ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bought a Used 2007 ES350 with 3,150 miles on it

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 12:42 AM
jtse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelexus88
The tires will have a date code on them as part of the DOT number on the sidewall. You can sort that out on the Tire Rack website as well as other sites. That date will help you determine if the tires are original or something newer.
All the tires had 51st week of 2006 on the side wall according to the toyotires how to read a sidewall.
Old 04-12-15, 03:39 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by jtse
Ha, it is probably the bad camera angle. I took it quickly through the window shot to show my friends. I also just sat in it for quite some time moments before I took that photo.

The leather is really soft, so it doesn't bounce back right away from imprints. The backseat imprints are from me testing my baby seats.

Unless there is known case of faking the odometer, there is really no doubt in my mind this car is in an incredibly good quality for such an old model.
That would explain the appearance of the seat. I truly am happy for you and wish you the best with this mint car. A once in a lifetime find for sure
Old 04-12-15, 11:06 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a great deal that you'd found. It's really, really hard to "beat" a dealer on price because they don't attach any emotion to buying/selling cars- unlike most customers, the dealer only sees a car as a commodity. It's a business deal for them, not a love affair.

Enjoy your new (to you) vehicle!
Old 04-12-15, 11:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GCL
That's a great deal that you'd found. It's really, really hard to "beat" a dealer on price because they don't attach any emotion to buying/selling cars- unlike most customers, the dealer only sees a car as a commodity. It's a business deal for them, not a love affair.

Enjoy your new (to you) vehicle!
+1. If they got attached to the cars, they wouldn't sell too many.
Old 04-12-15, 06:03 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The most important item to check for on this car would be to ensure that the VVT oil supply line (rear bank, if I remember correctly) has been replaced with the all steel tube per Service Bulletin No. LSC-9LH. There is an associated free Customer Service Campaign to replace it. You can check for the recalls (2) and other SBs here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/. The dealer or a dealer at some time should have accomplished the two recalls and the VVT oil line SB (the latest revision). If the tires ARE older than six years, they should be replaced. I would also suggest that the original coolant be drained and replaced with new Toyota coolant, and that the brake fluid be changed/flushed/bled if there is no record of having been accomplished. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Last edited by oldgrump; 04-12-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 03:05 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on a great find!!.
Old 04-15-15, 02:26 PM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome! I bought an 07 ES last year, but it was NOT garage kept and it was in Florida... Sun damage on the dash and gear shifter. You found a unicorn, my friend. AWESOME.
Old 05-03-15, 12:53 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Dealers loathe the "tan/gold on beige/tan" cars... It takes a specific kind of person to buy that!

As long as you enjoy it, that's what matters.
Old 05-03-15, 02:01 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Dealers loathe the "tan/gold on beige/tan" cars... It takes a specific kind of person to buy that!

As long as you enjoy it, that's what matters.
Definitely my least favorite color. I'm not sure what Lexus was thinking with that one.
Old 05-03-15, 09:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Someone must be buying them because Lexus has had that color combo around for years, and car companies don't keep around colors, even good ones, if they aren't making money. Two colors that come to mind are RSP and spectra blue mica
Old 05-04-15, 01:10 AM
jtse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? Gold and beige is a bad color combination?

I see like a lot of camry's and ES's that has this color.

It does look like a grandpa's car though. But, I dont feel like it is ugly in anyway.

I had a mechanic take a look at the car and he said it is like it is new. Horrah!

Most of the recalls were done too. The brake fluid is like super clear and battery is new. It is at 4000 miles now. I decided to put in 87 octane gas to see what the difference is. I honestly don't feel anything different. As the engine is identical to the one in the Camry, I don't see any problem giving it 87. Any thoughts about that?
Old 05-04-15, 03:09 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

The computer (ECU) adjusts ignition parameters to the octane. You'll get slightly better performance and fuel economy with 91 or 93. But in my opinion, not enough to notice and make up for the added cost. I've had the 300, 330 and 350 engines, all ran fine on regular and never gave me mechanical problems. I'm convinced that it only matters on engineering documents. If you're of that type mindset, it may matter to you.
Old 05-04-15, 06:31 AM
GCL
Driver

I've been running regular fuel for a couple of years now. I could feel no difference.

Very few people will need the 4 extra horsepower that premium will get you (at WOT - how often do you go to WOT?) I've operated the Techstream monitor live, and the knock sensor has never kicked in when running on regular gas. Regular will give you all the performance you real need.

No problem.

Last edited by GCL; 05-04-15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 07:15 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
The computer (ECU) adjusts ignition parameters to the octane. You'll get slightly better performance and fuel economy with 91 or 93. But in my opinion, not enough to notice and make up for the added cost. I've had the 300, 330 and 350 engines, all ran fine on regular and never gave me mechanical problems. I'm convinced that it only matters on engineering documents. If you're of that type mindset, it may matter to you.
Wrong. There is no method of the vehicle sensing the octane of the fuel because there is no magical octane sensor. If the engine senses knocking because the fuel octane is too low, it retards timing to protect the engine.
I'm not sure where people get the idea that there is an octane sensor in their tank that allows the engine to compensate. If there was, manufacturers could specify that you can use any gas and that premium would give you optimal performance. And GCL, that is a very broad statement right there. Just because it has worked for your car, doesn't mean the same is true for all cars.

Moral of the story: If it's worth it to you to save pennies and hope that you're not having detonation in the engine, run regular. For me, the cost of an engine replacement is not worth the extra $.20-.30 saved per gallon. Look at it this way: if you kept the car for 200,000 miles and averaged 20 miles per gallon, at $0.30 per gallon difference, you would save $3,000. For most who only drive 100,000 before dumping the car, you're looking at $1,500. And that's saved over a large span of years.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-04-15 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-04-15, 09:51 AM
GCL
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Wrong. There is no method of the vehicle sensing the octane of the fuel because there is no magical octane sensor. If the engine senses knocking because the fuel octane is too low, it retards timing to protect the engine.
I'm not sure where people get the idea that there is an octane sensor in their tank that allows the engine to compensate. If there was, manufacturers could specify that you can use any gas and that premium would give you optimal performance. And GCL, that is a very broad statement right there. Just because it has worked for your car, doesn't mean the same is true for all cars.

Moral of the story: If it's worth it to you to save pennies and hope that you're not having detonation in the engine, run regular. For me, the cost of an engine replacement is not worth the extra $.20-.30 saved per gallon. Look at it this way: if you kept the car for 200,000 miles and averaged 20 miles per gallon, at $0.30 per gallon difference, you would save $3,000. For most who only drive 100,000 before dumping the car, you're looking at $1,500. And that's saved over a large span of years.
Yeah, I guess you're an expert. Spend the extra money. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Bought a Used 2007 ES350 with 3,150 miles on it