ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

drove my car in flooded waters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 02:59 PM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drove my car in flooded waters

so i drove my car through a huge puddle and it stalled out on me! i pushed the car out to higher ground and let it sit. i started the car and it sounded horrible. checked the oil and no water is present on the dip stick. checked the coils and they are also dry. I deceided to check the spark plugs and once again dry. i took out the ecu to get it checked and once again they said it was dry. I put it to the computer and i get random misfiring on cylinder 2 and 3. at time it fluctuates to 2 and 4.. am at a stand still i need help what can this possibly be? white smoke does come out from exsust but stops after a couple of mins. no smell to the smoke whatsoever so am guessing its just water stuck in the tailpipe. plz help

P.S ....the air filter was soaked and there was a lil water in the air intake i dried the filter and removed any moisture from the intake and still misfiring

BTW its an 2007 ES350 ultra luxury edition

Last edited by deezstreet; 03-05-15 at 03:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-05-15, 04:20 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 647 Posts

I'm afraid it sucked too much water. That means you did some damage to your engine.
Old 03-05-15, 04:47 PM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

but i would have seen traces of water somewhere in the plugs or oil? also the white smoked wouldnt of stopped if that was the case of a blown head gasket or cracked head no?

Last edited by deezstreet; 03-05-15 at 04:51 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-05-15, 05:47 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like something is still wet causing intermittent missfires. You should also be seeing codes and your MIL should have triggered. I would pull the coils and blow out the plug area and remove them. Check the connectors on the coils and use some wire dry spray on them same on all of the other connectors on the intake like TPS , the injectors and others. Did you get any water inside the car and if so were the ECU's dry . Do you have a heated garage to let the car dry out. Also use compressed air to continue to blow dry the engine. Pull the front sparkplugs and see if there is water in the cylinders. I can't imagine you got that much water in the engine to cause problems unless it was submerged for any period of time. You may want to do a quick compression test on a few of the cylinders .
Old 03-05-15, 07:11 PM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

thx for your reply JAGTOES.
to answerr your question NO water made it inside the car at all.
the codes that appear are as follows P0300, P0352, P0353
i had a bunch of other ones but after i took out the air filter and air intake and dried those out they went away. I dont know what MIL is sorry for the newbie question i know a decent amount about cars but never heard MIL? And i checked the 3 spark plugs up front and not the back but i did check all the coils and not one of them was moist or wet. my next task is to put in some new spark plugs.....this happened last saturday so its been sitting for almost a full week now.am crossing my fingers

the ecu was dry but is on the firewall on the passenger side Go figure

just checked what MIL is and YES the check engine light is blinking!

Last edited by deezstreet; 03-05-15 at 07:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-06-15, 05:30 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by deezstreet
thx for your reply JAGTOES.
to answerr your question NO water made it inside the car at all.
the codes that appear are as follows P0300, P0352, P0353
i had a bunch of other ones but after i took out the air filter and air intake and dried those out they went away. I dont know what MIL is sorry for the newbie question i know a decent amount about cars but never heard MIL? And i checked the 3 spark plugs up front and not the back but i did check all the coils and not one of them was moist or wet. my next task is to put in some new spark plugs.....this happened last saturday so its been sitting for almost a full week now.am crossing my fingers

the ecu was dry but is on the firewall on the passenger side Go figure

just checked what MIL is and YES the check engine light is blinking!
OK so the P codes say ignition coils for #2 and #3. They may have shorted out but try switching them one at a time with coil #1 to see if they still fail. If so you need to replace them. Also when you have the plugs out take a compression check of those cylinders. Just replace the plugs. Erase the codes and restart and see what you get.
Old 03-07-15, 07:37 AM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

So today I removed all the coils and spark plugs. I bought new Denso plugs the old plugs did not have any sign of moisture but am going to change them any way.... i will update a lil later

By the way the CHECK VSC light is on and the TRAC .....i forgot to mention this with the everything elso going on sorry!
what could that be?

Last edited by deezstreet; 03-07-15 at 08:39 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-07-15, 09:23 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trac and Vsc error always come on when you get a "check engine" light.
I think that it is so you can't miss seeing the warning. Also, traction control algorithms are linked to engine sensors and throttle.

Last edited by GCL; 03-07-15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-07-15, 11:09 AM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

thx GSC so as long as it keeps misfiring those 2 lights will come on.....cool i thought it was something else
Old 03-07-15, 06:42 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it freaked me out the first time I saw it, when one of my ignition coils went out. It really is jarring to see so many lights turn on. You think that the car will blow up.

After doing some research, I found out that all 3 lights will turn on for "check engine". Once I changed out the coil, all was good. There was never an issue with the traction controls/VSC.
Old 03-08-15, 04:46 AM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

So i changed all the spark plugs and now the car is running much better. i still get a code but its only one and its P0351. which is ignition coil on cylinder 1 if am correct. That will be today's task and i will update as i proceed. ONce again again thank you all for the insight and advice.
Old 03-08-15, 05:22 AM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

So I stared the car again and now i get codes P0300,P0351, P0352,P0353 & P0172 what is going on? right after i switched the plugs it was only one code now less than 10 hours later all these other ones plz help?
Old 03-08-15, 06:57 AM
jagtoes
Racer

So I stared the car again and now i get codes P0300,P0351, P0352,P0353 & P0172 what is going on? right after i switched the plugs it was only one code now less than 10 hours later all these other ones plz help?
How did the engine run. Is it still missing or has it smoothed out. Do you know if it ran long enough to go into closed loop and if so did it smooth out. The PO172 is a Bank 1 rich condition which I believe is sensed by the bank 1 O2 sensor. The water temp sensor increases the FI pulse which gives a rich mixture on start up. Erase all of the codes and start it up again and see if it warms up and how it runs. If it stays running and idle drops from 1100 +/- rpm down to 750 rpm you now go into closed loop. Assuming that the MIL light comes back on shut it down and pull one of the plugs that have a failure. See if it is FUEL WET. My bet is there is something that is still wet causing a short or high resistance on a component.
Old 03-08-15, 08:27 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you've got a fouled O2 sensor. You mentioned changing the plugs but I didn't see anything about the coils.Have you tried changing them or moving them around to see if the codes change?
Old 03-08-15, 08:42 AM
deezstreet
Driver School Candidate

in reply to JAGTOES the car smoothed out a heck of a lot ....the RPM now stays stable at around 1100 or so it does not really come down from 1000.

in reply to jkayca i did not change the coils, and yes they have been moved around and still the same issue.

so you suggest i remove some plugs and see if they are fuel wet?
when i removed the old ones they were fuel wet what does this mean?

Quick Reply: drove my car in flooded waters