ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil & Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 09:07 AM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil & Filter Change

The last time I had this done at my neighborhood Lexus, which was a few years back, the printout I received following service only identified the grade of oil, not the brand. In fact, my experience is that Lexus provides as little detail as possible when servicing your car (recently inspected my brakes but didn't provide thickness of pads). So I've been using 100% pure silicone oil in my engine. I wonder if I took it to Lexus for an oil and filter change if they would actually replace the pure silicone oil with more pure silicone or if I would get regular oil. How would I know if the ticket I get doesn't identify anything but grade/weight i.e., 5w-30. They might tell me it's pure silicone but how can I be sure if it's not on the ticket? Also I would want the ticket to say the brand..
Old 02-26-15, 09:31 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 852 Likes on 648 Posts

They mostly put bulk oil 5-20 which is cheap ****.
Old 02-26-15, 07:25 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sf3r8z
The last time I had this done at my neighborhood Lexus, which was a few years back, the printout I received following service only identified the grade of oil, not the brand. In fact, my experience is that Lexus provides as little detail as possible when servicing your car (recently inspected my brakes but didn't provide thickness of pads). So I've been using 100% pure silicone oil in my engine. I wonder if I took it to Lexus for an oil and filter change if they would actually replace the pure silicone oil with more pure silicone or if I would get regular oil. How would I know if the ticket I get doesn't identify anything but grade/weight i.e., 5w-30. They might tell me it's pure silicone but how can I be sure if it's not on the ticket? Also I would want the ticket to say the brand..
Just go ask the service manager what brand oil they use and is it synthetic or dino oil. He should be able to tell you regardless if it is bulk or bottled. My dealer did my 1st oil change which was free and when I asked he told me they used Castrol 5W-30 regular (dino) oil. Ask and you shall receive.
Old 03-04-15, 04:04 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Based on past experience with a few dealers, I am from the show me state, not the tell me state. When they put it in writing, they are libel if what they wrote turns out to be false.
Old 03-04-15, 08:10 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Based on past experience with a few dealers, I am from the show me state, not the tell me state. When they put it in writing, they are libel if what they wrote turns out to be false.
It sound like you answered your own question. So why didn't you ask the service manager to give it to you in writing.
Old 03-05-15, 03:06 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

I did. I make it clear that I wanted more in the way of specifics and it fell on deaf ears. .
Old 03-05-15, 04:13 PM
jagtoes
Racer

I did. I make it clear that I wanted more in the way of specifics and it fell on deaf ears. .
If that is what you asked then I can understand why he gave you what he did. If I were concerned about what they use (I did this at my 1st and only dealer oil change) I would ask them to tell me the brand and weight of the oil they use and ask to see either the drum or bottles. If refused I would ask to see the general manager . You need to be a little more assertive. I even asked for my oil oil filter to be returned in a plastic bag just to keep them on their toe. Also just my personal habit if/when I need work done on any vehicle I make sure I tell the service person or manager I want any parts that the replace and if they need to keep them for warranty purpose then I want to see them before I take the car. As long as you have the brand and weight you can find out the overall specifications on the net. Good luck.