Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 06:20 AM
tocjonah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace complete audio system?? 2008 ES350

Please, advice on aftermarket systems.

I'd like to solve two problems.
1 - Obviously, a 2008 has "poor" integration with Apple OS8.1. I'd like to have Siri and my contacts, seamlessly work with my vehicle. I've been told by Lexus to "forget that thought."

2 - Paying $75 - $150 to update my maps drives me crazy and is a waste of money.

Would anyone know of Audio / screen replacements that integrate OS well and are ... more of a "life-time map updates"?

Thank you

PS - The funny thing is my Lexus dealer recommended that I go here an post this question, so I do appreciate their honesty.
Old 01-27-15, 11:29 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Lexus is right. You cannot expect 2014 technology to work flawlessly on a 2007 system unless you have some kind of aftermarket support.

2. There is absolutely no reason to keep updating the maps just for the sake of getting the new version. If there is not new development in your area and you do not live in the middle of nowhere the maps usually are quite accurate. The nav from my original 2002 GS is still working perfectly fine. I use my phone in the event things are missing.

Not sure about your siri and contact problem but this is probably the closest thing to a solution you have. Its $400 and can be found @ http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-i.php However, it will also eventually discontinue support for new phone OS versions.
Old 01-29-15, 12:06 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Do you want to replace the entire audio system or just use a better head unit? That sounds like what you need based on your complaints. In fact none of your complaints are about the sound, only the features.

One of the few threads I have ever started on this site covers changing the head unit, replacing the front speakers and adding a real sub. All I need to do is replace the rear door speakers and bypass the factory amp with an aftermarket model and the entire audio system will be replaced.
Old 02-02-15, 07:17 AM
tocjonah
Driver School Candidate

Robert_J

Really, the sound is more than adequate.

I am looking for seamless iPhone integration ... which should include maps.

If I could get iPhone integration with Garmin's navigation brain, I would be ecstatic.
Old 06-25-16, 03:45 PM
meyst
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is waaaay late, but I just ran across this recommendation from another member. I figured I would post so that if someone else stumbles across this old thread, this might help them.

USASPEC BT45-TOY

(just google it)
Old 06-25-16, 09:46 PM
jfall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tocjonah
Robert_J
If I could get iPhone integration with Garmin's navigation brain, I would be ecstatic.
You are asking wayyyyyyyyy too much with that request.

Anyways as far as the nav update goes at least you should have gen 5 hardware and you should be able to just buy an updated DVD and pop it. Was googling this the other day and looks like the new 2016 DVD was like 20 bucks on ebizzle.
Old 04-06-21, 06:27 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully, some people are still monitoring.

My Son is getting a 2008 ES350, looking to use his iPhone. I know there are some Bluetooth upgrades available. I have used GTA, and see a couple of other options.

Has anyone seen this particular 2008 Lexus ES350 audio system replacement? It is the full dash audio system. 12" screen. Seems pretty cool. But ut is a bit more expensive than the $130-160 BT add on kit.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pro...smart_campaign

Does anyone have experience or information on it?

Old 04-06-21, 07:10 AM
meyst
Rookie

Originally Posted by clarence88
Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully, some people are still monitoring.

My Son is getting a 2008 ES350, looking to use his iPhone. I know there are some Bluetooth upgrades available. I have used GTA, and see a couple of other options.

Has anyone seen this particular 2008 Lexus ES350 audio system replacement? It is the full dash audio system. 12" screen. Seems pretty cool. But ut is a bit more expensive than the $130-160 BT add on kit.

