ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 11:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's funny that in the early 2000s, touch screens were all the rage in cars but our personal electronics still had buttons and switches galore.

Fast forward to 2010-2012 and cars now have buttons and joysticks, and touch screens are old news...but in personal electronics, if it's not a touch screen, it's dead.

Funny, but ironic. To me, nothing is as easy as a touch screen but I do like Remote Touch better than iDrive, COMAND or the Audi interface.
Old 05-31-12, 11:43 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think it's funny that in the early 2000s, touch screens were all the rage in cars but our personal electronics still had buttons and switches galore.

Fast forward to 2010-2012 and cars now have buttons and joysticks, and touch screens are old news...but in personal electronics, if it's not a touch screen, it's dead.

Funny, but ironic. To me, nothing is as easy as a touch screen but I do like Remote Touch better than iDrive, COMAND or the Audi interface.
Wait a minute. I almost forgot Lexus does already have something much better in store. The way Remote Touch should've been implemented!
Old 05-31-12, 12:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

isnt that a lot worse from usability standpoint?
Old 05-31-12, 12:20 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
isnt that a lot worse from usability standpoint?
Well if it were up to me, I would design the controls as follows:
1. Touching the touch screen with a finger will show a mouse cursor on the remote screen in the corresponding position, and after the user drags the finger to move the remote cursor to the desired location (think of this movement as a correction to the initial touch position if it turns out the cursor position is off from where the user intends to click on), release the finger from the touch screen to actually "click" on the location, be it a button or a menu selection.
2. Scroll through a long list or move around in a map by dragging TWO fingers on the screen. Flick quickly to scroll quickly.
3. Pinch with two fingers to zoom in or out of a map or view.

That's it! Controls #2 and #3 are obviously copied from the iPhone and MacBook but I think #1 will be a lot more intuitive than using a joystick in the current Remote Touch. And by using a touch screen it still allows for quick text input when the car is parked (remember the correction movement is optional).

Maybe I should patent my idea #1 to make a quick buck or two?

Last edited by ydooby; 05-31-12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-31-12, 12:27 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I thought the GS doesnt have a power trunk closer...but this new ES does? And how can the GS not have rear cross traffic alert?
Old 05-31-12, 12:36 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post cars.com

The 2013 Lexus ES trades some substance for gimmicks with its all-new design, but it should draw interest for adventurous styling and a 1st-ever ES hybrid version.

Characterizing an ES has always been like trying to distinguish the flavors in oatmeal — a porcelain bowl of it from room service at the Hyatt, but oatmeal nonetheless. Lexus' best-selling sedan boasts incremental handling improvements and refined ride quality in its 6th-generation redesign, but the interior is a mixed bag, and so is my verdict.

Available as a V-6 ES 350 or first-ever hybrid ES 300h, the ES grew longer and taller for 2013. It now hails from the Toyota Avalon's longer platform rather than the Camry, with which it traditionally shared underpinnings. At a media preview, I drove both ES drivetrains alongside the prior generation.

The Sharpest-Looking ES Yet

The front-wheel-drive ES adopts Lexus' "spindle" grille — more of a fat hourglass — up front, drawing similarities to the recently reinvented rear-drive GS sedan. It's actually a touch longer than that pricier sibling, and its creased lines stand out like no ES before. There is no ground-hugging F-Sport Package, as Lexus offers on a few other cars, but the ES needs none: It looks dynamic enough. 17-inch alloy wheels are standard, with 18s optional on the ES 350.

How It Moves

The ES 350's 3.5-liter V-6 moves out with a muscular exhaust note if standing on the gas. A Lexus spokesperson told me it's a few ticks slower than the last ES — a tradeoff for better gas mileage — but crank the Lexus' Drive Mode Select to Sport mode, as opposed to Eco or Normal, and sharper accelerator progression renders an even quicker climb. Alas, the 6-speed automatic transmission still suffers befuddling inconsistencies: Sometimes it kicks down a gear or 2 for immediate passing power; other times it hunts aimlessly for the right gear.

Sport mode reduces power-steering assist for palpably better steering feedback. The prior ES had a tendency for the wheel to snap suddenly back to center. Its successor steers more naturally, with quicker reflexes. A redesigned suspension with uprated shocks and additional bracing also has been added, but does little to quell the car's modest body roll.

