ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Another sad trunk story....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 05:08 PM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another sad trunk story....

A few weeks ago I was unloading some things from my trunk. It was dark and wet outside, and when I closed it, the first time it didn't close so I tried again a little harder...and it closed but now will not open. I tried all the typical things...key fob, inside release, the glove compartment button, taking the posts of the battery, etc etc...and finally, today I took it to the Lexus dealer. They took it back to the shop and 45 minutes later told me they tried all the tricks they know, ran computer diagnostics that showed no obvious problem...and referred me to their preferred autobody shop and told me they would have to cut into the trunk to remove the lock assembly and then replace or repair it, and do the necessary body work to the trunk. ARGH! They think something got lodged in the locking mechanism and that's why it won't open. You can hear the beep when using the FOB to try to open the truck and the click using the inside button. Has anyone had this happen? Is there any recourse besides paying probably thousands to have the trunk cut open to do the repair? Oh...and to top it off, I even tried accessing the trunk via the little hatch door to pull down the emergency trunk release using my umbrella and the little green tab thingy promptly broke into pieces. Turns out there is a recall on it, but they can't get inside to fix it anyway. ps...none of my grandkids are small enough to fit back there thru the hatch hole to see if they can see anything lodged in it and remove it. Helppppp.
Old 05-04-15, 05:16 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 845 Likes on 642 Posts

Ask somebody to pull the trunk release cable and you try to open the trunk lid, but hard.
Old 05-04-15, 05:22 PM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Default When you say...

pull the release, do you mean press the button inside the car or press the button on the trunk itself or using the fob? I can't get to the release that's inside the trunk but I'm thinking the idea of having someone push the button, or fob and someone else pulling up on the trunk really hard is worth a try! I'd be surprised if the mechanics at Lexus didn't try that, but I'll give it a shot! Can't hurt and who knows? Thank you!!! I'll let you know if that works.
Old 05-04-15, 05:52 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

how about removing the rear seat and getting into the trunk that way?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01.pdf (159.5 KB, 249 views)
File Type: pdf
02.pdf (75.9 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-04-15, 06:20 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the dealer pull hard on the emergency release which is located just aft of the pass thru access door? There is a loop of cable (plastic coated) about 3 inches aft of the access door at about the same height as the top of the door opening. If you pull the cable loop towards the driver side, you'll release the trunk latch. The loop is in somewhat of a recess, so you have to feel for it. This is NOT the emergency "T" handle release on the underside of the trunk lid.
Old 05-04-15, 07:34 PM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Default so a pretty happy ending to the sad trunk story..,

Pulling the 'secret' trunk release wire that is just above the hatch opening in the back seat did the trick. That's the first time I've seen the inside of my trunk in ages!! Once I shut it again tho, same issue. I had to go to the secret trunk release wire and give it a tug and that allowed the trunk to open again. Now at least I can use my trunk again, and take my car in to get it fixed...and probably not the dealership since they were referring me to their preferred body shop to have my trunk cut open to fix the problem. NOT! Any ideas what is wrong with it? Thank you again to all who offered ideas and helped me get that trunk opened and a big on my face.
Old 05-04-15, 07:58 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

The secret trunk wire, that's what I told you to pull.
Old 05-04-15, 08:34 PM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes...you did...

I'm not very mechanically inclined so until it was explained a little further I didn't know what or where it was. Now if I could figure out why that's the only way the trunk will open, I'd be really happy.
Old 05-05-15, 02:49 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveWins
Pulling the 'secret' trunk release wire that is just above the hatch opening in the back seat did the trick. That's the first time I've seen the inside of my trunk in ages!! Once I shut it again tho, same issue. I had to go to the secret trunk release wire and give it a tug and that allowed the trunk to open again. Now at least I can use my trunk again, and take my car in to get it fixed...and probably not the dealership since they were referring me to their preferred body shop to have my trunk cut open to fix the problem. NOT! Any ideas what is wrong with it? Thank you again to all who offered ideas and helped me get that trunk opened and a big on my face.
You should not have to "cut" anything out to replace the trunk lock assembly. Go to another dealer who knows how to remove the lock mechanism in the trunk base and in the trunk lid. Also considering the dealer wasn't smart enough to use the emergency pull to open the trunk I wouldn't trust them to work on the car.
Old 05-05-15, 03:38 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

I cannot believe that they're are that stupid.
Old 05-06-15, 08:39 AM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Talking I agree!

I have a call in to the Service Manager at the dealership to let him know what my experience was. I've liked that dealership as many years ago when I bought my first Lexus (used and had 105k miles on it, bought it from the local Acura dealer), and within a couple months it started making an odd sound. Took it to this Lexus dealership and they found the transmission was about to go out. It was past the warranty by a few months (previous owner had to have it replaced so this was the 3rd tranny!) , but they honored it anyway and replaced the transmission FREE. Since then I've been loyal to them. This situation is ridiculous. Had I not questioned their suggested fix it would have cost me a boat load of money. I'm really grateful for everyones help. My plan is NOT to go to them to fix it. They might end up saying they need to replace my engine to fix the locking mechanism on the trunk. At this point that seems to be the trouble. I don't see anything stuck in there and it just won't release or latch unless I press on the key fob to close it, or pull the secret release in the trunk to open. Better than no trunk access at all for now!!!
Old 05-06-15, 09:39 AM
nevernu
Instructor

>> press on the key fob to close it

thats really weird
Old 05-06-15, 09:52 AM
LoveWins
Driver School Candidate

Default I agree but

it seems to prompt the trunk latch to release so that it will close again, if that makes sense. Otherwise I can close it over and over and over put it never catches, just remains open. After I press the trunk button on the fob it allows me to close it. The more I try to explain it the crazier it sounds, but trust me, it works.
Old 05-06-15, 10:07 AM
nevernu
Instructor

ah i see, did u try squirting lube into the lock latch area and moving it back and forth several times?
Old 05-06-15, 10:19 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's what I would try. WD40 or other door lock lube.

Quick Reply: Another sad trunk story....