ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Our First 2013 ES!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 10:41 PM
longslim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hughh
Well, I went and drove the brand new Cadillac XTS. I now have to make choice between the 2013 ES 350 and the Cadillac. The Cadillac is probably a bit more expensive, right now. The fully loaded Luxury model had an MSRP of $53,000. I expect by February I will be able to find the XTS with generous discounts.

Overall, I found the interior much better than the ES. The short drive I took did not allow me to fully evaluate the car. But i found the car extremely comfortable, and the CUE is, in one short word, AMAZING! Welcome to the 21st century.

Here is a short review by Dallas/Ft Worth car guru Ed Wallace on his Friday TV spot:

Ed Wallace - Cadillac XTS
Cadillac has a new 2013 version of its XTS luxury sedan -- so what's going to happen to the old-school Caddy lovers? Ed has an idea.
Last Modified: Aug 03, 2012 11:23 AM CDT

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/video?clipId...autostart=true

This is a complete evaluation of the CUE and the car itself:

2013 Cadillac XTS Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqETRrhiMs
That is a nice car with tons of advance features wow that kicks Lexus butt. : I think I'll test drive one just to experience the CUE. driving:
Old 08-06-12, 01:34 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hughh
Well, I went and drove the brand new Cadillac XTS. I now have to make choice between the 2013 ES 350 and the Cadillac. The Cadillac is probably a bit more expensive, right now. The fully loaded Luxury model had an MSRP of $53,000. I expect by February I will be able to find the XTS with generous discounts.

Overall, I found the interior much better than the ES. The short drive I took did not allow me to fully evaluate the car. But i found the car extremely comfortable, and the CUE is, in one short word, AMAZING! Welcome to the 21st century.

Here is a short review by Dallas/Ft Worth car guru Ed Wallace on his Friday TV spot:

Ed Wallace - Cadillac XTS
Cadillac has a new 2013 version of its XTS luxury sedan -- so what's going to happen to the old-school Caddy lovers? Ed has an idea.
Last Modified: Aug 03, 2012 11:23 AM CDT

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/video?clipId...autostart=true

This is a complete evaluation of the CUE and the car itself:

2013 Cadillac XTS Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqETRrhiMs
I have to say the XTS is great looking car, I saw one at the auto show in ATL and I agree that overall the car looks better than the ES, but it is not paired with the ES, more so the LS. That's where the comparison should be. I must say that I thought hard about getting one and will probably test drive one. How was the magnetic ride in terms of feeling the road.
Old 08-06-12, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I have to say the XTS is great looking car, I saw one at the auto show in ATL and I agree that overall the car looks better than the ES, but it is not paired with the ES, more so the LS. That's where the comparison should be. I must say that I thought hard about getting one and will probably test drive one. How was the magnetic ride in terms of feeling the road.
I sat in an XTS a few weeks ago at a Caddy dealership and was impressed especially with the interior and technology. The one I was in had a sticker price over $60k and wasn't fully optioned so I think it will compete in a different segment than the ES. I was wondering how the typical Caddy buyer will respond to allof the high tech on the car.
Old 08-06-12, 06:48 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I sat in an XTS a few weeks ago at a Caddy dealership and was impressed especially with the interior and technology. The one I was in had a sticker price over $60k and wasn't fully optioned so I think it will compete in a different segment than the ES. I was wondering how the typical Caddy buyer will respond to allof the high tech on the car.
The numbers are getting crazier.
Over $60K and not fully optioned for the ATS.
$50K+ for an ES.
Old 08-06-12, 02:48 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by longslim
That is a nice car with tons of advance features wow that kicks Lexus butt. : I think I'll test drive one just to experience the CUE. driving:
I think you can d/l an app if you have an iPad, and experience the CUE in the comfort of your home.

BTW - All XTS come with the latest generation iPad. It's the wave of the future. No more bulky manuals that can't even fit in the glove box. I suppose the iPad will be loaded with videos teaching how to use CUE.

As tablets come down in size and price, I can see other manufacturers doing the same thing. I can even see other products such as DSLR cameras, AV Receivers, TV, washers and driers utilizing something similar. No more printed matter, saving a ton of money. Also, it would cut down on telephone calls to support asking stupid questions on how to do this or that. I know for a fact Sony TV stopped including printed instructions on all HD TV since 2010. You can look at the manual at their website. If you require a hard copy, it's up to you to d/l and print it. They save money!

Network of support services and tablet included with each new XTS
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadi.../0509_cue.html

Last edited by hughh; 08-06-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 03:00 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The numbers are getting crazier.
Over $60K and not fully optioned for the ATS.
$50K+ for an ES.
The $60K is for the top of the Platinum Line. Just like the Ultra Luxury in the Lexus. Optional is the all-wheel drive, the engine block heater and the compact spare tire.

The Premium line is equivalent to the Luxury line in the Lexus. It comes pretty much complete with all the safety goodies. I didn't spend much time, but it lacks moonroof. In my case, that's great not having to pay for it. We don't need/use ours in HOT Texas. In the Premium line, it comes with a double moonroof and the Bose sound system is even better.

