ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Sound insulation of ES350

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 11:47 PM
Stealth19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sound insulation of ES350

I was kind of surprised that some parts of ES350 are not insulated as good as I expected. And it is not as quiet as I expected neither( well some parts insulated very well but some seems to need reinforcement, I have my own ideas what to do but I want to ask question first). Is anyone attempted to increase sound insulation and what weak spots in this car?

Last edited by Stealth19; 11-28-14 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-29-14, 07:40 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the opportunity to drive other (rental) cars once every 2-3 months. Usually these are more of the consumer level cars - the last two were a Toyota Corolla and a Chevy Impala (both base models.) The impala was quiet - almost as quiet as the ES, however the handling - even though comfortable, was clearly inferior to the ES. The Corolla - a more common consumer level car in my opinion, was VERY LOUD. Handled better than the ES, but was less comfortable due to a harsher suspension and the noise levels on the freeway.

My wife has an 05 ford freestyle; again, noise on the freeway is clearly louder than the ES. More engine noise comes into the compartment as well.

That being said; I've heard of people putting more deadening material in the doors and on the rear shelf to muffle some noise/rattles. I can't personally attest to whether this does better, but every little bit helps - but keep in mind that there may be a difference, but it may not be as noticable as doing the same actions to a lesser noise dampened car. Cost vs reward.
Old 11-29-14, 12:48 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I pulled the whole dash/interior down to the carpet to sound deaden the car. Unless you're running some serious audio equipment I doubt it most of that deadening would do you any good.

Most of the sounds and squeaks you'll hear are because of the material of the dash/ other plastic parks shrinking/expanding due to the change of weather.

Your best bet for the interior in terms of places that squeak and are easily accessible are the cluster surround, and the shifter. What you do is purchase is thin foam and felt from somewhere like JoAnnes fabric and some E6000 or similar adhesive. Then its just down to whether or not you can take the pieces apart. The shifter surround and the chrome surround above it I found to be particularly squeaky. Its held on by plastic weld so you have to melt/break them to sound deaden it. Other places are like the rear view mirror if its not on tightly enough, I remember some wire sounds from the flip down visor that disappears when you put it all the way up.
I also bought sold some sound deadening adhesive backing material from a local audio shop for insulating wires that worked well also. Make sure its the kind with black adhesive not clear. The clear adhesive sucks.
Old 11-29-14, 06:57 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Does anyone know how to tighten the backrest of the passenger seat? It is giving me some rattles.

Thanks
Old 11-29-14, 07:04 PM
Stealth19
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your answers guys.

To mlacomb. It is interesting cause my previous car was Toyota Corolla 2004. I took that car interior apart and put sound insulation everywhere roof, floor, firewall side, doors, trank, even panels between widows, panels between windshield and doors. Unfortunately I bought Mass Load Vinel and I was not able to seal it properly due to quality of MLV that I bought. So my result was not as good as I expected. But doors were done perfectly (you can feel more quietness) because you don’t have to do any cuts with MLV. Floor results were very disappointing. So now I know better and I will choose Ensolate instead of ridged and not flexible MLV. Ensolate is flexible and you can overlap it without using expensive and rare glue which does not even works.
So to be clear, ES350 is quiet car compear to Corolla. But I just think it is not as quit as it can be with some additional Sound proofing. By the way, I want to improve only 4 doors and trunk area.

To xanderES I am very interested to find info how to open door panels. Do you know where I can find it?
Because one thing I know for sure. We have to not bend anything that was not meant to be bended.
Also my goal is to make car quieter from road noise. I luckily don’t have squeaks of plastic panels. However I have wind noise and road noise a bit and I want to get rid of it.

To iceblast. I don't know it yet.

Last edited by Stealth19; 11-29-14 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-29-14, 07:21 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

My sound insulation: 12" sub
Old 11-29-14, 09:00 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stealth - I believe a forum member (robert_j if I'm correct?) did a full write up somewhere here about removing the panels to install replacement speakers... they basically pop off; most use a plastic clip tool, but if you're handy with a large flat bladed screwdriver you should be able to do it without marring the panels.
Old 11-29-14, 11:30 PM
Stealth19
Driver School Candidate

Thank you mlacomb! I found that thread you are talking about, I think this is it if I am not mistaken.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html
Originally Posted by mlacomb
Stealth - I believe a forum member (robert_j if I'm correct?) did a full write up somewhere here about removing the panels to install replacement speakers... they basically pop off; most use a plastic clip tool, but if you're handy with a large flat bladed screwdriver you should be able to do it without marring the panels.
Old 11-30-14, 01:16 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

I also did a write up for the door removal a couple years back.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ld-thread.html
post#7
read the very bottom of the post to remove that metal piece behind the panel that clips into the door. Then just press the door panel straight on after lining up the push tabs.

If you need anything else let me know, and ill try and recall what/how I did it.
Old 11-30-14, 01:42 AM
xanderES
Intermediate

Let me address some other issues since I didnt read the rest of the replies from other members before posting.
Iceblast the first things I would check is if the bolts on the bottom of the rails are on correctly. Then id check for the seat fan as ive left it on only to hear it annoyingly buzz. Other than those two things physically from the seat I dont know what could be rattling. If its coming from the bottom of the seat I guess you could try and sound deaden the motor wires underneath. If you look at the other thread or PM nevernu im sure he can hook you up with the pdf's.

You know, you'd be surprised that the doors are already partially deadened as well as the whole floor. Major sounds from the rear come from the curtain, seat belt tensioner ball bearings, some of the floating modules attached to the rear deck and some box that is in the dead center towards the very top back to the roof and rear windshield behind the roof liner. Also sqeaks from the rear and front windsheild glass retainer tabs that can be cut off.
If you're looking into the wind issue heres two threads by the same guy and a sort of solution. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-part-2-a.html https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...r-diy-fix.html
I personally found a tsib from the LS and GS that applied to the ES that I had done when I was still under warranty. Its somewhere hidden with my ES paperwork.
Old 11-30-14, 01:15 PM
Stealth19
Driver School Candidate

Thank you I will check you write up and thank you for offering help! If I find something I am not sure of I definitely ask you. I will work on doors in about one month time.
Originally Posted by xanderES
I also did a write up for the door removal a couple years back.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ld-thread.html
post#7
read the very bottom of the post to remove that metal piece behind the panel that clips into the door. Then just press the door panel straight on after lining up the push tabs.

If you need anything else let me know, and ill try and recall what/how I did it.