Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 05:50 PM
2Relax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried an experiment with my 300h and getting about 44.3 mpg, when I have a full tank of fuel I get about 38 to 39 mpg, now I keep half a tank of fuel and get about 44.3 mpg. I drive 70% on the freeway and 30% city give or take a percentage point. Also when I am in the city I take off on electric first. Never thought I would get 44 mpg and I coast if the light are red.
Old 03-28-13, 04:40 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

38.6 actual. I think, if I'd slowed down, I think I could break 40mpg.

-probably not going to happen. like the sport mode too much!
Old 03-28-13, 04:45 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mrBillFL, yeah I know what you mean. Good thing I driving the 300h, and not the 350. Not sure how good or bad the FE would be with my lead foot. I sure wish there was a way to keep in Sport mode ....
Old 03-29-13, 04:30 AM
ws46060
Driver School Candidate

I had been averaging 34-35 mpg mixed driving in my first 4500 miles in my 300h. I was disappointed. However, I just finished a 300 mile all highway trip and averaged 40 mpg. It was through the hills of southern KY and eastern TN. Wind and traffic were not really a factor. I stuck to within 2 mph of the speed limit. I had 3 adults and luggage for vacation on board.

So I am happy with finally getting advertised mpg under real world conditions. But I cannot fully explain why I was significantly lower than epa rating until now. Perhaps Winter blend fuel? Less efficient battery performance in Midwestern winter cold?
Old 03-29-13, 05:52 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slackbus
After driving to and from Toronto to Boston (562mi each way) on freeways, I averaged 37mpg. I was driving 75mph the whole way, mostly on cruise control.
That seems like its pretty much hitting the target to me, considering I was going faster than any testing would have been.
Seems pretty obvious that any problems that I have in my daily commute hitting the high numbers is pretty much terrain and driving habits.
Good luck driving around Boston, it will be hard to expect good mileage there, between car cutting you off or stopping quickly, pot holes and following the signs that will send you in the wrong direction. I live in Boston and with all of the construction the roads change weekly. NAV my not be that helpful......Enjoy, good luck....
Old 03-29-13, 06:05 AM
Slackbus
Driver

Originally Posted by Ronman15
Good luck driving around Boston, it will be hard to expect good mileage there, between car cutting you off or stopping quickly, pot holes and following the signs that will send you in the wrong direction. I live in Boston and with all of the construction the roads change weekly. NAV my not be that helpful......Enjoy, good luck....
Hah! Thanks, the nav on the lexus actually did a pretty good job navigating Boston, even through the tunnels. I didn't do much driving though, parked it at the hotel (Park Plaza --- AHH! too many 1-way roads!) and let it rest while I was there. You're right about getting cut off though... I've driven through NYC and seen less crazy drivers!
Old 03-31-13, 06:34 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

The same thing in San Francisco. Between all the pot holes, construction, road closures/detours, and traffic lanes eliminated for bike lanes (think 4 lanes down to 2 for 2 bike lanes, used by a couple of bikers in an hour) resulting traffic jams, the Nav is pretty useless.

Also, parking meters popping up all over the place even in some residential areas. They then started enforcing metered parking on Sundays. What's next, enforced meter parking until 10pm? Wait, they have that too, in the guise of 'managed parking' to free up spaces. So whats not to love about driving in the City? From the "City that knows how to" (gouge the driving public that have extra cash).

Last edited by Arty101; 03-31-13 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 03:00 AM
jklodner
Driver School Candidate

Default 29.9MPG very disappointed

I bought my Pearl, fully loaded 2013 300h last October here in Dallas. Have not been able to get over 30MPG no matter how I drive, mix town and highway. Had it in twice to check it. Recently to a CT hybrid as a loaner. 42MPG in the short time I had it driving no different than I normally drive. Have to take it in for more indepth testing
Old 04-01-13, 07:58 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arty101
The same thing in San Francisco. Between all the pot holes, construction, road closures/detours, and traffic lanes eliminated for bike lanes (think 4 lanes down to 2 for 2 bike lanes, used by a couple of bikers in an hour) resulting traffic jams, the Nav is pretty useless.

Also, parking meters popping up all over the place even in some residential areas. They then started enforcing metered parking on Sundays. What's next, enforced meter parking until 10pm? Wait, they have that too, in the guise of 'managed parking' to free up spaces. So whats not to love about driving in the City? From the "City that knows how to" (gouge the driving public that have extra cash).
Right on Arty101....reading your post is like looking in a mirror, same thing here.... I just see it so often, it al blends together. Like S.F. I don't see it getting any better anytime soon, if ever..the taxman, parking enforcement, etc.... In MA we have what they call a excise tax it's based on the book value of your vehicle ($25 per $1000) to maintain the roads and bridges.... To bad the road are all potholes and the bridges are falling apart.......AAAHH!
Old 04-01-13, 10:03 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jklodner
I bought my Pearl, fully loaded 2013 300h last October here in Dallas. Have not been able to get over 30MPG no matter how I drive, mix town and highway. Had it in twice to check it. Recently to a CT hybrid as a loaner. 42MPG in the short time I had it driving no different than I normally drive. Have to take it in for more indepth testing
Went I first got my 300h I was only getting 27mpg, (Feb/13) after I read some post about driving a hybrid differently I'm now getting 38mpg, the snow has just melted and it is starting to warmup so I see 40+mpg in my future. Look up driving a hybrid for some tips, it may help it helped for me
Old 04-08-13, 05:51 AM
Ronman15
Driver School Candidate

Default MPG looking good

Once I read about how to drive a hybrid my I went from 27 - 44MPG WOW
Attached Thumbnails ES300h Gas mileage-image.jpg  
Old 04-08-13, 06:46 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

37.2 actual (almost all sport mode w/ ev button pressed)

I know I can get better mpg, but am 'just' driving the car (mostly) now... and I'm happy with the performance / mpg ratio
Old 04-10-13, 11:54 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Roman, nice FE milage. After 5k, I'm only averaging around 39 mpg. I'm not as careful about my driving habits as I should.
Old 04-12-13, 04:09 PM
Tuanle
Driver School Candidate

Arty,
Are you in a hilly area of SF? That could explain it.
Old 04-12-13, 11:51 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by Tuanle
Arty,
Are you in a hilly area of SF? That could explain it.
Not sure if you have ever been to SF but 80% of the city is up and down - pretty hard not to be in a hilly area.

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage