ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 07:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I agree the ESh will damage the GSh in terms of sales. The ES 350 already outsells the entire GS line which includes the GS 350, GS 460 and GS 450h.

Very soon we'll have the ES 350 and ES 300h.
they dont compete at all. GS350 and ES350 have (almost) same engines. ESh and GSh have nothing in common at all.

If one day they offer GS250h, then sure, they will compete. And that would be great.
We want options!
Old 02-05-12, 05:54 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they dont compete at all. GS350 and ES350 have (almost) same engines. ESh and GSh have nothing in common at all.

If one day they offer GS250h, then sure, they will compete. And that would be great.
We want options!
True the ES and GS aren't in the same category. The ES is entry level luxury. The GS is mid-level performance luxury. Price wise more people can afford the ES than the GS.

By Lexus expanding the ES line with a hybrid it gives more choices to the world. Just like the RX line.

Just the like the 3 series and 5 series. Yes, they're both performance luxury vehicles but obviously one is bigger than the other, etc. etc...
Old 02-05-12, 06:17 PM
LexFather

I wonder though what ES pricing will be. I am stunned to see the current ES starts right under 38k BASE. Even if Lexus keeps pricing the same, in two-three years we are looking at an ES that starts at 39k. This is a vehicle that used to start at 29k in 1997 or so and 23k in 1992 or so. So the ES will be a 40-50k vehicle!

Lexus has their work cut out of them with this pricing now and in the future.
Old 02-05-12, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I wonder though what ES pricing will be. I am stunned to see the current ES starts right under 38k BASE. Even if Lexus keeps pricing the same, in two-three years we are looking at an ES that starts at 39k. This is a vehicle that used to start at 29k in 1997 or so and 23k in 1992 or so. So the ES will be a 40-50k vehicle!

Lexus has their work cut out of them with this pricing now and in the future.
1SICKLEX: there is no way th next gen ES will start at under $38k. This is why I have been going on about Lexus moving production to North America.

If Lexus seriously ups the content, then we will see a price increase. Lexus can counter the increase by moving production to the US.
Old 02-05-12, 07:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ you dont know that. The new GS didnt raise a penny and I think Lexus wants to stay competitive in the marketplace. 40 is the magic number and I am almost positive they are crunching the numbers to keep it as far away from 40 as possible. However, it could be something like 39,xxx
Old 02-05-12, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ you dont know that. The new GS didnt raise a penny and I think Lexus wants to stay competitive in the marketplace. 40 is the magic number and I am almost positive they are crunching the numbers to keep it as far away from 40 as possible. However, it could be something like 39,xxx
Exactly
Old 02-05-12, 08:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Lexus did a number of things to keep the MSRP down. No more 4.6, no 8 speed, same chassis bit reworked a bit, no real new tech that has not been debuted on other Lexus models. The 2013 is essentially the same model only updated.
Old 02-05-12, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus did a number of things to keep the MSRP down. No more 4.6, no 8 speed, same chassis bit reworked a bit, no real new tech that has not been debuted on other Lexus models. The 2013 is essentially the same model only updated.
You either have no understanding of the new GS and clearly haven't read one iota about it to make such a bold and ridiculous commentary.

The new GS is far superior to the previous model in every statistical measure. The BASE price is the same, loaded up a 2013 GS 350 is more expensive than a 2011 GS 350.

The new GS debuted 8-11 world or class firsts. How the **** is that "no real new tech"? Drank too much at the SuperBowl party? The car has a worlds first 12" Screen. The GS 450h gets 31 MPG, best of all hybrids and on par with econo cars. The interior is considered best or among best in class. The GS F sport has handling numbers of a M3/IS F. LED headlights are standard on the GS 450h. The GS F-sport has two piece rotors to save weight, no one else in this class has that. The Atkinson cycle is a first in class. The seats have 16 or 18 way adjustments. The leather is semi-analine. You can get internet connectivity with the vehicle. Real Bamboo is offered with the hybrid. The optional ML system makes over 800 watts of power.

