Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 05:04 PM
ovation
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my 2013 for 12k miles now, and consistently get 38 mpg overall. This includes highway driving at 75-80, sometimes more. This is very good considering how fast I drive. I did a long highway run once, holding steady at 65 and being very careful with smooth starts, and got 41 mpg. Boring drive. I also notice that when my wife drives she ALWAYS gets 35 mpg. Heavy on the gas and brake.

My advice is don't worry about a few MPGs. At this high MPG rate a small difference in MPG results in less of a cost difference than at lower MPG.
Old 08-14-14, 01:10 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

New car, just 300 km on the clock with mostly city driving, and I'm getting 6.1 L/100 km or about 39 mpg. That's about half down from my old car and it's a crazy number coming from a big, comfortable barge

I'm still amazed how Toyota managed to get efficient running and still have loads of in-gear torque for strong acceleration. It's a heck of a lot of fun spinning the dial into Sport mode and hammering the throttle from a highway onramp.
Old 08-26-14, 08:06 AM
Chardo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 months, 16k miles, still have yet to get over 34 mpg on a tank. Typically 32-33, lower in winter (cold, winter gas).
Old 08-26-14, 04:09 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To achieve higher mpg on a hybrid, your driving technique needs to change. Read up in this forum or the Prius forum what others do, but not everybody will get 40 mpg, and less driving like a normal gas vehicle.
Old 08-27-14, 02:12 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

A thousand miles in, I'm getting 39 mpg on highway runs at 70 mph and a high of 43 mpg in city driving, both with the AC on constantly in seriously steamy summer weather. I use cruise control on highways because it's smart enough to do regen charging on downhill slopes. I tried pulse and glide but it felt a bit too risky on congested roads. No point crashing into a semi just to save some fuel.

In the city, I look a long way ahead to anticipate traffic lights changing or cars changing speed so I don't have to do too much braking or accelerating. Jackrabbit starts and sudden stops are great ways to reduce fuel economy. Most of the time my car is either coasting or running on the traction battery.

I'm on Eco mode in the city and Normal mode on highways. Sport mode rarely gets used unless I'm pretending to do a rally stage up some hill roads

Last edited by chromedome; 08-27-14 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Drive modes
Old 08-27-14, 04:17 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
A thousand miles in, I'm getting 39 mpg on highway runs at 70 mph and a high of 43 mpg in city driving, both with the AC on constantly in seriously steamy summer weather. I use cruise control on highways because it's smart enough to do regen charging on downhill slopes. I tried pulse and glide but it felt a bit too risky on congested roads. No point crashing into a semi just to save some fuel.

In the city, I look a long way ahead to anticipate traffic lights changing or cars changing speed so I don't have to do too much braking or accelerating. Jackrabbit starts and sudden stops are great ways to reduce fuel economy. Most of the time my car is either coasting or running on the traction battery.

I'm on Eco mode in the city and Normal mode on highways. Sport mode rarely gets used unless I'm pretending to do a rally stage up some hill roads
I pretty much follow these driving habits except I don't generally use Eco mode as I find it too sluggish for my liking. At 3800 miles the avg. mpg is 41 driving a mix of city and highway..
Old 08-27-14, 07:44 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have nearly 15,000 miles on my car (11 months old) and I am averaging 33.6 with my best mileage at 37.1. This includes very low mileage using the winter gas mixture which give me about 30-31 mpg.

Until I hit NYC traffic, I am getting over 40 mpg, and then mileage drops with Manhattan traffic.

I try not to become a slave to the car to squeeze every mile out of the hybrid system. I just drive the car normally (and usually in NORMAL Mode). The car is to be driven for enjoyment and not to coast all the time. I do like to watch the monitoring window on the dash behind the steering wheel to see what is going on, but I am not obsessed with getting every mile out of my driving.

Last edited by jonmanch; 08-27-14 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-27-14, 06:32 PM
jkaloz
Driver School Candidate

39.7 after 15k miles, 60% hwy and typically leave it in ECO mode
Old 08-28-14, 08:12 AM
BIGABQ
Driver School Candidate

First, I will be getting my 300h next week here in Albuquerque. I just spent this morning reading every ones post on gets the best mileage they can. It gave me a smile as I remembered my youth growing up in Chicagoland with my '69 XKE and' 72 442 and get change from a 20 after fill ups. Now I can't wait looking to bust 40 mpg. I love get older.

'14 300h Red
Old 08-28-14, 10:16 AM
CurryPot
Driver

After 2 years of ownership and 25K miles, my tracking on fuelly.com shows 38.9 mpg overall, which importantly includes two winters worth.

This is mostly ECO mode with air con off below 45 mph. Recent mpg has been unreal, hitting 44 mpg on my commute to work in the morning. Changed the route slightly and the mornings are above 60 F. There is no freeway and I am mindful of my pedal whilst not pi$$ing off other commuters.

I do not expect drivers to do this well. I think 35 mpg overall is a better expectation. Nothing worst than reading about someone who is getting far better than you right?

Oh, and just did my first 700 mile tank. Sweating bullets only to find out that I had another gallon left in the tank - well may be.

Old 08-28-14, 12:10 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I also track on Fuelly.com and have filled up my 2013 ES300h 29 times since new in January 2013. Average since I purchased it is 35.9 mpg. Overall I get about 34 mpg in winter and 36.5 mpg in the summer. Great for my commute and such a large car. I leave it in ECO most of the time and AC on Auto.It is a great means of transportation, I am a very happy owner.

Last edited by jollick; 08-29-14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 03:46 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

This is the first car I've had that makes it fun to drive slow

On a run across the city in congested traffic, I saw 4.6 liters/100 km or almost 52 mpg, in Eco mode with the AC on; mindblowing figures for a car this large and comfy. I didn't hog any lanes or hold up traffic either. The engine only ran to top up the battery and on occasional sprints. There's no driveline lash or a grumbling engine to deal with when driving slowly, just the quiet bliss of electric motors pushing the car along.
Old 08-30-14, 02:18 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious what a lead foot like me could expect. I accelerate quickly on surface and drive at 78 MPH on the highway. To me it seems like everyone is asleep at the wheel.
Old 08-30-14, 02:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
I'm curious what a lead foot like me could expect. I accelerate quickly on surface and drive at 78 MPH on the highway. To me it seems like everyone is asleep at the wheel.
I don't know what mileage you can expect, but at least you realize you are a lead foot so you shouldn't be surprised/disappointed with the mpg's. A lot of drivers forget about this.
Old 08-30-14, 03:15 PM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't know what mileage you can expect, but at least you realize you are a lead foot so you shouldn't be surprised/disappointed with the mpg's. A lot of drivers forget about this.
If I get 35MPG I'd be thrilled but have no idea what to expect.

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage