ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Paint peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 10:28 PM
jawadarsha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint peeling off

My front bumper has its paint peeling off very fast, I could get whole bumper painted but is there anything that I can do at home to get it done my self and save money? Please let me know
attaching pictures
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Paint peeling off-car-paint-peel-1.jpg   Paint peeling off-car-paint-peel-2.jpg   Paint peeling off-car-paint-peel-3.jpg  
Old 03-18-15, 05:43 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

You could sand and respray using the OEM color in a rattle can but that would only be a patch. In order to fix it correctly so it will last the cover needs to be removed and resprayed.
Old 03-18-15, 10:05 PM
jawadarsha
Driver School Candidate

Default paint peeling off

thanks, is ebay a good place to buy those spray paints?
Old 03-19-15, 05:19 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jawadarsha
thanks, is ebay a good place to buy those spray paints?
Get your paint code and go to a auto parts store and look it up. Usually Dupli-color has a match. Other option is go to the dealer and get it from them.
Old 03-19-15, 06:11 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a couple of online stores (Automotive touch up, Paintscratch) that have good reviews. Be aware that paint matching is very difficult due to your old paint being faded by age and possible previous resprays that you may not be aware.

Don't bother trying to spot paint. It won't match. You need to respray the whole bumper. Take it off (not too hard). Prepare the bumper - sand, primer, paint, clear coat, buff). Note that the new paint likely won't match, but it will be close. Almost all cars bumper's paint won't match the metal body (even when factory new) because the underlying material is different.
Old 03-19-15, 06:12 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Its a Lexus, take it to a pro.
Old 03-19-15, 05:37 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense but if the guy is asking if theres a way to do it on the cheap I doubt hes comfortable enough to take the bumper off, or capable of doing the prep work and painting. If he does im sure theres going to be a ton of runs and imperfections.

That color is pretty hard to match even with paint codes. He'll have to fork over the money to a body shop whos painter doesnt suck and can tweak it. If theyre competent it should look pretty close.

Also, paint just doesnt bubble that badly for no reason. Looks like there was a large impact as I can see two small dots and what looks like a hairline crack by the grill surround where its delaminated.
Old 03-24-15, 07:51 AM
jawadarsha
Driver School Candidate

Default paint peeling off

thanks guys,
XanderES, I bought this car few month ago, front bumper is repainted but a bad job, I am planning to repaint it sometimes this summer as this is something coming sooner or later
By all the comments I gather that touchup is not feasible for this kind of peeled paint/chips
I will get estimates from Lexus and other auto body shops for front bumper paint. The color is Moon Shell Mica, code: 3R4.

Does anyone know/have experience of how much would it cost to repaint front bumper? (ES350, model: 2007)
Old 03-25-15, 11:17 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jawadarsha
thanks guys,
XanderES, I bought this car few month ago, front bumper is repainted but a bad job, I am planning to repaint it sometimes this summer as this is something coming sooner or later
By all the comments I gather that touchup is not feasible for this kind of peeled paint/chips
I will get estimates from Lexus and other auto body shops for front bumper paint. The color is Moon Shell Mica, code: 3R4.

Does anyone know/have experience of how much would it cost to repaint front bumper? (ES350, model: 2007)
I've had a few cars (not Lexus) refinished and resprayed from $400 to $600 depending on size/shape of bumper. Should be in that arena unless the paint is horribly expensive. Those numbers included flex additive to help not cause the cracking you're seeing...