Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Yes but you still have the rubber one
Old 01-24-15, 02:48 PM
Paul3637
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default VIN tracking system did not work ... thus the new recall

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's interesting that this campaign was extended. I wonder if too few owners were having it done when the original one came out? My '07 was done in early January '10 just after I traded it in on a 2010. Nothing was issued during the time I had the '10.
Lexus & Toyota are stiill paying for new engines when these oil lines fail and the enigne runs out of oil .... even when cars are past warranty. As it turns out, their VIN tracking systems were off and many affected vehicles were not put on the recall list. All 3.5L V6 enignes manufactured prior to April 2008 had this issue. The all metal oil line was the manufacturing fix after that date. For the recall, they installed a much higher grade rubber hose. While many dealers would use the all metal oil line for the recall if the customer paid extra, most dealers would only follow the rubber replacement procedure even though the all metal version would fit perfectly.
Old 01-25-15, 07:55 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The VVT-i hose is an important one. You should research to see if its been done.
Lexbob2. What exactly is the VVT-i hose? Feedback please. Thanks!
Old 01-26-15, 03:09 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Lexbob2. What exactly is the VVT-i hose? Feedback please. Thanks!
This was the worst mental midget example of a chain being no stronger than its weakest link ever in modern automotive history. An external engine oil line made out of weak rubber not designed for hot engine oil under high pressure.

Even Chrysler could not match this much massive incompetence. The cover up was worse than the crime itself. Then the udder bizarre failure of the Toyota/Lexus VIN tracking system combined with an out of touch dealer network made for a truly remarkable event. The recall notice was not called a recall and did not explain the problem correctly in the USA .... although the Canadian version of the recall notice DID tell of the potential engine damage and explained the urgency of the issue. The Toyota morons called the recall a "campaign" which fits nether the Webster dictionary definition nor the blacks law dictionary definition of a campaign.

Toyota/Lexus pays up when threatened by lawsuit.

https://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

Go here and see post #215:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ailure-15.html

This problem showed up first in the model year 2005 Avalon when the engine was introduced in 2004. And to top it off ..... in the day of the self driving car, how in the world does an engine run out of oil without any low oil or other warning light coming on ???????? When the oil line ruptures or bursts rather than springing a leak ....... the engine seizes in a matter of minutes when it runs out of oil.

Last edited by Paul3637; 01-26-15 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 06:07 PM
JoeyBall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B0URNE
can't you just take the car into the nearest Lexus dealer and have the run your vin# ? would they charge you or is that not even an option? I'm asking cause im not sure myself?
Yea. Eventually I will do that. When I have other reasons to go to the dealer. The dealer is about 40 miles from my home. I'm due for an oil change soon. If I can get a couple things done in one visit, I'm better off. Getting some questions answered here on this forum, at lest I will have some knowledge and the service dept. can't BS me....too much

I don't think the will charge me to run the VIN. They're pretty decent guys. I bought the car at a Lexus dealer. The car was purchased there new in 2007, and traded for a 2014 Lexus. It went from the original owner, then to me.
Old 01-26-15, 06:10 PM
JoeyBall
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Welcome.
I know that there are 3 recalls available:

1. Trunk latch
2. Floor mats/ECU reprogramming
3. VVT-i oil hose

PM me the VIN number and I'll check with Carfax.

P.S. Where you got that car from?
Thank you!
Old 01-26-15, 06:13 PM
JoeyBall
Driver School Candidate

Eventually...I don't they will charge me to run the VIN.
Old 01-29-15, 09:18 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Default Been There

Had this failure happen to me just two weeks ago. Was driving to work, no problem, and then my "LOW OIL PRESSURE" light comes on and beeps once; I go "WTF" and clear it out being that I was a 1/2 mile from my exit and thought it was a glitch (I checked my oil three days before this, full dipstick). Then it came on again and kept flashing and beeping, then my engine started running very high rev situation so I slowed down, put on my flashers, got off the exit, and the 1st gas station I pulled in and immediately cut the engine.

I had it towed to my dealership (Sales Manager for Lexus) and 15 minutes after it gets there the Tech comes and grabs me and says "you have to see this" I walk out back and when I looked at my ES350 on the lift there was oil all over the underside of my car. I was P.O.'d!!! Tech told me it was the hose, the situation with them, and that we had them in stock, told him "go ahead and fix it up, and oh and Mike; take your sweet time this one's getting billed to corporate"
Old 01-29-15, 09:25 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeyBall
Eventually...I don't they will charge me to run the VIN.
Absolute nonsense! Should not even be an option.If those sneaks try to bird-dog you for a VIN check, get the Service Manager involved ASAP; and if he's a vulture too get the General Manager involved, and if that does not work call the Dealer Principle/President of the company! It's dealerships like that, that really give the rest of us a bad name.