Ride quality — a trademark of the previous car — remains sound. All ES models share the same suspension tuning. An adaptive suspension, which Lexus offered in 2 prior generations of the ES, is currently unavailable.

The ES remains front-wheel drive only with no all-wheel-drive option unlike competition from Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Audi, Cadillac and Mercedes. The Lexus GS does offer the option.

The hybrid ES 300h pairs a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder with 2 motor-generators and a continuously variable automatic transmission for 200 combined horsepower versus the ES 350's 268 hp. At full bore, the car hustles well enough, but it lacks the passing confidence deserving of a luxury badge, and the droning, here-it-comes CVT sounds anything but refined.

Like any full hybrid, the 300h can run on electric power at low speeds for short distances; an EV mode, activated via Drive Mode Select, raises the threshold where the car transitions to engine power. Drive Mode Select blocks EV mode if the car's nickel-metal-hydride battery power is too low or if you press the gas for too much power. Stand on the pedal, even in EV mode, and the ES 300h springs to full power in moments.

Thanks to lower curb weight and better aerodynamics, EPA mileage in the ES 350 is up to 21/31 mpg city/highway, an overall improvement of about 2 mpg over the last ES. That's near the head of the luxury competition, edging out the Acura TL, Audi A4 and Infiniti G37 by 1 mpg or more. The BMW 328i and 4-cylinder Lincoln MKZ eke out another 1 to 2 mpg, however. 1 plus: The ES runs fine on regular gasoline; several competitors recommend or require premium.

No rating for the ES 300h has been given at this time, but Lexus says it expects the combined rating to be 39 mpg. That would make it the most efficient luxury sedan on the market, though the EPA has yet to give estimates for the redesigned Lincoln MKZ Hybrid.

Roomy Cabin

The front seats have stiffer side bolsters, which became apparent alongside the prior ES. Where the prior car's front seats allowed too much sliding, these hold you in — without constraining on long-haul drives. Although it moved to the larger Avalon's platform, the ES' cabin room falls closer to that of the redesigned Camry: Total volume is 100.1 cubic feet, up 5.2 cubic feet from the last ES, which falls in line with a moonroof-equipped Camry. The biggest change comes in the backseat, which gains 4.1 inches of legroom and 0.7-inch headroom. It's roomy back there, with decent knee room and no center floor hump. Manual sunshades in the doors and a power rear shade are optional, but the rear shade requires hollering to the driver, as the deployment controls are up front only. Heated rear seats and a rear climate zone — both available in the Avalon — are unavailable.

Trunk volume in the ES 350 is 15.2 cubic feet, up 0.5 cubic feet versus the last ES. That's between the improved BMW 3 Series' 17 cubic feet and the Acura TL's surprisingly small 13.1 cubic feet. Typical of a hybrid, the ES 300h places its battery behind the rear seats, which lowers trunk volume to 12.1 cubic feet. Like the prior generation, the ES 350 gets a center pass-through but no folding backseat; the ES 300h has no opening at all. A power-closing trunk is optional.

Stop With the Gimmicks

Luxury touches include piano-black or genuine wood trim, with real bamboo in the ES 300h, and optional ambient lighting below the door and dashboard inlays. Lexus' NuLuxe faux-leather upholstery, offered in cars like the CT 200h, is standard. Last year's ES had standard leather. The NuLuxe feels synthetic, but it's softer than the often-stiff leatherette, aka vinyl, competitors serve up.

Heated and ventilated seats are optional, but the ventilation borders on useless. That's ironic since the Avalon has cooled seats that turned your chaps to ice. Similarly, the optional heated wood-and-leather steering wheel heats just the portions at 3 and 9 o'clock. Touch anywhere else and the wheel stays cold. I'm calling foul: If Chrysler can heat the wood portion of the 300's wheel, Lexus should, too.

The gimmicks continue with an optional panoramic moonroof. It's more like 2 small roofs separated by a massive divider, with clunky manual sunshades that short drivers won't like yanking. Others — the Hyundai Azera and Cadillac CTS — have near-continuous panoramic panels that let more light, with power sunshades to boot.

The cabin trades last year's chrome inlays for silver plastic, and the faux-leather dashboard trim is little more than a stitched veneer, which Lexus calls a stitched slush mold. Other entry-luxury cars, including Lexus' own CT 200h, have more-convincing dashboard stitching, and Chrysler's sedan can come wrapped in genuine leather. Similar stitching to the ES adds a classy vibe to the plebeian Camry, but in the pricier Lexus, it rings cheap.

The standard stereo includes USB/iPod compatibility, a 6-CD changer — this is the brand that kept a tape deck long into the iTunes era — and Bluetooth phone operation. Options include a 7-inch display that works through a center-console **** or an 8-inch navigation system that works through Lexus' 2nd-generation Remote Touch Interface. Both systems add HD radio and Bluetooth audio streaming, which ought to be standard — and the six-CD changer dumped.

Remote Touch plays out like a computer mouse, with haptic feedback to fast-track your pointer to the on-screen options, which include a suite of smartphone-tethered applications such as Yelp, Pandora and Facebook Places via Lexus' Enform system. While the ES lacks the stunning expanse of the GS' 12.3-inch system, it's intuitive enough to work when the car is stopped. Still, I find well-sorted **** systems — like Mercedes' Comand — easier to manage on the road. Mark Levinson audio is optional in navigation-equipped cars.

Safety & Features

The ES has not been crash-tested, but Toyota engineers said they expect Top Safety Pick status from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and a harder-to-get 5 stars out of 5 overall from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Standard features include head-protecting side airbags and brake-pedal override, plus the required antilock brakes and electronic stability system. New safety options include a blind spot warning system, rear cross-traffic alert and automatic high-beam headlights. Lane departure warning — but not mitigation — is also optional. Per forthcoming federal requirements, the ES 300h has an audible warning to alert nearby pedestrians when the car is in EV mode below 12 mph.

Standard features on the ES 350 include keyless access with push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, a moonroof, power front seats, a USB/iPod-comparable CD stereo, Bluetooth phone operation and faux leather upholstery. Real leather, heated and ventilated seats, front and rear parking sensors, a navigation system and a panoramic moonroof are among the options.

Lexus ES in the Market

As of this writing, Toyota's luxury division has yet to price the ES, which hits dealerships later this year. But the prior-generation sedan ranged from the mid-$30,000s to the mid-$40,000s as options ballooned. No competing luxury sedan has the ES beat across the board, but others chip away at its various weaknesses.

The ES is no tarted-up Toyota; the quality gains versus a loaded Camry are apparent, and its strengths are clear. This is the sharpest-looking ES in at least 3 generations, and the hybrid's 39-mpg EPA combined rating should all but guarantee more interest. But too many surprise-and-delight features fall flat. Lexus needs to take a page from Audi: Ax the ventilated seats and faux-leather dashboards and invest in consistent quality instead.

Vehicle Overview

For 2013, the Lexus ES sedan receives its 1st redesign since 2007, and for the 1st time in the model's history, the regular car, currently called the ES 350, is joined by a hybrid counterpart, the ES 300h. The ES 350 competes with the Acura TL, Hyundai Azera and Lincoln MKZ. The ES 300h goes up against the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid as well as hybrid and diesel versions of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class.

Exterior

The ES has grown an inch in length, and the wheelbase has increased by 1.8 inches. The new styling incorporates Lexus' new signature hourglass-shaped grille, which the company describes as a "spindle."

Though similar in appearance overall, the hybrid adds a subtle trunklid spoiler and replaces the ES 350's dual exhausts with a clean rear bumper. Seventeen-inch alloy wheels are standard, and 18-inchers are optional.

Interior

The longer wheelbase has contributed to a 0.6-inch legroom increase for the backseat. Upgraded materials replace an interior that had fallen behind the times. Imitation leather upholstery is standard, and the real article is optional. Trim choices include piano black, bird's-eye maple and bamboo.

Lexus has resisted the move toward touch-sensitive panels, sticking instead with traditional buttons supplemented by the company's Remote Touch Interface, now in its 2nd generation, which previous model years didn't include at all. It comprises a multifunction sliding pad controller and a dashboard LCD screen that incorporates entertainment, communication, optional navigation and other functions.

Options include a voice-activated navigation system, a backup camera and a premium stereo. A power rear-window shade, manual side-window shades and a 1-touch trunk closer are also offered, as is ambient lighting.

Under the Hood

The ES 350 is powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 engine that drives the front wheels through a 6-speed automatic transmission. Like the Toyota Camry Hybrid with which it shares a platform, the ES 300h employs a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine paired with electric motors and a high-voltage battery pack for an estimated 40 mpg in combined city/highway driving.

Both ES models provide different driving modes to maximize efficiency or sportiness to suit the driver's mood. The 300h includes an EV mode that allows electric-only driving for short distances at low speeds.

Safety

Standard safety features include 10 airbags, including knee airbags and seat-mounted side-impact torso airbags for the front and outboard rear occupants. Antilock brakes and an electronic stability system are also included, as is Lexus Safety Connect with a year's free subscription.

Safety options include a blind spot warning system, lane departure warning and precollision warning.

Old 05-31-12, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I thought the GS doesnt have a power trunk closer...but this new ES does? And how can the GS not have rear cross traffic alert?
upcoming facelift? the 4gs has trunk closer, but the option isn't available here in the US
Old 05-31-12, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for sharing that article GS69
Old 05-31-12, 03:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The cars.com write-up is quite detailed. I'm looking forward to checking out the car myself.
Old 05-31-12, 06:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The cars.com write-up is quite detailed. I'm looking forward to checking out the car myself.
doesnt seem that he liked it, not sure what he expected though... whiny hybrid, small trunk, bad interior with cheap hand stiched fake leather, poor features and not enough standard ones. Makes you want to doublecheck what you remember of old ES, since i think he mistook LS thinking it is old ES. Audi is more consistent, MB has nicer interface, BMW has better consumption, Chrysler has fully heated steering wheel, Avalon offers rear HVAC, Hyundai has full panoramic glass, Acura has AWD.

It kind of reads like he wants LS600h. Comparing 2006 ES350 and 2013, and figuring 2013 lost something is a little bit out of touch with reality :-). To me, IMHO, 2013 looks several steps above old one, which i would never purchase while i would seriously consider this one...
Old 05-31-12, 06:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
doesnt seem that he liked it, not sure what he expected though... whiny hybrid, small trunk, bad interior with cheap hand stiched fake leather, poor features and not enough standard ones. Makes you want to doublecheck what you remember of old ES, since i think he mistook LS thinking it is old ES. Audi is more consistent, MB has nicer interface, BMW has better consumption, Chrysler has fully heated steering wheel, Avalon offers rear HVAC, Hyundai has full panoramic glass, Acura has AWD.

It kind of reads like he wants LS600h. Comparing 2006 ES350 and 2013, and figuring 2013 lost something is a little bit out of touch with reality :-). To me, IMHO, 2013 looks several steps above old one, which i would never purchase while i would seriously consider this one...
Thats why I'm anxious to check one out myself. Not sure if I'd agree or disagree with this tester until then. I've owned two ES350's so am interested in the next gen.
Old 05-31-12, 06:48 PM
modernx
Rookie

Mega Photo Gallery:

/
Old 05-31-12, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

wow, a lot of reviews all at once

i think the car will do very well. i also think it's a great exterior design, esp. for fwd.
interior looks good, but evidence of cost controls is there.

the 'actual' wheel gap is kinda lame, but not surprised.
Old 05-31-12, 07:42 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While stylistically understated, the new ES is a beautiful machine, especially in motion.

Bodes well for the next IS.
Old 06-01-12, 02:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, a lot of reviews all at once

i think the car will do very well. i also think it's a great exterior design, esp. for fwd.
interior looks good, but evidence of cost controls is there.

the 'actual' wheel gap is kinda lame, but not surprised.
what do you think is evidence of cost cutting in the interior and vs what car?
Because I have IS with full spec, and this looks like a lot more quality interior. And I have been in 3 series, A4's a lot and this has a lot more quality inside as well.

Yes... it has a little bit less leather than GS... but GS is 10k more.

I am kind of amazed at interior actually - my pet peeve now is how come they can offer this for 36k Lexus, but 80k Toyota's have less quality interiors. But I guess they might be changing that as new Avalon looks to have a really nice interior... for Toyota.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)