ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Window Regulator?

Old 06-30-15, 02:03 AM
Ryo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Regulator?

Long time ago I had heard a big crack/pop sound from my driver side door. Window seemed to still work without issues so I forgot about it. Then later I had a issue of when closing the window, it would auto open just before it closed. Slowing pulsing the window closed solved this problem temporarily. Now I've had a issue of my driver side window popping out of it's track. When rolled down, it looks like it's leaning forward, and it I try to close the window (at normal speeds) it would fail. However if I inch the window up and put pressure on it to keep it close to it's track position, it would allow me to close the window. I'm believing it might be the window regulator based on what I've been reading online. Does this sound about right based on the symptoms?

Also does anyone have a detail guide on how to disassemble the door panel of an ES350 '07 and the bolt locations of the regulator? I'd like to take it all apart to confirm the root cause of the problem and get it fixed. I've had regulator issue with my old Honda so I'm comfortable about disassembling my Lexus. Just need to know where all the clips and screws/bolts are located

Thanks!
Old 06-30-15, 08:03 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

there is a remove door panel info here at post 7
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ld-thread.html
Old 06-30-15, 01:25 PM
Ryo
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-02-15, 10:39 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doubt it's the regulator; sounds like a broken plastic clip on the window; I don't have an immediate thread available, but there are others on here that have had the issue and experienced what you have. The only repair? Replacing the glass, from what I know.
Old 07-02-15, 06:11 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had that problem and yes the plastic bracket is broken to hold the window. It can be replace easily with an homemade aluminium plate, you can use the the original plastic bracket to do another one and it will work fine.

To prevent the other windows to get broken, i put a silicone bead on each bracket to add strenght
Old 07-07-15, 09:37 AM
Ryo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I'm guessing it's probably that plastic clip as you guys had suggested. I read that also somewhere about those things breaking.

Blueshark: Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping I would be able to make my own part.. and with you mentioning you made your own. I'm sure I can with the workshop we have at work (lathes/mills/etc). I hate to replace a window just because a plastic clip! By chance do you have a photo of it or dimensions? Just wanting to know what I'm getting into before I take apart the door.
Also thanks for the suggestion on the silicone bead. I'm assuming you just had it bead across, perpendicular, to the breakage area.
Old 07-07-15, 04:29 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This would make a great DIY !

If you can take pictures of your steps that would really help the members.
Old 07-07-15, 06:44 PM
Ryo
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure I'll be making my own unless some how I can source a clip. If I do make one I'll be sure to post about it.
Old 07-09-15, 12:21 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

i can take a picture of the bracket, i've made it with a sheet of aluminium, don't need more than a small piece. I ply it on a vice grip and bang with hammer. To give you an idea, bend the sheet in a 90 degree on one side, then bend a 90 degree on the opposite side, kind of going up the stairs. the glass is sandwich in the bracket with silicone, you don't need to glue it solid since the weight of the glass will seat on the bracket.

In my case, when the bracket broke, i sill have the other side so i mirror the bracket to accept the glass.

BTW, you don't need to remove anything inside the door, only to remove the door trim. lower the glass to expose the bracket and peel off the moisture plastic.

Once you see the broken clip, you will understand easily how to fix it, since the bracket can be removed by remove one bolt, you can examine it closely.

Good luck
Old 07-09-15, 12:32 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ryo
Thanks guys. I'm guessing it's probably that plastic clip as you guys had suggested. I read that also somewhere about those things breaking.

Blueshark:
Also thanks for the suggestion on the silicone bead. I'm assuming you just had it bead across, perpendicular, to the breakage area.
No, i bead the other window glass with line between the bracket and the glass, both sides of the glass. you don't have to put it on the bracket , it will not add force to the bracket, for me, the reason why the bracket broke is because of the horizontale force (when turning hard), the bracket is made like a fork, lot of support on the handle, but no force to hold the glass from the teeth.

a good image would be this:
http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...sash-bolt2.jpg

this is the clip : http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...from-car-a.jpg

Found this side to show you on another car how they repaired your problem, the plastic bracket is like the lexus one : http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com...dow-regulator/
Old 07-09-15, 01:53 PM
GCL
Driver

So it's just that beige coloured clip?
The link that you'd provided shows that clips (albeit for other car makes) are cheaply available.

I thought it was such a big deal. People were saying that they had to pay $700 (or whatever) to replace the window because the clips were glued on etc. It seems like a straightforward Diy repair, thanks
Old 07-12-15, 04:49 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Yes the beige clips and ebay has a lot of it, glass thickness is not that different from car to car, you only need to align the screw hole to yours, i think i might try one in the future.

Glass clips are nothing special, no glue needed, the glass is inserted inthe clip. I make my own when it broke, but any clips will do in my mind.

hope that helps.
Old 07-14-15, 01:25 PM
Ryo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips/photos/etc. Probably rip the door apart this weeks to take a look at the damage. Been procrastinating looking at it for a while..
Old 07-14-15, 02:42 PM
GCL
Driver

Don't worry. Just follow the post #7 referenced earlier on how to remove the door panel. It's quite easy. Read the "pro tip" at the end of post #7, on how to reinstall and realign the panel for install. It will make it a lot easier to realign.
Old 09-18-16, 02:45 PM
Blue Moose Engineering
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I encourage anyone to try to DIY this but if you don't want to use another plastic clip from a GM car and you don't want to try to fabricate something at home, I make a complete repair kit for this that comes with everything you need, including a machined aluminum clip in the exact OEM dimensions, that will never break again. Club Lexus members get 15% off. PM me for a PayPal button or visit my website - http://bluemooseengineering.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Regulator?