ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Old 01-03-12, 11:55 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/12/...sse-laughable/
Rumormill: Next-Gen Lexus ES Will Make Buick LaCrosse “Laughable”
Something interesting happened during a recent conversation we had with a well-connected auto industry executive. As our light-hearted conversation turned to General Motors, the exec said that Lexus’ upcoming ES luxury sedan will make the Buick LaCrosse “laughable” as a luxury vehicle. For the uninitiated, this is significant, as the ES is the LaCrosse’s most direct rival.

When pressed for details, we were told the following:

-The next-gen ES will be wider and longer than the current model, which is nearly seven inches shorter than the LaCrosse. In that regard, the Lexus will be catching up to the Buick. But…

-The next-gen ES will be the quietest car Lexus has ever made — something Buick’s Quiet Tuning won’t be able to “hold a candle to”. And then there was this…

-The next-gen ES will offer Hybrid Synergy Drive full-hybrid technology and achieve fuel economy in the high 40s on the highway and even better in the city. “The eAssist stuff won’t even come close”.

Just in case you’re wondering, the exec in question rolled up in a Buick LaCrosse. By this time, you may be wondering whether this person is an employee of The General or Toyota/Lexus. This is not the case.
Feel free to speculate.
Old 01-03-12, 12:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

"fuel economy in the high 40s on the highway and even better in the city"? I highly doubt that, considering that even the Camry Hybrid LE gets barely over 40mpg and that the ES hybrid is bound to do worse with at least 100-200lbs of additional heft from all the extra amenities and sound deadening not found on the Camry Hybrid.

Other than that, I have no doubt the new ES will once again out-Buick Buick at its own game.

EDIT: The only possible way I can think of for the ES Hybrid to get better mileage than the Camry Hybrid is to use Li-ion batteries instead to increase energy capacity within the same packaging size. I certainly hope that to be the case, seeing how the Prius Alpha and Prius Plug-in both received the Li-ion batteries already.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-03-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-03-12, 12:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure about those fuel economy numbers, we'll see.

I totally believe it though. The LFA, the CT, the 4GS, they're all just a small taste of what future Lexus products are coming. Same thing on the Toyota side, as the FR-S for example is just a small taste of the sports car products that will be coming from Toyota.

I can't really say much, but from what I've seen the next-gen ES exterior is gorgeous. Haven't seen the interior, but I've been told it's a big improvement.

All the next-gen Lexus products are going to be something special. I'm eager to see the rest of them.

It's not just Buick that needs to worry; Hyundai needs to be very worried too. Just on exterior alone, the next-gen ES will make the Hyundai Genesis sedan pretty forgettable. The 4GS is also on a totally different level than the Genesis sedan.
Old 01-03-12, 12:24 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor;6920811
[B
Rumormill: Next-Gen Lexus ES Will Make Buick LaCrosse “Laughable”[/B]

I feel the LaCrosse is laughable now.
Odd shape and just plain ugly with a gaudy interior.
I have owned a ES and will probably be in the market for a new gen ES after it's out a year to get the bugs out.If I like the design..
Old 01-03-12, 12:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

New Camry is out, a new ES should follow right after, make sense.

A hybrid ES, FINALLY!

Quietest car Lexus has ever made?! Quietest ES ever made, sure I believe that. But hard to imagine a ES can be quieter then a LS600hL or LS430. I believe it when I hear it. Is like saying the next gen Boxster will be the fastest car Porsche ever made.............ummm, no.
Old 01-03-12, 12:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
Quietest car Lexus has ever made?! Quietest ES ever made, sure I believe that. But hard to imagine a ES can be quieter then a LS600hL or LS430. I believe it when I hear it.
The LS is actually noticeably noisier on slightly rough pavements than its German competitors. I hope by being the quietest Lexus ever made he means that Lexus has finally turned their focus of the "quiet tuning" to the floor in the new ES.
Old 01-03-12, 01:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair, the LS is how old? Sounds like the ES will be great though. I can't wait till the new IS lands as well.
Old 01-03-12, 01:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
To be fair, the LS is how old? Sounds like the ES will be great though. I can't wait till the new IS lands as well.
As old as the ES. Both were 07' models, while GS and IS were 06' models
Old 01-03-12, 01:28 PM
JessePS

I would be surprised if Lexus actually made a great looking ES. For me most of the generations have been quite bland.
Old 01-03-12, 01:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I would be surprised if Lexus actually made a great looking ES. For me most of the generations have been quite bland.
Isn't all Lexus products bland, including the IS-F. And the LFA is bland for a $400k car, I mean look at the Aventador
Old 01-03-12, 01:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I feel the LaCrosse is laughable now.
Odd shape and just plain ugly with a gaudy interior.
I have owned a ES and will probably be in the market for a new gen ES after it's out a year to get the bugs out.If I like the design..
Consumer Reports has taken the LaCrosse off of their Recommended list due to declining reliability. Both the FWD and AWD versions have fallen into the Worse Than Average to Much Worse Than Average range.
Old 01-03-12, 01:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I think the next generation of Lexus vehicles won't be bland.
That's what has been written in publications the last few years and Toyota execs know that.
However,only having 306 HP in a new GS is not a good sign for new Gen engine power in the ES and IS..
Old 01-03-12, 01:43 PM
JessePS

Isn't all Lexus products bland, including the IS-F. And the LFA is bland for a $400k car, I mean look at the Aventador
The IS and CT cost less and look way nicer than the ES
Old 01-03-12, 01:48 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
As old as the ES. Both were 07' models, while GS and IS were 06' models
Since both the ES and LS were an 07 release, and the new ES is going to be released soon, is the LS going to be next, or is it going to be a 2013 release (with a 2014 model)?
Old 01-03-12, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Your stating something subjective (and argumentative), so no. Your own opinion yes, but to the next guys view no

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)