ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Spark Plugs and tune up ?

Old 03-25-15, 07:56 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Spark Plugs and tune up ?

Hi i was wondering
so i know in my older cars a tune up would consist of Spark plugs possibly plug wires also.

but in the 07 es350 i don't have plug wires
so i am wondering what exactly would a

Tune up consist off for preventive maintenance for the ES350 07 model i have.

right now i have 105k in april i will be driving back to FL and i will then leave in May for Wyoming ill have around 114k by the beginning of Summer

so far have had all the fluids changed over the past 12 months 30k so i am not worried about any of the major fluids such as PS Trans Brake coolant and such like that
so i am just wondering about spark plugs

but would i want to worry about more than a Spark plug change Fuel INjection cleaning service and Oil change along with engine filter change anyting else i would want to think about right at that time ?
Old 03-28-15, 05:43 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

so i called a dealer today just to check on a price they said 461 after taxes and shop fees and all.

i didn't mention anything about my 15% discount that i get for being a costco member i looked under some info and i know i have had them honor it before so after that it would be like just a tad under 400 is this reasonable for spark plugs to be changed ?

the one reason i want to have it done at the dealer is because i want to make sure that if something does go wrong that the dealer is a smart place to go because if it wasnt bad before or doing anything wrong at least there shop probsbly has insurance ot cover damages that there labor or work might cause

the last time i ever had spark plugs changed on one of my cars it was a total pain in the *** ordeal.

some carbon ended up being knocked loose and landed right ontop of one of the pistons i think is what i was told and then i needed a full top end cleanign the car ran like **** for a whyll but after about 5 hours of work and a full top end engine cleaning service overnight with it soaking and all it finaly got fixed cost me like close to 500 dollars for that alone.
Old 03-29-15, 03:53 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I would suggest if you are getting the plugs replaced I would also have each ignition coil pack replaced. Because they need to remove the air chamber on top of the engine to replace the plugs you might as well do the coils while you are at it. Also because they are now exposed you might want to replace the rear fuel injectors because just like the plugs you need to remove the top end to do this. On the other hand with 100K+ miles on it I would sell it before any work is done.
Old 03-29-15, 07:58 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would suggest if you are getting the plugs replaced I would also have each ignition coil pack replaced. Because they need to remove the air chamber on top of the engine to replace the plugs you might as well do the coils while you are at it. Also because they are now exposed you might want to replace the rear fuel injectors because just like the plugs you need to remove the top end to do this. On the other hand with 100K+ miles on it I would sell it before any work is done.
so just because it has a 100K plus on it you would sell it ?
im confused.

i have a warranty contract on it throught a company that has always been reliable its a power train warranty so im sure if the fuel injectors go or if there are any issues with a coil going bad that they would probably cover that if they see that i have done regular maintenance so far they have never rejected any Mechanical issues that have needed to be done.
the dealerships i go to to have the work done say that it's been th easiest warranty company they have ever delt with.
so far i have had the water pump replaced the alternator replace driver side front cv axle replaced and they have paid for it all no issues.
so i don't plan on selling the car i have another 90 k before the service contract expires then i will sell the car.
Old 03-30-15, 06:10 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
so just because it has a 100K plus on it you would sell it ?
im confused.

i have a warranty contract on it throught a company that has always been reliable its a power train warranty so im sure if the fuel injectors go or if there are any issues with a coil going bad that they would probably cover that if they see that i have done regular maintenance so far they have never rejected any Mechanical issues that have needed to be done.
the dealerships i go to to have the work done say that it's been th easiest warranty company they have ever delt with.
so far i have had the water pump replaced the alternator replace driver side front cv axle replaced and they have paid for it all no issues.
so i don't plan on selling the car i have another 90 k before the service contract expires then i will sell the car.
It seem that you have answered your own questions so if your warranty company pays for your service then just wait until something breaks and get it repaired. Coils and injectors are similar to spark plugs. they are consumables and if your warranty company pays for them then you have a good deal. Maybe you should share the companies name so other can take advantage of it. You seemed to focus on the sell it statement instead of the recommendation to do other service while the plugs are being changed. Sounds like you have a premium warranty if they cover filters and fluid service as well as plugs and coils. So what is the monthly cost for this warranty.
Old 03-30-15, 07:09 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I would suggest if you are getting the plugs replaced I would also have each ignition coil pack replaced.
Coil packs typically last the life of the car unless there is a bad grounding issue. At $60+ a piece plus labor, that is a big waste of money. The condition of the used spark plug will typically indicate if the coil is performing aside from any indicating CEL codes.

injectors are virtualy lifetime parts too. A full bench cleaning is about $25 per injector with new o-rings and seals. You don't need to touch them unless the seals leak or the injector has signs of being stuck open.
Old 03-30-15, 11:35 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Coil packs typically last the life of the car unless there is a bad grounding issue. At $60+ a piece plus labor, that is a big waste of money. The condition of the used spark plug will typically indicate if the coil is performing aside from any indicating CEL codes.