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pro...smart_campaign

Does anyone have experience or information on it?
I don't personally have any information on this unit, but, from the description and the couple of reviews, it seems to be well worth the money. I can't overstate strongly enough how much work is involved to switch out from the stock radio. I am a bit of a madman and switched out from the upgraded stock unit (with the screen and environmental controls) to put in a double-din aftermarket stereo. The amount of work was ridiculous. I literally rewired at least 8 wiring harnesses consisting of 6-20 wires each. That required a ton of research, subscription to Toyota Information Services (TIS), and no less than several full days of work. I estimate that if you took it to an car audio store it would cost upwards of $1000 just for labor (if they would even do it at all!). This seems to be a pretty straight-foward near drop-in replacement -- no rewiring wiring harnesses and such. And, realistically, you would end up paying $200 for a cheap Chinese Android head unit, $30 for a trim kit, $30 for a rear camera, $30 in miscellaneous components, $15 for TIS subscription, so you're looking at a minimum of $300 even if you do everything yourself. It WELL WORTH the extra $358 to avoid all the labor and headache.
The following users liked this post:
clarence88 (04-06-21)
Old 04-06-21, 08:12 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by meyst
I don't personally have any information on this unit, but, from the description and the couple of reviews, it seems to be well worth the money. I can't overstate strongly enough how much work is involved to switch out from the stock radio. I am a bit of a madman and switched out from the upgraded stock unit (with the screen and environmental controls) to put in a double-din aftermarket stereo. The amount of work was ridiculous. I literally rewired at least 8 wiring harnesses consisting of 6-20 wires each. That required a ton of research, subscription to Toyota Information Services (TIS), and no less than several full days of work. I estimate that if you took it to an car audio store it would cost upwards of $1000 just for labor (if they would even do it at all!). This seems to be a pretty straight-foward near drop-in replacement -- no rewiring wiring harnesses and such. And, realistically, you would end up paying $200 for a cheap Chinese Android head unit, $30 for a trim kit, $30 for a rear camera, $30 in miscellaneous components, $15 for TIS subscription, so you're looking at a minimum of $300 even if you do everything yourself. It WELL WORTH the extra $358 to avoid all the labor and headache.
Wow, that is some amazing information. I would probably just pay someone at a local Audio place to install it as well. Any car this old is not just coming apart easily.

The ES350 my son is getting has the factory GPS w/o Mark Levin Stereo. Does that make a difference on this unit? Seems that anything with Factory GPS causes more issues.

Thanks again for your amzing feedback. Glad I can benefit from your pain and suffering
Old 04-06-21, 08:38 AM
meyst
Rookie

My 2007 (same as your 2008) was also equipped with GPS and non-Levinson audio. I also had to find a downgraded control unit (like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-ES350...gAAOSwn~5fU0tT) and then add a 2-dim trim kit (like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-...4AAOSwISNbh5TK). Obviously, the former is getting harder and harder to find. So, I should have factored those costs in also -- that's easily another $150 or so. Sure makes the "drop-in" unit from Phoenix look better and better!

Also, I should mention, that I replaced all the speakers and the amplifier. The amplifier is located in the trunk wall on the passenger's side. It's completely proprietary, no way will you be able to reuse any part of it -- you will also have to run new wire to the trunk for any aftermarket amp as the wire they used is only good for maybe a 50W amp. New power/ground wire and associated hardware is another $60 at least. Replacing the speakers is no harder than speaker replacements on just about any vehicle. I went with JBLs for everything and am in love with JBL now. 6x9s in the front doors, 6.5" speakers in the rear doors. The dash board tweets in the corner will just take some work. The rear-deck mounted subwoofer is garbage and is a complete pain to remove. I put in a box in the trunk with two 10" subs. I also dead-matted the entire trunk and doors. It was a ton of work, but it is definitely one of the best audio systems I've heard. It easily spanks my wife's brand new 2021 Toyota Venza top-of-the-line audio system.
Old 04-22-21, 11:23 AM
overclock
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put JL Audio C2 speakers and a JL Audio 10" sub in my car and OMG they sound awesome. I rode in my girlfriend's 2019 Honda Civic and my stock Lexus stereo sounded worse than the stock Honda stereo. But the JL Audio C2 speakers blow everything I've ever heard away.

meyst is correct about the stock Lexus amp. It is garbage. I put in a new head unit and the stock amp couldn't handle the extra power from the new head unit. So then I had to have a new amp put in. So worth it. I miss listening to my stereo on my commute to and from work since I've been working from home for the past year due to covid.