ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

electrical issue battery light on first then everyone els lights up

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 07:33 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default electrical issue battery light on first then everyone els lights up

so i am out of town in Colorado all shops are closed nothing i can do till morning but worry and panic
hope that its a Alternator issue or the battery because the battery is under warranty the alternator is not but i have a service contract that will cover it but anything els and im SOL probably

im driving to my friends house
and first thing i notice is the Battery light comes on then the air bag light comes on then i see the the VCS or is it VSC warning
then the tail lamp warning light out on then nav screen goes dark then dash starts to blink
if i drive or put my foot on gas things start to power up again i shut the car off and it wont start again
so i jump start it with my box and it starts up

any ideas ?
Old 12-08-14, 08:07 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a dead battery and could be caused by faulty alternator. It might even be a loose connection on the battery.
Old 12-08-14, 08:27 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any chance that the battery terminal is badly corroded?
Quite frankly it could be any of the above three.

A loose ground to the battery or corrosion. The battery could be on its way out even if its the 2nd one depending on the year of your ES.
The alternator might of gone out because it was in constant stress to charge the failing battery.
You could check it fairly easily with a multimeter and checking the amp output of the alternator.without pulling it out.

Without a look and a multimeter I think we're only able to guess at this point.
Old 12-08-14, 08:41 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

the battery was just replaced in June or July when the water pump was replaced they had to replace the battery for a no start issue it was replaced with a New oem battery from the dealer.
also they cleaned the terminals and all that good stuff from what i read in the papperwork from that

thank you
Old 12-08-14, 09:08 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

out of curiosity does anyone know what the price of a alternator would probably cost me at the dealer ?
like i know the alternator alone would probably be like 400 or 450 but what is the actual price for labor ?
is it like 2 3 or 4 hours ?

i am just getting prepared for possible worst case scenario incase it is the alternator and the warranty company tries to pull some bs and say its not covered for some stupid reason what is it that it could cost me
Old 12-09-14, 05:53 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
out of curiosity does anyone know what the price of a alternator would probably cost me at the dealer ?
like i know the alternator alone would probably be like 400 or 450 but what is the actual price for labor ?
is it like 2 3 or 4 hours ?

i am just getting prepared for possible worst case scenario incase it is the alternator and the warranty company tries to pull some bs and say its not covered for some stupid reason what is it that it could cost me
Replacing the alt. shouldn't take more then 2 hrs. Did you check to see if the belt is still on . Usually most of the new cars will not run with battery voltage below 10 volts. Can you check the battery voltage with a meter.
Old 12-09-14, 08:43 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Replacing the alt. shouldn't take more then 2 hrs. Did you check to see if the belt is still on . Usually most of the new cars will not run with battery voltage below 10 volts. Can you check the battery voltage with a meter.
i don't have any of my tools i am not home all of my stuff i have to do anything with is in Florida
i know that the belt and wp where replaced back with 82k on the car now it has 98k its been about 5 months so it's under warranty
i am waiting on aaa to come they are going to test the battery out and if the battery is not the issue then they will take it to the dealer and ill go in with it.

i don't know maybe could it be the stress from harder driving up here ?
like down in Florida we don't have mountains and all that
and ijust drove out to Utah and then drove from utah to Co Denver but i drove through the high rockies and when in utah i had to drive up and down the mountain every day for like a month
and the speed limits driving to co where like 80mph whend ownin fl i never go more than 65 70 could it be the stress and all from the change in driving happens ?

or am i over thinking ?
Old 12-09-14, 10:01 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
i don't have any of my tools i am not home all of my stuff i have to do anything with is in Florida
i know that the belt and wp where replaced back with 82k on the car now it has 98k its been about 5 months so it's under warranty
i am waiting on aaa to come they are going to test the battery out and if the battery is not the issue then they will take it to the dealer and ill go in with it.

i don't know maybe could it be the stress from harder driving up here ?
like down in Florida we don't have mountains and all that
and ijust drove out to Utah and then drove from utah to Co Denver but i drove through the high rockies and when in utah i had to drive up and down the mountain every day for like a month
and the speed limits driving to co where like 80mph whend ownin fl i never go more than 65 70 could it be the stress and all from the change in driving happens ?

or am i over thinking ?
It shouldn't make any difference whether you were going 65 or 80 and up mountains or not. Considering you had no obvious engine trouble like smoke or overheating the important issue would be present battery voltage. When you find that out we can go from there.
Old 12-09-14, 02:07 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

the warranty company approved the alternator which needed to be replaced the dealer put a new battery and and did another test and it is the alternator that is bad

i had the option of a oem lexus part with a 12 month unlimited mile warranty
or the service contract company would send there own part out aftermarket new alternator
and i would have a warranty that would expire so bassicaly i went with the aftermarket part because ill have a 5 years 98k warranty on it since thats when my contract expires
however they are only willing to pay 105 an hour labor and the dealer is charging me 120 and hour labor
soi have to pay the extra 15 and hour out of pocket