The one I drove, I believe had an MSRP of $53,000 some. One thing about GM cars, as the year goes by, the discounts keep getting better.
Old 08-06-12, 03:06 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexPaul
The XTS is only about 10 inches longer than the new ES350, going into a bigger trunk. About the same width, taller and about the same knee room in the back. I like the Lexus styling better, but I love all the active safety items in the XTS. At my age, I find some of those might help me keep my drivers license longer and help me avoid fender benders. I also like the XTS interior MUCH better than the ES. But, that's just me.
Old 08-06-12, 03:11 PM
hughh
Pole Position

@LexBob - Visiting the XTS website, I see a lot of traditional Cadillac owners asking for another, brand new land barge. One of them just got an XTS and just couldn't stand it, he had to stripe it, just like old Cadillacs used to come (or maybe they still come).

My limited time behind the wheel didn't give me a chance to drive different roads to notice how the magnetic ride would react. I intend to take a much longer test drive if and when we are close to deciding to get the XTS over the ES.

Now my wife wants to test drive the new BMW 328i. She saw one and really liked it. Better looking than both the ES and the XTS. She hated all that chrome around the windows on the XTS...women...aaarrrgh!

All three cars optioned the way I would, cost about the same. The ES and XTS will ride better and are quieter than any 3 series I know. However, the Bimmer is more fun to drive and has the money advantage when it comes to any type of service/repair...no money. We had a 2004 330i that we picked-up in Munich under their wonderful European Delivery program and we never spent a cent for oil changes, brakes, wiper blades, etc. Still, I think for us, the Bimmer might be a tad too small. Both of us are retired now and we are down to only one car.
http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2012-b...-35148832.html

It will be fun testing all three cars, once the climate cools off. Too damn HOT to even go outside to check the mail right now!

Last edited by hughh; 08-06-12 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-08-12, 07:04 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The XTS is generally targeted to an older set of buyer, 50's and 60's, even 70’s. A lot of them may be overwhelmed by all the techie stuff. 60k is getting up there. I'm not sure if would pay that much for a caddy, with my trade if could probably knock off about 25k, still though, in that price range I would have to look hard at the GS. I test drove one, solid, smooth ride. The car felt like it was hugging the ground, but still smooth. The 12.3" HUD is really nice. I can get an almost fully loaded GS for around 52-56k. Right now I'm just waiting to look at and test drive the ES, my first choice is to remain in the Lexus column, but I'm keeping my options open and I'm looking forward to driving the XTS...:
Old 08-09-12, 10:42 AM
hughh
Pole Position

LexPaul.

Yes, my first choice is the Lexus as well. If I can get a good offer from my dear dealer, that's the way we will go. But, like you, we're keeping our options open.

Please keep us informed. Always interesting to see what other do.
Old 08-09-12, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yeah I don't feel the XTS really competes with the ES...10 inches longer is a HUGE difference! Even the LS is not 10" longer than the ES...the LS460L is only 11" longer than the ES. 10" longer and $10-$20k more makes it in a different segment.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-09-12 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 10:12 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$50K+ for an ES.
The ES starts at 38k, and the Ultra Luxury is 46210....
Old 08-14-12, 10:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
The ES starts at 38k, and the Ultra Luxury is 46210....
The ES350 I would buy.

Invoice
MSRP
True Market Value®

Base Price
$33,815
$36,100
$36,100

Ultra Luxury Package
$2,699
$2,935
$2,935

Navigation w/Mark Levinson Premium Audio Package
$3,452
$3,745
$3,745

Intuitive Parking Assist
$460
$500
$500

Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS) w/Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
$1,380
$1,500
$1,500

Lane Departure Alert
$889
$965
$965

18" Wheels w/Liquid Graphite Finish
$811
$880
$880

Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Cross Traffic Alert
$460
$500
$500

Destination Fee
$895
$895
$895

Total Price
$44,861
$48,020

Add another $2K-$3K for hybrid with same options and you're over $50K.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-14-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 10:50 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

I was just at a ES ride and drive,and the fully loaded ultras didn't hit 50 and the 300h doesn't come with pano.

Pretty sure they can't hit 50k.

Your post reads like they sell for 50, when in fact the sell for 40 to 45. You might be able to order one for that comes to 50, but I doubt it.

The two 300h that I have are equipped with almost everything and have a 46k price tag.
Old 08-14-12, 10:56 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
I was just at a ES ride and drive,and the fully loaded ultras didn't hit 50 and the 300h doesn't come with pano.

Pretty sure they can't hit 50k.

Your post reads like they sell for 50, when in fact the sell for 40 to 45. You might be able to order one for that comes to 50 but I doubt it.

The two 300h that I have almost everything and have a 46k price tag.
Without the pano is a $500 less cost for the UL pkg on a hybrid.
My work up w/options on Edmunds was just over $48K.

There's two guys here who say a hybrid is over $50K loaded up and I believe one test drove one.

Check this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...00h-today.html

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-14-12 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Our First 2013 ES!!