Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.
Old 01-07-15, 12:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

ES300h Gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 10:19 AM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my Camry hybrid 2009 model ( rated for 33/32) I can get 38-40 in the summer and 28 in the winter (really cold times, temps in the teens and below)

To get the higher mpg, it's all about NOT accelerating and trying to let it coast when you're at the targeted speed
Old 10-19-12, 02:49 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

" I ...drive slow" " I drive the car like i normally drive" These are not techniques that necessarily promote high fuel efficiency with a hybrid.

Last edited by ElliotB; 10-19-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-19-12, 05:38 PM
chrisk008
Driver School Candidate

I brought one home yesterday to show my wife. Had 1 mile on it when I left the dealership. We put around 30 miles on a virgin car and ended up at 40.2 mpg. Pretty impressive for a brand new car. looking to make an offer tomorrow.
Old 10-21-12, 03:46 PM
bobraynard
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Filled it up today after 501 miles. Took 13 gallons for 38.5 mpg. About 20% city driving.
Old 10-21-12, 08:58 PM
osp42
Driver School Candidate

I filled up on my 3rd tank, and averaged 42.5 miles. Total driving miles for this round was 629.8. I filled up 14.8 gallons. Mostly highway miles and 25% city driving.
Old 10-22-12, 02:42 PM
MY100thcar
Driver

As of today I have 409 miles on my 300h and avg'd. 40.5mpg. ( appox. 80% highway )
Attached Thumbnails ES300h Gas mileage-dscf5628-640x526-.jpg  
Old 10-23-12, 12:20 PM
asrose
Driver School Candidate

Default MPG onboard computer vs pump

There always seems to be a significant difference with the displayed mpg - most recently 42.0 vs 37.9. based upon distance/gallons with over 540 miles

. I know that "stuffing" a more full tank can affect it but consistently the Fuelly app taking mileage and gallons in consideration is much lower than the displayed mpg. I always fill it to the same extent.

Has anyone experienced the same?
Old 10-23-12, 01:04 PM
KennyLexus
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MY100thcar
As of today I have 409 miles on my 300h and avg'd. 40.5mpg. ( appox. 80% highway )
Wow, fantastic! I expect similar results as it appears you and I have similar day-to-day driving habits.
Old 10-24-12, 09:55 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

How accurate is the car computer's reported MPG vs manually calculated true MPG?
Old 10-24-12, 05:49 PM
gfr1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neoxagon
How accurate is the car computer's reported MPG vs manually calculated true MPG?
That's the big issue. I've only seen the one entry, a few entries above, at 4.1 mpg optimistic error! That's pretty bad, if the original fill and the refill were accomplished accurately. My experience is that Japanese cars are pretty optimistic with their fuel computers. My S-model Mercedes, I traded in on my ES300h, was very accurate. It measured fuel quantity in tenths and I could accurately pay for fuel in advance, by the fuel gauge. I keep a spreadsheet on refuels, to three decimal places. I went 6,000 miles last year before it varied by one-tenth mpg from refuel data. I traded it for the hybrid this year at 6,000 miles and it was still correct to the tenth. I doubt if that will be the case here. It appears that it will be a long time, with the good mileage and limited local driving that I'm doing, before I will be able to tell. I do know that it took me 175 miles before the gauge got down to the "Full" indices, though. That wasn't very encouraging. If I divided my miles by the average mpg reading, it used about 4.5 gallons before the gauge dropped to the Full mark. I filled it to the filler neck when I left the dealer, at six total miles, so I have an annual reference point. Of course, now, it is going down at a much faster rate, to compensate. I doubt if the filler neck would hold more than one-half gallon, above a full tank. Has anyone comer up with an accurate computer error, yet?
Old 10-28-12, 09:55 AM
ws46060
Driver School Candidate

Default Anecdotal observation on highway mileage

I just completed a 120 mile trip on an interstate highway. I watched the mileage graphics on the information display pretty closely as I drove. I drove most of the way at 70 mph. I noticed that I was getting 35-36 mpg. As I neared a city and slowed down to 60 mph, the mpg went up to a shade over 40 mpg.

My path was pretty much the same direction throughout and reasonably flat for the entire trip, so I don't think wind or hills could account for the difference. Our load was three adults and their suitcases for a weekend trip.

Has anyone else noticed a significant difference in mpg between 60 and 70 mph?
Old 10-28-12, 10:48 AM
CurryPot
Driver

Originally Posted by ws46060
I just completed a 120 mile trip on an interstate highway. I watched the mileage graphics on the information display pretty closely as I drove. I drove most of the way at 70 mph. I noticed that I was getting 35-36 mpg. As I neared a city and slowed down to 60 mph, the mpg went up to a shade over 40 mpg.

My path was pretty much the same direction throughout and reasonably flat for the entire trip, so I don't think wind or hills could account for the difference. Our load was three adults and their suitcases for a weekend trip.

Has anyone else noticed a significant difference in mpg between 60 and 70 mph?
The EPA has stated that 10 mph above 60 MPH will result in a reduction of 10% for MPG. Your observation is in line withe the EPA and my experiences with hybrids over the years. Drop it to 48 MPH and your MPG will blow your mind away.

We're now with crappy winter gas and colder temperatures so MPG will be down.

Last edited by CurryPot; 10-28-12 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-08-12, 06:03 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

This thread has been quiet, still waiting for my 300h UL to arrive, no info from dealer yet. Please keep posting your mileage results.
Old 11-08-12, 06:39 PM
Slackbus
Driver

Just finishing my first tank... getting about 7.5l/100km (31mpg) by the computer ... and struggling to achieve that. My commute is about 50/50 city and highway. I'm at 8.5l/100km until I get into my subdivision and go mostly to EV.
Its around freezing (0C/32F) here now, how much is that impacting mileage?
When I watch the real time meter when I am driiving 100km/h (60 to 65mph), its at 28-30mpg. Seems high for regular highway cruising. Im trying to figure out the best way to drive a hybrid... reading websites is a great way to get conflicting answers and opinions (e.g. slow accel vs. quickly getting to speed and using battery to maintain).
To those getting great mpg's, what are you doing to get them?
Old 11-08-12, 07:23 PM
BikrMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slackbus
Just finishing my first tank... getting about 7.5l/100km (31mpg) by the computer ... and struggling to achieve that. My commute is about 50/50 city and highway. I'm at 8.5l/100km until I get into my subdivision and go mostly to EV.
Its around freezing (0C/32F) here now, how much is that impacting mileage?
When I watch the real time meter when I am driiving 100km/h (60 to 65mph), its at 28-30mpg. Seems high for regular highway cruising. Im trying to figure out the best way to drive a hybrid... reading websites is a great way to get conflicting answers and opinions (e.g. slow accel vs. quickly getting to speed and using battery to maintain).
To those getting great mpg's, what are you doing to get them?
I'm waiting for my ES300h to arrive in a few weeks. I have been driving a 2005 Prius for a few years and can tell you that you can get a lot of tips on increasing your mileage by going to the Prius Chat site. Low temps will hurt mileage of course because some energy is consumed in keeping the cabin warm during start ups. Did you get a block heater for winter temps ? Based on the +ve experiences with a block heater that came with my Prius I was able to improve my mileage when it gets really cold. I've ordered one with my new ES300h. The mileage for my Prius has dropped off by around 5-10% lately.

Don't forget that a lot of members reporting great mileage are in the southern (warmer) states so they've got the advantage as things get colder.

I can tell you that those Prius hypermilers can carry mileage improvement tactics to extreme ! Nevertheless there are many good tips we can learn from them !

Where in Ontario are you ?

Quick Reply: ES300h Gas mileage