The chassis is entirely new, everything is new. The engine and tranny carried over and still are near or are tops in class in most statistical categories.

I strongly suggest maybe reading about the product before commenting on it and making baseless claims continuously.
Old 02-05-12, 08:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You either have no understanding of the new GS and clearly haven't read one iota about it to make such a bold and ridiculous commentary.

The new GS is far superior to the previous model in every statistical measure. The BASE price is the same, loaded up a 2013 GS 350 is more expensive than a 2011 GS 350.

The new GS debuted 8-11 world or class firsts. How the **** is that "no real new tech"? Drank too much at the SuperBowl party? The car has a worlds first 12" Screen. The GS 450h gets 31 MPG, best of all hybrids and on par with econo cars. The interior is considered best or among best in class. The GS F sport has handling numbers of a M3/IS F. LED headlights are standard on the GS 450h. The GS F-sport has two piece rotors to save weight, no one else in this class has that. The Atkinson cycle is a first in class. The seats have 16 or 18 way adjustments. The leather is semi-analine. You can get internet connectivity with the vehicle. Real Bamboo is offered with the hybrid. The optional ML system makes over 800 watts of power.

The chassis is entirely new, everything is new. The engine and tranny carried over and still are near or are tops in class in most statistical categories.

I strongly suggest maybe reading about the product before commenting on it and making baseless claims continuously.
I was not referring to the hybrid GS
Old 02-05-12, 08:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It looks a hell of a lot better that's for sure.
Old 02-05-12, 09:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone know what the MSRP of the 2007 ES was compared to the 2012?

How about the current gen RX? What did it jump by compared to the outgoing RX?
Old 02-05-12, 10:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new ES will stay under 40K base MSRP, that is for sure.

Also as has already been pointed out, comparing those spyshots of the new ES in camo to the current ES is inaccurate. The new ES in the pics has camo on for a reason; it is to FOOL people and throw them off the car's real styling, especially internet forum posters.

If you look at the pics closely, it's quite clear the new ES will be longer, a bit wider, and possibly a tiny bit taller. The window shape is different than the current ES, especially looking at the rear windows. You can tell there will be more rear space, specifically rear headroom. Also there is A LOT of styrofoam under the camo on the car's rear end. We have no idea about rear styling in this case, or even side styling as the camo is quite thick and padded.

Interior-wise it looks to share a lot of GS cues, and will be a HUGE improvement over the current interior.

Along with the new Avalon later in the year, I expect this to really blow away people's expectations in many ways. This new ES will be even more differentiated from the Camry, while also being differentiated from the new GS as well as the upcoming new Avalon. Toyota has to be very careful about having all the products differentiated, but I think once the ES and Avalon are revealed, people will see they did a good job.

Lol what?

You shouldn't be making statements about a car if you have no idea what you are talking about, because it just makes you look bad.
Old 02-06-12, 04:23 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no "a bit" rework that makes chassis lighter with safety concern( new crash test). GS did share platform with IS, and it will probably do it again. I just hope, if there is IS coupe, it should sit on a lighter chassis (FRS anyone?)
Old 02-06-12, 04:51 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with TRD on this one. The 2013 GS is a complete redesign, including the chassis. The suspension is all new and redesigned to include a double wishbone setup up front which is not even close to the previous car. The "chassis" includes lighter and stronger steel that the previous car never had. It's longer, wider, taller, and weighs 70-80 lbs less. It's also the first Lexus in history to have a true dual exhaust system. It is not merely an update, not by a long shot.

Last edited by IS350jet; 02-06-12 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 06:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree that the base price of the new ES will remain just under $40k.

My guess is that the price on the popular option packages (3 of which are seen on the majority of cars) will creep up. I noticed that on my '07 vs. the '10. Base price didn't change much and options were where the increase was seen.

Quick Reply: Next-Gen Lexus ES (ES350 and ES300h confirmed)