injectors are virtualy lifetime parts too. A full bench cleaning is about $25 per injector with new o-rings and seals. You don't need to touch them unless the seals leak or the injector has signs of being stuck open.
No problem as I was responding to the OP who was looking for suggestions on PM's. Now the bigger question is "how long is a lifetime".
Old 03-30-15, 05:46 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

my warranty company will cover filters and fluids if it has to be done to complete a cover compnonent.
but they don;t just cover fluids and filters and service like that.

on its own i still have to pay for regular maitnance upkeep to keep the service contract valid.

like if a coil goes bad and say it has 150k on the car. if i can't show that i followed the recommended maintenance on it and say that its a plug that caused it to go bad and i can't prove that i changed them during the recomended by lexus service stuff like that then they won't cover it.
but if i can show that i did upkeep with the maintenance required and suggested by lexus then they will cover the parts that get damaged.

it's a company called Simplicity by a Finance group owes it that is called EFG. but its simplicity warranty.
my plan was like 2300 i think and i am paying 103 per month for it.
so far i have made payments in the ammoutn of 700 dollars
and they have paid for around 2500 in work
thats the W/P Alternator and Driver Axle assembly.

this is the second contract i have had with this company i have the top of the line coverage for the power train option they have like 3 different powertrain options that all include different things not just the power train alone.
then they also have other plans that are bumper to bumper and all of that.

the old contract was a bumper to bumper that was a 50k warranty when it expired they had spent around
around 3000 on repairs also. on that service contract and i only paid 1800 for it it when the car had 46k on it.
once it had 68k on the car it needed new struts and shocks.
they paid for the shocks and struts the paid for the tie rods both front outer tie rods and 1 inner i think. they also paid for the stab links in the rear. and there was one other thing i can't remember what it was i think it was one of the W/P pulleys that went bad

the only thing they did not approve was when the w/p needed to be repalced one of the components had corosion and rust and they would not cover that but other than that never had any issues.

i have had all the work done at Lexus Dealerships when the repairs needed to be done.
the shocks struts suspensions stuff they all paid for OEM Lexus parts.

the W/P they paid for OEM parts.

The Alternator and the Driver Axle they replaced they supplied there own parts for because the vendor they got the parts from there vendors with warrantys that cover the entire contract of the service contract.
so the vendor they go tthe parts from if it goes bad they cover and pay for labor and supply the parts untill the service contract is over and i don't pay anything for it .
Old 03-31-15, 05:37 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
my warranty company will cover filters and fluids if it has to be done to complete a cover compnonent.
but they don;t just cover fluids and filters and service like that.

on its own i still have to pay for regular maitnance upkeep to keep the service contract valid.

like if a coil goes bad and say it has 150k on the car. if i can't show that i followed the recommended maintenance on it and say that its a plug that caused it to go bad and i can't prove that i changed them during the recomended by lexus service stuff like that then they won't cover it.
but if i can show that i did upkeep with the maintenance required and suggested by lexus then they will cover the parts that get damaged.

it's a company called Simplicity by a Finance group owes it that is called EFG. but its simplicity warranty.
my plan was like 2300 i think and i am paying 103 per month for it.
so far i have made payments in the ammoutn of 700 dollars
and they have paid for around 2500 in work
thats the W/P Alternator and Driver Axle assembly.

this is the second contract i have had with this company i have the top of the line coverage for the power train option they have like 3 different powertrain options that all include different things not just the power train alone.
then they also have other plans that are bumper to bumper and all of that.

the old contract was a bumper to bumper that was a 50k warranty when it expired they had spent around
around 3000 on repairs also. on that service contract and i only paid 1800 for it it when the car had 46k on it.
once it had 68k on the car it needed new struts and shocks.
they paid for the shocks and struts the paid for the tie rods both front outer tie rods and 1 inner i think. they also paid for the stab links in the rear. and there was one other thing i can't remember what it was i think it was one of the W/P pulleys that went bad

the only thing they did not approve was when the w/p needed to be repalced one of the components had corosion and rust and they would not cover that but other than that never had any issues.

i have had all the work done at Lexus Dealerships when the repairs needed to be done.
the shocks struts suspensions stuff they all paid for OEM Lexus parts.

the W/P they paid for OEM parts.

The Alternator and the Driver Axle they replaced they supplied there own parts for because the vendor they got the parts from there vendors with warrantys that cover the entire contract of the service contract.
so the vendor they go tthe parts from if it goes bad they cover and pay for labor and supply the parts untill the service contract is over and i don't pay anything for it .
Thank you for sharing the info. It appears all you need to do is follow the Lexus PM schedule and that will satisfy your warranty. Being that's the case then you shouldn't need any recommendations from the form members as the PM schedule has them all. $1200 a year sounds like a lot but if it meets your need then great. Thanks.