You should never be getting charged for a VIN check.
Old 01-29-15, 10:00 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

To the last poster........I don't get this........you're a sales manager for Lexus and you are driving around in a ES350 with something other than the all metal rear bank VVT oil supply line?? Let us know what the final bill is for a new engine!
Old 01-30-15, 04:59 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

I would be afraid to drive it with non all-metal hose.
Old 01-30-15, 04:54 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldgrump
To the last poster........I don't get this........you're a sales manager for Lexus and you are driving around in a ES350 with something other than the all metal rear bank VVT oil supply line?? Let us know what the final bill is for a new engine!
I was just promoted to Floor Manager (Closer) so no demo car yet. Always loved the ES350's since I saw my first one in late 2006. I selected mine straight from the auction and yeah, LOT of work needs to be done to it. The reason I got was I saw a diamond in the rough and since I need a new project after selling my '69 Skylark Custom, I got this.
Old 01-31-15, 04:50 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexman83
Had this failure happen to me just two weeks ago. Was driving to work, no problem, and then my "LOW OIL PRESSURE" light comes on and beeps once; I go "WTF" and clear it out being that I was a 1/2 mile from my exit and thought it was a glitch (I checked my oil three days before this, full dipstick). Then it came on again and kept flashing and beeping, then my engine started running very high rev situation so I slowed down, put on my flashers, got off the exit, and the 1st gas station I pulled in and immediately cut the engine.

I had it towed to my dealership (Sales Manager for Lexus) and 15 minutes after it gets there the Tech comes and grabs me and says "you have to see this" I walk out back and when I looked at my ES350 on the lift there was oil all over the underside of my car. I was P.O.'d!!! Tech told me it was the hose, the situation with them, and that we had them in stock, told him "go ahead and fix it up, and oh and Mike; take your sweet time this one's getting billed to corporate"
Originally Posted by oldgrump
One thing for sure ..... the oil light does not come on until the engine is basically out of oil and you more than likely will have some engine damage ... the question is .. How much?

This appears to be just one more bizarre case of Lexus VIN tracking system not working. All 1.6 million of these manufactured before April 2008 have the problem yet they missed about 5--10% of the affected vehicles. When a Toyota or Lexus goes into the dealer for service, all recalls ... including this so called "campaign," the notification automatically pops up ..... they don't have to look for it IF it is in the VIN tracking system.

Question Lexman83: It appears your "recall" was missed in the first "campaign" (of course you bought it at auction so the orignal owner may have just ignored the recall letter). When you check the VIN history, does your oil line show up as being affected under the second "9LH campaign" shown in post #11 above?

I dealt with one person in New York whose 2007 Camry (purchsed in 2006) engine seized right after the first "campaign" had expired in 2013 at only 40K miles. As it turns out, he had brought the car into the dealer in April of 2010 and told them to do all recalls which is documented on his receipt. When his engine seized, the Dealer and Toyota told him his car was never covered by the recall and "tought luck" you'll have to buy a new engine since his powertrain warranty had expired by virtue of time, not miles.. The car sat idle for almost a year as he prepared to go to court..

Then, in October of 2014 when Toyota apparantly at least tried to fix their VIN tracking mess, ... he gets a recall notice statimg the oil line fix is good until year 2021. Guess what ... complete engine rebuild at no charge courtesy of Toyota..

Last edited by Paul3637; 02-02-15 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling & grammar
Old 01-31-15, 07:14 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Paul3637

One thing for sure ..... the oil light does not come on until the engine is basically out of oil and you more than likely will have some engine damage ... the question is .. How much?

This appears to be just one more bizarre case of Lexus VIN tracking system not working. All 1.6 million of these manufactured before April 2008 have the problem yet they missed about 5--10% of the affected vehicles. When a Toyota or Lexus goes into the dealer for service, all recalls ... including this so called "campaign," the notification automatically pops up ..... they don't have to look for it IF it is in the VIN tracking system.

Question Lexman83: It appears your "recall" was missed in the first "campaign" (of course you bought it at auction so the orignal owner may have just ignored the recall letter). When you check the VIN history, does your oil line show up as being affected under the second "9LH campaign" shown in post #11 above?

I dealt with one person in New York whose 2007 Camry (purchsed in 2006) engine seized right after the first "campaign" had expired in 2013 at only 40K miles. As it turns out, he had brought the car into the dealer in April of 2010 and told them to do all recalls which is documented on his receipt. When his engine seized, the Dealer and Toyota told him his car was never covered by the recall and "tought luck" you'll have to buy a new engine since his powertrain warranty had expired by virtue of time, not miles.. The car sat idle for almost a year as he prepared to go to court..

Then, in October of 2014 when Toyota apparantly at least tried to fix their VIN tracking mess, ... he gets a recall notice statomg the oil line fix is good until year 2021. Guess what ... complete engine rebuild at no charge courtesy of Toyota..
You are absolutely correct Paul. I first checked via VIN check if the recall/bulletin work had been done and was assured that "all recall work has been done" with a print out for my records (even had them take a photo of the gas pedal to be sure accelerator had been done) then a week and half into owning it, this happened.

I am actually dealing with corporate now as to them footing the entire bill for not only my metal line install, but a complete inspection of my engine as well. Also, VIN is not coming up under 9LH campaign I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens next.
Old 02-10-15, 05:49 AM
Paul3637
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexman83
..... I'll keep you guys posted as to what happens next.
Any updates ... since been in the shop for three or four weeks now ?

Quick Reply: 2007 ES350 recall???