ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

1SICKREVIEW to come on the new ES. If you have any specific questions please post

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 11:20 AM
LexFather

Post 1SICKREVIEW to come on the new ES. If you have any specific questions please post

Hey everyone,

My great dealer Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett is having their ES launch event tomorrow 6-8pm and I will be attending of course. I will be going early to drive the new ES around the area as well as the old ES and current GS to give impressions. No there will be no track time Thanks to Frank Mullin for helping make this happen for me.

Most times you get to read the review after the fact. If there is something in particular you want me to investigate and give an opinion on please post here. I will be checking this thread throughout the day tomorrow.

Don't expect tons of pics unless you want a pic of something specifically. My pics will never be better than the ones we have from Lexus and the press My thoughts will be what I wish most reviewers would judge the car on, its TARGET and its PURPOSE. I will push the car at times but I know 99.9% of the time it won't be pushed so that is not my focus. My focus is on how serene and luxurious the ES is as the new technology. I plan to investigate base and NAV models and V-6 and hybrid models.

I am 6"5, 250 to get a general idea on my comfort level in the car. When I have the write-up done it will be posted on the homepage and I will link//copy and paste it here and edit the thread title.

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-14-12, 11:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike,check out the noise factor in the hybrid.I've read a couple of reviews about ....

".There was more wind noise than I would have preferred, and the hallmarks of the hybrid driving experience—the occasional droning sound from under the hood and grabby regenerative brakes—have not been entirely eliminated,"

http://www.autobytel.com/lexus/es-35...ewed-111991/4/

", the car hustles well enough, but it lacks the passing confidence deserving of a luxury badge, and the droning, here-it-comes CVT sounds anything but refined"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,5245864.story

"
Old 08-14-12, 12:09 PM
LexFather

^^ Got it!!!!
Old 08-14-12, 02:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Mike, to build on what Joe already said, here is a quote from the Motor Trend review talking about ride quality. The writer said the ES350 he drove had run flats like the hybrid, which was hard to understand why, He made it sound like the ride wasn't good. Your comments will be appreciated:

"You might forgive such a humdrum personality if the ES were a virtuoso of cushiness. The very first Lexus LS 400, after all, blitzed the luxury-sedan market not with dazzling track stats but by enveloping its occupants in a cloud of comfort and refinement unprecedented for its price class. Not so the new ES. Amazingly, neither version rides particularly well. The ES 300h has a semblance of a defense: for maximum mpg -- its raison d'etre -- it sits on hard, low-rolling-resistance Michelins. Curiously, though, our ES 350 test car wore the same 17-inch rubber bricks. An 18-inch all-season tire is optional on the ES 350 and might soften the ride a tad, but it's hard to imagine anyone describing this sedan as "plush." Tire noise intruding on the cockpit is an issue, too. That's the really unpardonable sin here: no DNA from the LFA, but not enough from the LS 460 either."
Old 08-14-12, 02:16 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe the lack of engine cover pieces on the '13 causes a bit more engine sound into the cabin.I don't believe there's any hood insulation.
Old 08-14-12, 04:09 PM
LexusFrank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus ES Ride -I've driven it

Myself and about 50 other Lexus employees drove the ES and ES Hybrid for our Lexus training last week over 30 miles each way on different roads including highway and no one noticed any road noise issues or ride issues . You do have to realie Lexus is going a bit more performance oriented with this car this time around like the GS350 and the forthcoming LS460. We were actually rather impressed with the ride and how it was as quiet as the previous one (to an extent) and especially impressed with the Hybrid and how much it felt like a V6 and not the 4cylinder that it is. I'd reserve judgement for when you get to drive it. Not sure why those cars that were driven in the test had run flats.
Old 08-14-12, 07:31 PM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike,
Can you check if ES is capable of MAP bluetooth. With MAP (Message Access Profile), you will be able see an icon on the screen if you receive text message. The message will be read to you when you click on the icon.

I believe GS is capable of it.
Old 08-15-12, 04:03 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusFrank
Myself and about 50 other Lexus employees drove the ES and ES Hybrid for our Lexus training last week over 30 miles each way on different roads including highway and no one noticed any road noise issues or ride issues . You do have to realie Lexus is going a bit more performance oriented with this car this time around like the GS350 and the forthcoming LS460. We were actually rather impressed with the ride and how it was as quiet as the previous one (to an extent) and especially impressed with the Hybrid and how much it felt like a V6 and not the 4cylinder that it is. I'd reserve judgement for when you get to drive it. Not sure why those cars that were driven in the test had run flats.
I was there.

Great event. Got to throw the ES300h around a autocross course and compare it to a CTS and C350.

I agree with Frank, the ES300h is extremely quiet. Even driving over road hazards on the track, you could barely feel it in the cabin.

Very hard to tell the difference in the 350 and 300h.
Old 08-15-12, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Okay got it....thanks!
Old 08-15-12, 10:57 AM
El Toro
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let the rest of us tall guys know exactly how big that rear seat is! Hopefully you can fit in the rear somewhat comfortably with the front seats all the way back. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-15-12, 11:51 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I saw one at the dealership the other day, it was really classy looking, especially in black
Old 08-15-12, 12:51 PM
RandyinAZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by El Toro
Let the rest of us tall guys know exactly how big that rear seat is! Hopefully you can fit in the rear somewhat comfortably with the front seats all the way back. Thanks in advance!
I'm 6'1'' and the car I test drove (300h) was pretty comfortable in the back for me (although that's probably the last time I'll ride in the back). It doesn't necessarily look big from the exterior of the car, but it sure feels it when you're in. Course I don't know how tall you are...

My 300h arrived at the dealer last night and I get to pick her up today! I can't wait to share info/pics!

Also curious to see what Mike has to say.
Old 08-15-12, 02:22 PM
LexFather

Hi everyone. Sadly had a late start so 90% of the time spent was with the ES 350. I will review the hybrid in detail hopefully this weekend.

Overall it is superb, feels like a mid size luxury car not entry level. Room front and rear is immense! Normal/sport makes a very noticeable difference
Old 08-15-12, 02:55 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
I was there.

Great event. Got to throw the ES300h around a autocross course and compare it to a CTS and C350.

I agree with Frank, the ES300h is extremely quiet. Even driving over road hazards on the track, you could barely feel it in the cabin.

Very hard to tell the difference in the 350 and 300h.
Went to the event here is LA and drove the same set up. I think ES ride was better than either MB or Caddy. The E 350 definitely has more throttle punch and steering was very nimble. But the E is small compare to the Lexus. I'm a big guy so looking for room and comfort comparable to my current Avalon. The redesign ES fits like a glove now, and it not as butt ugly as the Avalon.
My wife has started to warm up to it once she had a chance to ride in it. She was not going to allow a trade down in size and pay more money to boot. I've gotten a firm quote for 4% off listed MSRP of $426xx. The car has premium package, navigation, blind spot monitoring and intuitive parking. Does this seem like a good deal to anyone or should I wait a few months?
Old 08-15-12, 06:23 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by longslim
. I've gotten a firm quote for 4% off listed MSRP of $426xx. The car has premium package, navigation, blind spot monitoring and intuitive parking. Does this seem like a good deal to anyone or should I wait a few months?
Well, I don't know how it compares to other dealers in CA, but compared to at least one dealer here in MA, 4% off msrp is good. I was offered 0 off plus a lousy number on my trade in. I will be waiting. He actually called back tonight and asked if I was ready to buy. I said, "Are you ready to give me a better price? He said, "let me talk to my manager and I'll call you back". Haven't heard from him.

Early adopters PAY especially on the east coast.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW to come on the new ES. If you have any specific questions please post