ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Need help in buying a used 2007 Lexus ES350!!!

Old 04-06-15, 09:57 PM
KennyH
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help in buying a used 2007 Lexus ES350!!!

Hello, guys!
I'm very new to this forum and actually this is my first post ever. I just want to say hello to everybody and if someone could help me in buying my first car, I'd really appreciate it. I saw an ad on craiglist for a used 2007 Lexus ES350 and I'm very tempted to buy this car because its close to my budget. This is the ad on autotrader with an autocheck report as well:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...94625057&Log=0

I've contacted the seller and after asking bunch of questions, I asked him how much is his bottom price. And he said $13,500. Is this price fair or high? He claimed that the car is still under Lexus extended warranty until the end of August, 2015 or 100k miles. So basically if I buy this car, do I need to bring it in to do the pre purchase inspection and where do they perform this kind of service? I've noticed that in the autocheck report, they read the mileage about 28k miles but in fact it has around 67k miles currently, so I'm just worrying that something wrong here but the seller told me that it could take few weeks for them to update the exact mileage on the car, is that true? I know this is so many questions but this is my first time buying the car so I'm just trying to avoid as much trouble as good. Please help me out, thank you!!!!
Old 04-07-15, 02:36 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 641 Posts

I checked Carfax and the last service has been done at around 66K, including tranny flush.
The maintenance records are done regularly and there are no accidents.
Go and take it for a test drive, ask about VVTi hose, check for shift flare, knocking noise when cold, rattles etc.
Old 04-07-15, 02:54 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Howdy. Welcome to the forums.

We have an 07 with 155K and it's still running strong. Being a first year ES350, you'd expect some problems. 67K miles is low for an 07; so, some of the problems may not have manifested themselves. We got two recall notices: one for floor mats and the other for premature cracked dash. Ours is always garaged; so we may never see a cracked dash. There was a voluntary recall on an oil line. This can be a serious issue if it cracks as oil will pour out - this happened to us. You'll want to get that replaced if the owner hasn't done so. Toyota will replace it free. Some cars had a leaking timing cover. Toyota will only replace or consider partial compensation if the owner complains about the problem within the warranty period. Ours started leaking after the warranty period expired. Oil seeps slowly down the PS pump and passenger side of the oil pan. Ours seeps very slowly I wipe it down at every oil change and it has yet to seep enough to drip on the ground. Others have reported a bigger leak. I've also replaced the radiator, at about 80K; it had a leak at the upper header gasket. ADP pulley went bad and fried the alternator just a couple of months ago. Other than that, car runs strong and still gets decent gas mileage.

Nothing like a good old test drive. Take it out for a spin and make sure it accelerates smoothly; shifts smoothly; and stops promptly and without pulling to the sides. At 67K the car should be on it's second set of front brake pads. If not, the the pads will need replacing soon. As for the value, look up Kelly Blue Book; they have a good online tool to give you an idea of a fair price.
Old 04-07-15, 08:25 AM
KennyH
Rookie

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
I checked Carfax and the last service has been done at around 66K, including tranny flush.
The maintenance records are done regularly and there are no accidents.
Go and take it for a test drive, ask about VVTi hose, check for shift flare, knocking noise when cold, rattles etc.
Thank you for your response, I have read the autocheck report and I didn't see any maintenance records for the car. Where did you get that records and if you don't mind, could you please send it to me? I'm in the middle of negotiate on the final price. The seller is pretty firm on 13,500 but I want to buy it for around 11,000~12,000 since there is a dealer in my area has the same model without NAV at the same mileage but they're asking for only 11,000. Since I'm buying from private party, I'm hoping that I could get better rather than buying it off of dealer. Do you have any tips how to negotiate with the seller?
Originally Posted by chuyrobles
Howdy. Welcome to the forums.

We have an 07 with 155K and it's still running strong. Being a first year ES350, you'd expect some problems. 67K miles is low for an 07; so, some of the problems may not have manifested themselves. We got two recall notices: one for floor mats and the other for premature cracked dash. Ours is always garaged; so we may never see a cracked dash. There was a voluntary recall on an oil line. This can be a serious issue if it cracks as oil will pour out - this happened to us. You'll want to get that replaced if the owner hasn't done so. Toyota will replace it free. Some cars had a leaking timing cover. Toyota will only replace or consider partial compensation if the owner complains about the problem within the warranty period. Ours started leaking after the warranty period expired. Oil seeps slowly down the PS pump and passenger side of the oil pan. Ours seeps very slowly I wipe it down at every oil change and it has yet to seep enough to drip on the ground. Others have reported a bigger leak. I've also replaced the radiator, at about 80K; it had a leak at the upper header gasket. ADP pulley went bad and fried the alternator just a couple of months ago. Other than that, car runs strong and still gets decent gas mileage.

