ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

what kind of oil in 2013 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 09:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by mrBillFL
also in that thread talks about oil filters, and a special wrench needed.... anyone have a source for the toyota filter?

-looks like its worth getting the factory filter and oil...

I like this wrench:

Amazon Amazon

I had a cheaper wrench, but broke it on a friend's car, the filter was tightened by an over zealous dealer. I have bolted a socket bolted to the above wrench which makes it easier to use.

Lou
Old 12-31-12, 11:20 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Lexus approved oil

Does anyone Know a source for the 'approved' oil? (cheap-er than the local dealer ?)

I know some engines are very picky on what works.... big problems for wrong oil. (and ATF).

*I normally drop the oil / filters at 1k-2k just to get any metal out from break in...

and what about the filters? anything special here?

assume a toyota hybrid (2.5ltr ) would fit?

thanks for bearing with the new guy!

-my old engine builder said his 'SAS Racing' stickers were worth 10hp! LOL -skipping the KN...
I traded a 2006 Avalon for my new Lexus 350. The engine in the Avalon and the Lexus
are the same; The oil requirement for the Avalon was 5w30 conventional oil - not synthetic.
I plan to change the oil in my 2013 back to conventional 5w30 after the first free change by the dealer. There is no valid reason to use synthetic over conventional oil. Add to that the increased cost of synthetics and there you are. Use any premium brand conventional oil and your car will run just as good as if you use synthetic oil. No good reason to pay for "Lexus" oil. Don't take my word for this - Google the question and you'll see...
Old 01-01-13, 06:08 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I traded a 2006 Avalon for my new Lexus 350. The engine in the Avalon and the Lexus
are the same; The oil requirement for the Avalon was 5w30 conventional oil - not synthetic.
I plan to change the oil in my 2013 back to conventional 5w30 after the first free change by the dealer. There is no valid reason to use synthetic over conventional oil. Add to that the increased cost of synthetics and there you are. Use any premium brand conventional oil and your car will run just as good as if you use synthetic oil. No good reason to pay for "Lexus" oil. Don't take my word for this - Google the question and you'll see...
IDK about this. in the toyota thread area51 seemed to know something.

if you do 5k changes, probably fine. but at 10k changes, synthetic would be better.... IMHO.
(better in the cold/and heat extremes too)

IF (emphasis added ) you keep your cars over 100k.

also, an old trick was to add some marvel mystery oil (and get the oil hot), before the change to help flush any gunk...

-YMMV.

in my google search I found this to reset the oil change light.... too early to tell if it will work on the 300h.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6050089_rese...xus-is250.html
Old 01-01-13, 06:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My '12 ES had the same engine and 5w30 was the requirement.I do believe the only reason for 0w20 is to squeeze out a few tenths more MPG for the GOV CAFE number.5w30 is fine to go with but a 5w30 synthetic would be better,IMO.Especially in your cold climate of PA.
Better additive package and longer change interval.Just about double the change interval.A few dollars more than dino oil with that change interval..
Old 01-01-13, 06:51 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

fyi.... ebay is good source for factory filters and oil.

but frankly after watching some youtube videos on the canister filter... not sure I want to do this...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04152-YZZA1-...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 01-01-13, 11:09 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Ultra discount Toyota dealers like these two beat ebay prices on Toyota oil and filters:
29% off MSRP price at http://www.toyotapartszone.com/
28% off at http://www.partswebsite.com/1sttoyotaparts/
Old 01-01-13, 11:28 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

With all the oil comsumption https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ion-issue.html and other wierd problems happening with Toyota's fragile engines nowadays I'd personally do an oil change every 3000 miles using Toyota OW-20 full synthetic to hold down wear to a minimum and to keep the engine as internally clean as possible (unless I was leasing).
Old 01-02-13, 06:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
With all the oil comsumption https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ion-issue.html and other wierd problems happening with Toyota's fragile engines nowadays I'd personally do an oil change every 3000 miles using Toyota OW-20 full synthetic to hold down wear to a minimum and to keep the engine as internally clean as possible (unless I was leasing).
Oil changes every 3000 miles with synthetic is excessive and a waste of money IMO. it can't hurt but not necessary.

