setting in about 6K miles and it shows an average of 43.1 mpg. I find by not resetting the average miles per gallon readout I am less preoccupied with tank to tank variation. Can always go and look at the "since last refill" readout to see variations

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage