ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 10:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont get why people dont like options... ok, so you bought ES because of that... a thousands of others DIDNT buy ES because it was to comfy and wallowy.

So does anyone get hurt if they actually offer the option?

As I said, Camry SE completely changed Camry audience and improved sales. Why wouldnt it work for ES? And would having an option F-Sport actually make you not buy regular comfy ES?
As I said initially, kudos to Lexus if they decide to offer an F Sport ES.

I just don't think there is much of a market for one, but it wouldn't cost them much to try. The risk would be low. Kind of like Buick offering an AWD LaCrosse GS. Interesting, but again I doubt if there is much of a market for one.
Old 04-16-12, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

I just don't think there is much of a market for one, but it wouldn't cost them much to try. The risk would be low. Kind of like Buick offering an AWD LaCrosse GS. Interesting, but again I doubt if there is much of a market for one.
I agree there is not likely much of a market.
Old 04-16-12, 11:54 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree there is not likely much of a market.
Well since the Lexus RX has more or less the same target market it wouldn't make "any" sense having an F Sport package, but Lexus did it. We might see one ES F Sport in the future (2-3 years) just like the CT.
Old 04-16-12, 12:14 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An ES F-Sport probably won't appeal to the ES's current target demographics, but it will quite likely attract a new group of customers who want upscale, practical, decent handling/sporty looking in a reasonably affordable package. I agree with spwolf that if the Camry SE can sell reasonably well, there's no reason an ES F-Sport can't sell.
Old 04-16-12, 12:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
An ES F-Sport probably won't appeal to the ES's current target demographics, but it will quite likely attract a new group of customers who want upscale, practical, decent handling/sporty looking in a reasonably affordable package. I agree with spwolf that if the Camry SE can sell reasonably well, there's no reason an ES F-Sport can't sell.
The Camry SE cost discounted is under $30K loaded with every option.The Camry SE has a lot of 20 somethings buying the car.Many that the parents bought.
A loaded ES F-Sport will be $42+K.How many 20 somethings will be paying that much for a car?Or the parents?
Old 04-16-12, 01:26 PM
xioix
Racer

That is what the IS is for
Old 04-16-12, 01:31 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xioix
That is what the IS is for
Except the practical part.
Old 04-16-12, 01:35 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Camry SE cost discounted is under $30K loaded with every option.The Camry SE has a lot of 20 somethings buying the car.Many that the parents bought.
A loaded ES F-Sport will be $42+K.How many 20 somethings will be paying that much for a car?Or the parents?
Of course the ES F-Sport won't be targeting exactly the same 20-something demographics as the Camry SE. Try those in their 30s who just started a family and are still young at heart (my guess).

Last edited by ydooby; 04-16-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 02:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When the current gen ES came out with improved (IMO) styling, improved powertrain and somewhat improved ride and handling, Lexus goal was to appeal to a wider (younger) demographic. That didn't really happen. I'm sure they'd like to do that with the next gen but those perceptions are really hard to change. If they stick with it it might be done in another one or two generations. Buick, Lincoln are in the same boat. When it comes to actually plunking down $40k+ for an ES I think the current demographic will be the ones to buy them.
Old 04-16-12, 02:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When the current gen ES came out with improved (IMO) styling, improved powertrain and somewhat improved ride and handling, Lexus goal was to appeal to a wider (younger) demographic. That didn't really happen. I'm sure they'd like to do that with the next gen but those perceptions are really hard to change. If they stick with it it might be done in another one or two generations. Buick, Lincoln are in the same boat. When it comes to actually plunking down $40k+ for an ES I think the current demographic will be the ones to buy them.
There is one demographic you didn't mention that Lexus will continue to absorb; and those are younger, "greener", environmentally conscious consumers that want more than a Prius or Camry Hybrid.

This relatively younger well-to-do crowd would have never thought of the ES. Now that it has a hybrid variant, this specific market will surely flock to it.
Old 04-16-12, 03:07 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Of course the ES F-Sport won't be targeting exactly the same 20-something demographics as the Camry SE. Try those in their 30s who just started a family and are still young at heart (my guess).

I don't think a ES F-Sport would sell.I don't think we'll see one.
Just my opinion.
Old 04-16-12, 05:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

why do people buy ES competition? is it because they want something more comfy or more sporty?
average buyer of camry is 45 not 20s anyway....

i personally would probably never buy ordinary ES.... Fsport? yes.
for some reason you are taking this as if we talk about ES-F... f sport would be appearance and slightly harder suspension package, not some M5 fighter
Old 04-16-12, 06:40 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
why do people buy ES competition? is it because they want something more comfy or more sporty?
average buyer of camry is 45 not 20s anyway....

i personally would probably never buy ordinary ES.... Fsport? yes.
for some reason you are taking this as if we talk about ES-F... f sport would be appearance and slightly harder suspension package, not some M5 fighter
They want something more comfy.
The ES doesn't have any competition when it comes to ride comfort.That's why it's a bread and butter vehilcle for Lexus.The LaCross doesn't ride as smooth.
The Camry average buyer may be 45 but the SE is much younger.
The Toyotanation Camry forum is chock full of kids with SE's.
You wouldn't buy a ordinary ES and not many wouldn't buy a ES F-Sport.I know I wouldn't and this is my second ES350..
A ES350 and ES 300 works.Leave the T-Sport option to the real sporty type vehicles.
Heck,I feel an F-Sport RX is off the wall too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-16-12 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 06:44 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

I don't think a ES F-Sport would sell.I don't think we'll see one.
Just my opinion.
If even the RX can have an F-Sport version, anything is possible (well, maybe not the truck-based GX and LX).

Last edited by ydooby; 04-16-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 06:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

If even the RX can have an F-Sport version, anything is possible.
That's true.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)