The thread pertained to the LS460 which is a V8 and not the V6 or 4 cyl (hybrid) used in the ES.

I've never read or heard anything that there is a oil comsumption problem with the V8, V6 or 4 cly used in various Lexus and Toyota models. Info from JD Power or Consumer Reports doesn't show any issues with these engines.

Personally, if I was buying a car and felt I had to do oil changes every 3,000 miles (with synthetic) I'd get something else.
Old 01-02-13, 11:40 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

thank you gemigniani!

I think 5-6k changes will be about right. (synthetic) .

resetting the service light might be the next hurdle....
Old 01-02-13, 07:12 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thank you gemigniani!

I think 5-6k changes will be about right. (synthetic) .

resetting the service light might be the next hurdle....
I think I read in the owner's manual that you can reset the service light in the Vehicle Settings. I could be wrong after going over a gizzion pages.
Old 01-02-13, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Actually the 2013 Avalon uses the same 0W20 Synthetic oil the ES uses and the same recommended 10k drain interval

See the Avalon maintenance manual:

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...Avalon_WMG.pdf

Replace the oil filter and drain and refill the engine oil at specified intervals. For recommended oil grade and viscosity, refer to the Owner’s Manual.
NOTE: Your vehicle is certified with Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS BEING USED. If 0W20 is not available, 5W20 mineral oil may be used. However, it must be replaced at A 5,000 miles or
6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil
Going to 5W20 is okay, but with 5k drain intervals. Synthetic at 10k drain intervals is going to be cheaper than conventional at 5k drain intervals. Going Dino 5W30 at 10k drain intervals will void the warranty if you have a sludging or gelling issue.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-02-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-01-17, 12:12 AM
Handybud
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents. I have been using Synthetic Oil (10W40) in my ES350-2013 Lexus that i currently drive in the Middle East (temperatures reaching 110 degrees Fahrenheit). I change my oil and filter every 10,000 km, even if the oil is still in a good condition. The car is running with no problems.
Is this the best oil to use ? or should i go for the other type of Synthetic Oils (5W30, 5W40). I was able to find an online manual for ES350-2013 car and it recommended 0W20. May be this is more suitable for the north American Climate.
Kindly assist.
Old 06-01-17, 05:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

IMHO 10W40 is way too heavy an oil to use in this car. I might be okay using 5W30 in your climate, certainly 0W30 but I would not use 10W40.
Old 06-05-17, 02:27 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Handybud
Gents. I have been using Synthetic Oil (10W40) in my ES350-2013 Lexus that i currently drive in the Middle East (temperatures reaching 110 degrees Fahrenheit). I change my oil and filter every 10,000 km, even if the oil is still in a good condition. The car is running with no problems.
Is this the best oil to use ? or should i go for the other type of Synthetic Oils (5W30, 5W40). I was able to find an online manual for ES350-2013 car and it recommended 0W20. May be this is more suitable for the north American Climate.
Kindly assist.
I strongly believe Automakers must have done series of test to ascertain engine performance under varying different temperatures (low to high), and based on that a recommendation to use 0W20 for 2013 ES350 wouldn't be joke... I will advise you stick with the recommended 0W20 IMHO
Old 06-05-17, 03:49 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

I must you a different search engine than you. Every test that I have seen/read states synthetic is better. The question however is it that much better considering the cost. Mobil 1 at Walmart is $23 for a five quart jug with a recommended change every 10,000 miles. Their least expensive brand of conventional oil which is their brand Supertech is $11.44. If this is changed every 5,000 miles the price is the same. If synthetic is not better why do car manufacturers recommend 5,000 miles for conventional and 10,000 miles for synthetic. I always revert back to two MIT graduates who happen to have had their own syndicated radio show Car Talk for decades who know a little about autos. From their site, "In my experience, and in legitimate testing, synthetic oil consistently performs better than dinosaur-bone oil. It lubricates better, makes engines last longer, improves mileage and takes longer to break down under the heat of engine use. A number of supposedly informed people say you can go nearly twice as long between oil changes with synthetic. If you did that, the cost would be the same over the life of the car".

Quick Reply: what kind of oil in 2013 ES?