Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 10:46 PM
olsker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal?

Hi all,

Finally got some good financing (just say no to crap one) and am ready to fire at a new (to me) Lexus. After much financial/budgeting consideration it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a couple of years on the LS. Good news is, I really like the ES too!

Here's deal in question. For $18k I get the following:

2008 ES 350 w/ 30k miles
Black with beige interior
These are the options I know of: Navigation, back-up camera, parking sensors, rear window shade, heated and cooled front seats.
Tires look relatively new but there's some scrapes on the wheels (normal curb-hugging bs)
Rest of the vehicle looks really clean but the front two windows make a weird buzzing sound when rolling up, though they appear to roll up quickly.

This might sound stupid but the leather on the doors feels REALLY soft. Is it possible this is an upgrade as well?

Any way, thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

olsk

P.S. If there's a thread anyone could point me to that discuses the woes ES owners have experienced most frequently, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-26-15, 01:14 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 847 Likes on 644 Posts

The leather on the doors is soft so that's normal.
The mileage is just perfect but I think it is a little bit too old for 18000. It should be in mint condition.
Old 01-26-15, 01:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The ES350 has leather seating surfaces, so the material on the doors etc. is vinyl.
Old 01-26-15, 06:43 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The "buzzing" noise when using the front windows may be a sign that the tabs are about to go bad. OEM glass for LEXUS is quite expensive due to special noise absorption layers and water repellant coatings. Search the archives for more information regarding the window tabs.

The windows should roll up and down quickly and smoothly without any unusual noises.
Old 01-26-15, 06:57 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, to be clear, the seats are not "cooled". They are ventilated. Don't expect a lot of cooling from the seats.
Old 01-26-15, 10:26 PM
olsker
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies. I guess maybe I'll have to do some research on the window tabs.

So 18k seems a bit high eh? Is that the consensus of the community?
Old 01-28-15, 01:27 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by olsker
Thank you all for your replies. I guess maybe I'll have to do some research on the window tabs.

So 18k seems a bit high eh? Is that the consensus of the community?
i paid 17999 in Feb of 2013 for my. 07 with just around the same miles.
i think that 16 or 17 would have been a more fair price
so i would say that now 16 or 17 on a 08 would be a more fair price.
Old 01-29-15, 09:37 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

Finally got some good financing (just say no to crap one) and am ready to fire at a new (to me) Lexus. After much financial/budgeting consideration it looks like I'm going to have to wait for a couple of years on the LS. Good news is, I really like the ES too!

Here's deal in question. For $18k I get the following:

2008 ES 350 w/ 30k miles
Black with beige interior
These are the options I know of: Navigation, back-up camera, parking sensors, rear window shade, heated and cooled front seats.
Tires look relatively new but there's some scrapes on the wheels (normal curb-hugging bs)
Rest of the vehicle looks really clean but the front two windows make a weird buzzing sound when rolling up, though they appear to roll up quickly.

This might sound stupid but the leather on the doors feels REALLY soft. Is it possible this is an upgrade as well?

Any way, thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

olsk

P.S. If there's a thread anyone could point me to that discuses the woes ES owners have experienced most frequently, I'd really appreciate it.
If you haven't purchased the car yet, I want you to call your Sales person to schedule an appointment, walk in an hour earlier, tell him/her to grab their Manager. When he/she comes out, stand up, smile, firm handshake, and tell him you have been doing a "lot of research" and offer him $16,750 also (tell him you are comfortable with this number).

When you offer him this number, I want you to pull out your credit/debit card and put it on the table and tell him "I will sign right now at this number, but if you can'tI understand and will have to go as I have two other dealerships to visit today" the entire time you will be smiling (do NOT be a jerk) and looking him dead in the eye.
Old 01-30-15, 07:12 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexman83
If you haven't purchased the car yet, I want you to call your Sales person to schedule an appointment, walk in an hour earlier, tell him/her to grab their Manager. When he/she comes out, stand up, smile, firm handshake, and tell him you have been doing a "lot of research" and offer him $16,750 also (tell him you are comfortable with this number).

When you offer him this number, I want you to pull out your credit/debit card and put it on the table and tell him "I will sign right now at this number, but if you can'tI understand and will have to go as I have two other dealerships to visit today" the entire time you will be smiling (do NOT be a jerk) and looking him dead in the eye.
another thing to add is go in before the 1st of the month and do this.
it could make it a stronger case for you because they want to push one last car out to have on there books before the new month starts.
Old 01-30-15, 11:43 PM
olsker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

To be clear, I'm purchasing the vehicle from an individual--though I do like the tactics discussed above. I squared the deal at just under 18k. This may be a little high but I've searched high and low and haven't found anything better--truth is this is better by long shot. These cars are in abundance in California but it looks like we pay a premium for them for some reason.

In any case, I pick the car up tomorrow morning and then we go straight to the detail shop. Wish me luck!
Old 02-01-15, 08:52 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

You're seeing the situation for what it is. It's what's available in your local market and you're ready to buy now. That seems very reasonable to me. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 02-04-15, 09:14 PM
olsker
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again to everyone for responding.

I'm happy to announce, after two trips to the DMV, a five hour detailing and $18k, I finally have my very first Lexus! Is it perfect? No. But it is awesome! With only 30k miles the thing drives like a dream. It may sound silly but I'm loving all the little things the most (e.g. the side mirrors tilting down when I'm in reverse, the dome light/side mirrors lighting up as I approach the vehicle, not having to press a button to unlock it etc.) I'm sure at some point the novelty will wear off but for now, I'm loving life. Now, if only I could convince my girlfriend to let me buy an LS...

-olsk
Old 02-08-15, 01:05 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

I'm happy to announce, after two trips to the DMV, a five hour detailing and $18k, I finally have my very first Lexus! Is it perfect? No. But it is awesome! With only 30k miles the thing drives like a dream. It may sound silly but I'm loving all the little things the most (e.g. the side mirrors tilting down when I'm in reverse, the dome light/side mirrors lighting up as I approach the vehicle, not having to press a button to unlock it etc.) I'm sure at some point the novelty will wear off but for now, I'm loving life. Now, if only I could convince my girlfriend to let me buy an LS...

-olsk
I'm happy for you buddy. Those are the same feelings I get when I approach my car that I purchased used.
Old 02-09-15, 01:54 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

-olsk
Congrats! I thought you were dealing with a dealership and not a private sale (different set of rules there). Seems like you got the baby you wanted and that's what really matters. Also with only 30K on it, you've got some great years ahead of you in it enjoy!