ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What the 2013 ES looks like next to a 2013 GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 03:38 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the average guy, these two cars look the same; and while the GS might indeed look a little better on the inside, it's not enough IMHO to justify the price premium for the GS.

So unless someone has more of an appetite for power and slightly better handling, I think that the ES is a better deal. It may not be a "driver's car", but it is comfortable and yet fun to drive,

And yes, Lexus is not unique in mocking twins ... as both BMW and Mercedes Benz have been doing exactly that for years.
Old 09-28-12, 05:15 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

I feel they are both great looking cars but I like the new ES style a bit more than the GS.
Old 09-28-12, 05:37 AM
jollick
Racer

Thanks for the side by side photos. They really show the similarities and differences.
Old 09-28-12, 06:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
To me,the GS looks better both in and out.
I haven't completely warmed up to either one yet but prefer the GS right now.
Old 09-28-12, 06:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I haven't completely warmed up to either one yet but prefer the GS right now.
I feel about the same.
I think the spindle grill looks better on the GS without the hood line and the GS being a sport/luxury type car.
Looks a bit bloated on the ES.
Old 09-28-12, 12:07 PM
UncleBen
Rookie

I didn't like that front grill either; in fact I hated it ... Until I saw it at the dealership. Others have also echoed the same thing, that the ES looks a lot better in person than in photos.
Old 09-30-12, 03:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleBen
To the average guy, these two cars look the same; and while the GS might indeed look a little better on the inside, it's not enough IMHO to justify the price premium for the GS.

So unless someone has more of an appetite for power and slightly better handling, I think that the ES is a better deal. It may not be a "driver's car", but it is comfortable and yet fun to drive,

And yes, Lexus is not unique in mocking twins ... as both BMW and Mercedes Benz have been doing exactly that for years.
With the GS, you are paying a premium for a longer wheelbase, shorter front overhang, engine mounted behind the front axle for near 50:50 weight distribution, both indirect and direct injection, RWD, aluminium alloy multi-link suspension, and an aluminium bonnet.

Meanwhile, the ES has a more standard short wheelbase, long front overhang, with the engine mounted in front of the front axle for some 66:34 nose heavy weight distribution, indirect injection only, FWD, high tensile steel single lower link MacPherson strut suspension only, and a hi tensile steel bonnet.

Have you ever lifted the Al bonnet of a GS? You get what you pay for, though there is the law of diminishing returns, where you only get that much extra quality, for a whole lot more to pay.

Lexus actually makes more profit out of the ES, than the GS...

Last edited by peteharvey; 09-30-12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 04:11 AM
UncleBen
Rookie

Of course Lexus will make more money with the ES, as it will outsell the GS three to one.

As for the weight of of certain parts, this is precisely what the engineers had to do in order to achieve the 50:50 weight distribution. I don't think it will be news to any one in this thread that front-wheel drives are front heavy, and rightfully so.

Moreover, the light weight of a particular does not make it a cheap part.

Both the GS and ES are wonderful cars, but with a different mission. But I don't think the ES is made more cheaply than the GS. I think the general discussion here was more about stylistic likes and dislikes.
Old 10-01-12, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think arguing the benefits of the GS vs the ES is a worthless exercise, they are very different vehicles that are targeted to very different purposes. The ES is a boulevard cruiser, while the GS is a true sport sedan.
Old 10-01-12, 07:09 AM
jollick
Racer

SW10ES Sfeve, you are absolutely correct.

Last edited by jollick; 10-02-12 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 03:29 AM
steig
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they both look good.
Old 10-02-12, 08:55 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To OP, Thanks for the great picture. The shots are useful as they can compare the difference in details of exterior design of these two great cars.

I like both design and it seems to me that Lexus like to relate how far the spindle gets extended to the ground to the sportiness of the model. CT, GS have shorter spindle whereas, RX, LS have longer ones. The exception is the facelifted model of LX. Maybe it is too impractical to have too much spindle exposed for rougher road condition the model is marketed/intended for.

Despite resemblance in the exterior of ES andGS, the difference in the grade of materials and the level of cost cutting is interesting.

For ES, take a look at the upper door frame, the plastic moulding is all all gone. It is now painted in black which reminds me of cost cutting and my previous IS300. I believe GS still retains better use of better material in those areas.

However, the scratch-prone plastic used around the door/window switchplates in GS is all gone in ES. IMHO, the ES has better execution in the balance of grade of material and cost-cutting.

In both cars, some cost-cutting which is not obvious for most people is the fabric used in the trunk. In the past, the upper side of the trunk is covered with fabric for sound-proofing, perception of quality material, etc. Now they are all gone. Just put your hand on the upper side of the trunk and you will find they are partially covered or no cover.
Old 10-02-12, 12:58 PM
TerdBath
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im another one who thinks they look really similar. And I'd have a hard time telling the difference in traffic.
Old 10-02-12, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
However, the scratch-prone plastic used around the door/window switchplates in GS is all gone in ES. IMHO, the ES has better execution in the balance of grade of material and cost-cutting.
Have you been in the new GS and ES? I think the cheap plastic around the door and window switchplates of the ES is one of the new car's most significant flaws compared to the previous car, there is no scratch prone plastic in these areas in the GS. The window switches are done in higher end piano black trim, while the door handles are surrounded in stitched nu-luxe and padded vinyl. They are surrounded by hard plastic in the ES.

From an overall material standpoint I think the GS is a big upgrade from the ES inside.
Old 10-02-12, 09:37 PM
mikedege
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW10ES
From an overall material standpoint I think the GS is a big upgrade from the ES inside.
I would hope so, the GS is aprox 15K more $$$.

-Mike

Quick Reply: What the 2013 ES looks like next to a 2013 GS