ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

high mounted stop light

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 07:57 PM
biggear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high mounted stop light

Does anyone have any experience repairing a center LED stop light on a 2010 Lexus ES 350? I have removed the light bar and opened it up but how do I replace one of the diodes? Everything is so small I can't even tell if they are soldered in or attached in some other manor. Lexus wants over $500 for a replacement which is unbelievable considering what it is. I am new to this forum and I don't know what to expect but any help would be most appreciated.
Old 03-12-15, 08:35 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

here is the wiring diagram for what its worth; the center stop light is mentioned. looks simple maybe wire colors will give some clues.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sl.pdf (106.7 KB, 588 views)
Old 03-13-15, 03:34 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What was wrong with the center stop light?
Was it only partially lit (i.e. a few of the LEDs within the bar was burnt out)?
Were your regular stop lights out at the same time?

Originally Posted by biggear
Does anyone have any experience repairing a center LED stop light on a 2010 Lexus ES 350? I have removed the light bar and opened it up but how do I replace one of the diodes? Everything is so small I can't even tell if they are soldered in or attached in some other manor. Lexus wants over $500 for a replacement which is unbelievable considering what it is. I am new to this forum and I don't know what to expect but any help would be most appreciated.
Old 03-13-15, 10:06 AM
biggear
Driver School Candidate

One LED went out which triggered the warning light. The regular stop lights still worked. Unfortunately they are not bulbs that can be easily replaced. There are 36 of them attached to a circuit board by some micro process. I suppose I could bridge over the failed bulb but I don't know how to solder in such a tiny shunt. I would have to have a soldering gun with a tip the size of a pin and would have to work under a magnifying glass. Replacing the whole light bar would be a lot easier but I cant find anything in the junk yards or in the after market. Paying Lexus $500 really sticks in the throat. Thanks for your interest.
Old 03-13-15, 04:51 PM
GCL
Driver

That sucks. I saw on eBay that there's the LED bar portion (no housing). For $80. 2008 year. Not sure of fitment.

If you are handy, you may want to replace the OEM strip with one of those generic strips that you see at Walmart / auto stores. It would all be hidden in the housing anyways.
Old 03-13-15, 09:52 PM
biggear
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip, I will check out e-bay. I talked to a guy at an electronics parts store today and he also suggested using a generic strip. I guess ] will have to see it in order to know if it can be adapted.
Old 03-14-15, 07:37 AM
GCL
Driver

Yeah. If your existing light doesn't work anyways it might be worth removing the PC board (which it sounds like you have done so already) and put in a red led strip in it's place. Looking at pictures I would just apply the LED strip behind the existing clear lens, and splice in the existing electrical connectors (watch polarity). All your handiwork will be well hidden within the existing housing and lens.

I'm pretty sure your error code is due to lost continuity, rather than amperage sensing. Test it out first to make sure the error light goes away.

Or... buy the used one on Ebay.

Thanks for the tip, I will check out e-bay. I talked to a guy at an electronics parts store today and he also suggested using a generic strip. I guess ] will have to see it in order to know if it can be adapted.
Old 03-14-15, 04:46 PM
biggear
Driver School Candidate

Try as I might I haven't been able to locate the item on e-bay. What did you search under and if it's not too much trouble what is the items auction number? If nothing else I will get my hands on an LED strip and see how I can make it fit. By the way, I have been told that the LEDs are probably O.K. (they are in groups of four and one whole group won't light) but rather one of the two very small resisters that are associated with each group is likely open. Unfortunately they are so small that we were unable to confirm that by substituting another resister. Thanks again for your interest.
Old 03-14-15, 06:08 PM
biggear
Driver School Candidate

GCL:
Boy do I feel stupid. All I had to do was search e-bay with the right heading and I found two lights. One will fit for $260 OBO and one may fit for $80. I will check with Lexus on Monday and figure out which way I will go.
Old 03-14-15, 10:03 PM
GCL
Driver

GCL:
Boy do I feel stupid. All I had to do was search e-bay with the right heading and I found two lights. One will fit for $260 OBO and one may fit for $80. I will check with Lexus on Monday and figure out which way I will go.
Sorry for not replying, I've been out all day. I'm glad you found it. Good luck.
Old 03-17-15, 01:06 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if you've searched this already but you might take a look at the other model forums. Lexus pretty regularly uses essentially the same parts in other cars. You might find a thread on the same problem and a solution in an alternative subforum.
Old 03-23-15, 09:24 AM
biggear
Driver School Candidate

I have looked at other forums but found that the lights were all different. There were a lot of threads for replacing the GS lights but they were not helpful. I solved my problem by purchasing a replacement for $80 on e-bay When you take everything apart it's amazing that Lexus would charge $500 for such a small thing that probably costs just a few bucks to make in China.