ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Saw/sat in my first 2013!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 11:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I wont add anything opinion based because I have yet to sit in the ES, but here are the specs of the S class and ES leg room.

S class: 41.9 front, 42.3 rear

ES: 41.9 front, 40 rear.

That is pretty darn close and I would even consider the ES to be in S class territory. Really is impressive as the S class is 14 inches longer

the avalon has 41.3/40.9 so I think you can say that are the same. I don't know why people feel the avalon is larger
I was going to check and see if there was any difference in trunk space between the Avalon and ES because extra rear set room would have to come from somewhere - But since they are virtually the same it's a moot point.

While shopping the LaCrosse a couple of years ago I was impressed with the rear seat leg room, but it came at the expense of trunk space.
Old 08-05-12, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I think its the stying of the Avalon making it look bigger. My aunt and uncle have had a bunch of Avalons, so I'm not unfamiliar with the Avalon. The Avalon is much more Buick'esque with the ES being more stylish with more interesting angles, etc to the interior. Spacewise, as your dimensions show...they're the same.

As for why they didn't put controls, etc back there, I think it comes down to the LS. If they did all of that...the car would reach into the LS' territory even more.
Old 08-05-12, 11:40 AM
hdbrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wont add anything opinion based because I have yet to sit in the ES, but here are the specs of the S class and ES leg room.

S class: 41.9 front, 42.3 rear

ES: 41.9 front, 40 rear.

That is pretty darn close and I would even consider the ES to be in S class territory. Really is impressive as the S class is 14 inches longer

the avalon has 41.3/40.9 so I think you can say that are the same. I don't know why people feel the avalon is larger

Thanks for writing on this. Made me think...the numbers don't lie, what is it? Here are the Avalon specs vs new ES:

rear headroom (inches): 37.5 vs 36.9

rear hip room (inches): 56.2 vs 53.8

rear leg room (inches): 40.9 vs 40

rear shoulder room (inches): 58.2 vs 55

I think it's more than just the leg room that give you that spacious feeling...how you can sit more comfortably in a wider car, or how deep the seats are or how they recline. When I put the arm rest down (which is bulky) on the new ES, it was definitely tight on my hips. Again, best in class...but didn't feel HUGE to me...but again, glad it's at least this big!

Now, check out the difference in the S Class...well just for fun:

rear headroom (inches): 39 vs 36.9

rear hip room (inches): 59 vs 53.8

rear leg room (inches): 42.3 vs 40

rear shoulder room (inches): 59 vs 55
Old 08-05-12, 08:18 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I think its the stying of the Avalon making it look bigger. My aunt and uncle have had a bunch of Avalons, so I'm not unfamiliar with the Avalon. The Avalon is much more Buick'esque with the ES being more stylish with more interesting angles, etc to the interior. Spacewise, as your dimensions show...they're the same.

As for why they didn't put controls, etc back there, I think it comes down to the LS. If they did all of that...the car would reach into the LS' territory even more.
I think the way the interior in configured in the Avalon is more cavernous then the ES. The spec are the same FOR 2013 and this was to me a huge selling point. But I've sat in both car and I swear it's not the same. For the life of me I can't figure out why. But I can sit in the Avalon and my knees don't come near the front seat which it did in the ES . But the ES is a nice car when fully loaded but it does come at a large price difference. I just don't understand why Toyota even makes Avalon. I bet all of us old people would get ES. It is hard believe me to buy the cheaper and larger Avalon fully loaded for 10k less when you want the ES.
Old 08-06-12, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They sell the Avalon to compete with a different buyer than the ES...
Old 08-06-12, 09:19 AM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

They sell the Avalon to compete with a different buyer than the ES...
I understand that, but us old geezer want to ride with a little style on Sunday after church.
Old 08-06-12, 09:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by longslim
I understand that, but us old geezer want to ride with a little style on Sunday after church.
LOL, you've got both the ES and Avalon buyers figured out.
Old 08-07-12, 03:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I just got back from an open house at a local dealer. WOW the ES is very very nice now. The previous ones were just too Camryish but this one looks like its own vehicle. Build quality of the interior is very good and feels really upscale. Ton of space inside.
Old 08-08-12, 12:29 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great feedback, thanks, yeah this ES is built on a Avalon platform, so that rear space is really coming into play, can't wait for my turn to check one out. Ditto, let us know how it drives!!
Old 08-08-12, 12:46 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a whim tonight on our way home from a dinner out we swung by the local Lexus dealer I stopped by yesterday to see if they had a 2013. Sure enough, they did!

Sitting right out front was a cerulean blue and parchment 2013. No nav, nu luxe seating. Sticker was $41,500. Car did have park assist, BSM, etc.

Overall, the car looks great. I echo what others have said about it looking better in person than in the pictures. I will still say I miss the chrome trim along the sides and door handles. Overal though, the car looks great. Very elegant and sleek. Definitely think this is the best implementation of the spindle grille.

My one quality niggle with the exterior s with the exhaust tips. Why they didn't go that little bit extra and do integrated tips is beyond me, Beyond that, the tips are very low quality, thin metal fake tips that are noticeably clamped on to the steel end of the exhaust pipes, very low rent looking. Compared to the tips on my 2010 which are solid, welded on, smooth on the inside.

Overall though, it's a solid improvement.

Inside the differences are even more distinct. I've always griped about the quality differences between the Gen 4 ES and the Gen 5 ES. The small improvements that came in 2010 helped that somewhat, but the 2013 is a huge improvement. All the materials feel much nicer, the leather-like dash looks great, the gauges are a significant upgrade, all the displays are significantly improved, the rear space difference is quite distinct, and even the nu-luxe feels pretty darn good. Like others have said, the way the door panels interface with the dash is a little different, the door panels are quite flat, compared to the molded type panels we're used to. Interior ambient lighting is very cool.

Overall I'm very impressed with the car, can't wait to drive one. I'm sure I'll get the chance some time next week...
So you didn't think the exterior was plain looking?. Lexus integrated the exhaust tips on the Avalon, I can't see why they chose not to do it on the ES, which is supposed to be more upscale, it will probably come with the next refresh....
Old 08-09-12, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I can see how you could say it was a little plain looking outside.

I'm going to drive the hybrid this afternoon, looking forward to that...
Old 08-12-12, 07:16 AM
Mike218
Rookie

Smile

1st post here. Been a Acura guy since '92 but have been looking at Lexus for a while now. Have driven the 12 twice now.

Last week we went down to the Annapolis dealer and talked to them, Saw a new 13 ES and fell in love with the looks. It was black on black, luxury package the same price everyone has been quoting here

Made up our mind then the new ES will be for us.

I am willing to wait it out untill next year sometime maybe even get a 14

I am sold, and can't wait to change brands. This forum has been a great help

BTW, I'm in that almost 60yo group and want something I can sit in and feel comfort but still afford it
Old 08-12-12, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

BTW, I'm in that almost 60yo group and want something I can sit in and feel comfort but still afford it
welcome! Well Mike, what can I say except that you are the target demographic for the ES!
Old 08-12-12, 03:13 PM
Mike218
Rookie

welcome! Well Mike, what can I say except that you are the target demographic for the ES!
Thank you for the welcome. Yep. I'm in that group and glad to be in it. It still has
More power then my TSX.
Will continue to follow this forum and hope to report on mine when I get it
Old 08-12-12, 03:36 PM
sterldog
Driver School Candidate

Test drove 2013 es350 Friday back seat is huge interior flawless drove a black with ultra luxury package nice!!! Hated it at first fell in love after test drive.

Quick Reply: Saw/sat in my first 2013!