ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Unauthorized enrty, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 11:09 AM
MacG2014
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unauthorized enrty, anyone else?

Last night at 11pm a neighbor came home to find a guy going through my ES350 (2007), had the rear door open and started putting stuff back in like he belonged there but my neighbor knew better, and ran him off. He opened my 89 Toyota truck too. Anyway anybody seen these news reports online about a little black box that opens door of wireless entry cars?

If this has happened to you, what did you do? Lexus says there is no way to make the doors work just work with the manual key.

We had break in/stolen car with our Saturn and my wife was feeling very safe with this new to us car but within a month is was broken into without any broken windows and no alarm going off that we know of, she is freaked out.

Is there anyway that the car could have been left unlocked and no alarm set? I seem to recall it locking automatically. Can the fobs be programmed independently for each driver's particulars?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-14, 03:11 PM
chbow
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know (I have a 2007 UL) there is no auto locking on the car. The only time the car locks itself is if it was locked and the doors are manually unlocked without being opened - after around 30 seconds (IIRC) it will relock as it assumes it was unlocked erroneously. Other than that you have to lock it manually.
Old 12-18-14, 03:37 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our keyless cars are now very vulnerable. See below

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-t...l-keyless-cars
Old 12-19-14, 02:30 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you unlock the car and do not open the door it will auto lock. If a door is opened it will not.

Fact of the matter is that if you have a professional theif in your area they are going to steal your stuff. As the old saying goes: locks only keep honest people honest. Dont leave valuables in your car or unlocked in your glove box (might be useless anyways if hes that good.) Park your cars in your garage. And have good neighbors to keep an eye out.

After getting a car broken into I would think you would stop leaving anything of worth in your cars...
Old 12-19-14, 02:42 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

If you don't have a garage then one way to prevent this is to install a battery disconnect switch. You would lose some of the features that stay in memory but if you install the switch in the engine compartment you would open the hood , turn off the battery and lock the doors with the key. A lot of trouble but without a garage it may be the solution.
Old 12-22-14, 03:07 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Originally Posted by xanderES
If you unlock the car and do not open the door it will auto lock. If a door is opened it will not.

Fact of the matter is that if you have a professional theif in your area they are going to steal your stuff. As the old saying goes: locks only keep honest people honest. Dont leave valuables in your car or unlocked in your glove box (might be useless anyways if hes that good.) Park your cars in your garage. And have good neighbors to keep an eye out.

After getting a car broken into I would think you would stop leaving anything of worth in your cars...
That pretty much means anything as they will get in to see what's there as well. For what it is worth somebody came back the nest night and tried to pry open my neighbor;s car and they leave nothing in it. Maybe a gang entry challenge - break into THAT car. Who knows what is in the the criminal mind.
Old 12-23-14, 10:19 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like you are looking for an end all to thieves. Fact of the matter is that there isn't one for professional thieves. There are only deterrents in the hope that they will choose an easier target.

Think buying any vehicle that is determined "safe" or hard to break into is going to help you? I got news for you buddy. Its called a flatbed.

If they want it hard enough they'll get it. Your only chance of getting rid of them is them getting caught in the act, going to jail, and the 3 strike law in CA.
Old 12-26-14, 09:13 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Originally Posted by xanderES
It seems like you are looking for an end all to thieves. Fact of the matter is that there isn't one for professional thieves. There are only deterrents in the hope that they will choose an easier target.

Think buying any vehicle that is determined "safe" or hard to break into is going to help you? I got news for you buddy. Its called a flatbed.

If they want it hard enough they'll get it. Your only chance of getting rid of them is them getting caught in the act, going to jail, and the 3 strike law in CA.
3 strikes? Probably not any more http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/nov/26...strikes-law-c/
Old 12-28-14, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Sounds like there is a great deal of crime going on around you right now. As others have said, if thieves are determined they will break into the car. If you're having regular car break-ins on your street, it's time to take action as a community.
Old 12-28-14, 06:30 PM
MacG2014
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Sounds like there is a great deal of crime going on around you right now. As others have said, if thieves are determined they will break into the car. If you're having regular car break-ins on your street, it's time to take action as a community.
I live in a predominantly Hispanic community who "don't want cause trouble for nobody" fear of retaliation etc. I keep up on it as much as possible but the last time we had our stereo stolen I went around to everybody I saw on our street to tell them to keep alert. In the previous two months I found there had been 13 stereos stolen and only 5 reported. It is what it is.