Nothing like a good old test drive. Take it out for a spin and make sure it accelerates smoothly; shifts smoothly; and stops promptly and without pulling to the sides. At 67K the car should be on it's second set of front brake pads. If not, the the pads will need replacing soon. As for the value, look up Kelly Blue Book; they have a good online tool to give you an idea of a fair price.
Thank you for your thorough reply. I will check all things that you've recommended for me. As I said, the seller claimed that the car is still under Lexus warranty until Aug, 2015 or 100k miles. I'm just wondering if this warranty is transferable and if there's something broken during the warranty time, will they replace it for me at small cost?
Old 04-07-15, 04:03 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

Ask to see the warranty documents, it will state whether it's transferrable or not. As far as negotiating goes, Lexus are typically in high demand and short supply. You don't have the advantage unless the seller thinks you'll walk. Have you checked Edmunds to confirm market value? Google for lowest used car prices by city, you may find a nearby area has better prices. Good luck

Last edited by swfla; 04-09-15 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-07-15, 05:59 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KennyH
Thank you for your response, I have read the autocheck report and I didn't see any maintenance records for the car. Where did you get that records and if you don't mind, could you please send it to me? I'm in the middle of negotiate on the final price. The seller is pretty firm on 13,500 but I want to buy it for around 11,000~12,000 since there is a dealer in my area has the same model without NAV at the same mileage but they're asking for only 11,000. Since I'm buying from private party, I'm hoping that I could get better rather than buying it off of dealer. Do you have any tips how to negotiate with the seller?
That's from carfax. Send me your email and I will send screenshots.

Tell him you have $13000.
Old 04-08-15, 08:06 AM
KennyH
Rookie

That's from carfax. Send me your email and I will send screenshots.

Tell him you have $13000.
Ah, that's why. This is my email address: kenh1991@yahoo.com
Thank you so much!!
Old 04-08-15, 08:49 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Check your email and report back
Old 04-08-15, 09:00 AM
KennyH
Rookie

Check your email and report back
Thank you so much! This report shows much details than the autocheck report. I think that this car has pretty good service records. As far as I know that the seller just brought it in for another service plus washing and detailing the car. The only 2 things that concern me are the price and if the warranty was transferable.

Last edited by KennyH; 04-08-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 09:16 AM
BarryBrett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 ES350 bought in Canada. I bought the extended warranty of 84 months, which I think was the longest offered. You should check the documentation on the warranty. (I only used the extended warranty once , at 83 months due to an Air Conditioner temp setting issue and they tried to charge some bogus add on fees and never really fixed the problem.)
$ 13 K seems OK. Last time I looked at black book it was around $ 11 k.
Old 04-11-15, 05:39 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

Cargurus.com lists many '07s within 100 miles of zip code 16501. It will give you an idea of what dealers in the area are asking. What the local market is actually asking is even more accurate than any book value. Plus, you may find another one you like better for less money!! Let us know what happens.
Old 04-16-15, 12:26 PM
ESRXGUY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you shot offer them what ever you think is fair. It's a Black car with tan interior. (hard to keep the inside clean and hard to keep the outside clean! No one is going to be running to buy the car for that price because of the color. The car looks very clean. you can tell because that color interior is hard to keep clean. I personally would never buy another black car. I do like the low milage on the car. This is why he is standing firm. I personally like black interior on these Lexus's and silver paint. I paid 13.5 for mine with 90K last year if that helps you any. Thats my 2 cents
FWIW… we have an 07 ES 350 w/ Navi and love it!
Old 04-16-15, 02:00 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Interior of mine is light gray and that's is the best color for the interior. Darker interiors look outdated.
Old 04-19-15, 09:29 AM
KennyH
Rookie

Hi guys, just a quick update that I'm still in process of negotiating with the seller. I've been offering him 12.5k so far and he told me that he would think about it. The price on Autotrader has been dropped from 15k to 13.5k so I'm thinking that there is a high chance for me to buy the car around 12.5k to 13k. Thank you for all of your help, I am greatly appreciated.