ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car locks with ignition on and key inside/outisde

Old 11-20-14, 11:55 AM
LexusBK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car locks with ignition on and key inside/outisde

When I go to the car wash I have to deal with the car locking while it's going through the car wash. I have tried keeping the key with me and leaving the key inside and it will still lock. When I go through the car wash I keep the car on and it goes in N. When I keep the key with me we have to open the door with the key that's in the fob and take off a piece of the handle. The time I left the key in the car, it had to be opened with a wire through the window.

How can I stop this from happening?
Old 11-20-14, 07:57 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be able to do it with LPS or the Lexus Personalized Settings. You'll have to inquire about it at your local dealership. There might be information on it (LPS) in the owners manual also.

As far as my experience goes im not sure if you'll be able to do it. When I still had the ES the auto locking was a large annoyance when I wanted to charge my phone as it was dying. The auto lock made me have to sit in my car as I never wanted to use the door handle. A service guy actually broke the tabs on it the one time he tried to show me how to take it off.
Old 11-23-14, 01:02 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On most models, you can turn that off using our mobile app, Carista OBD2. You need an ELM327 Bluetooth device (which is cheap) and you have to pay for the Pro Package in our app ($19.99). In total, way cheaper and easier than going to the dealer once. And our app can be used an unlimited number of times. Check out the links in my signature

In Carista, the relevant settings are called:

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door
YES / NO

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door within…
30 SECONDS / 60 SECONDS / 120 SECONDS

Auto-lock doors when moving
ON / OFF

Lock doors when shifting into gear
ON / OFF
Old 11-23-14, 01:28 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't understand how any of those personalised settings will address the problem, especially "When I keep the key with me we have to open the door with the key that's in the fob and take off a piece of the handle."

I would say none of those symptoms fall under the personalized setting and something is wrong.
Old 11-23-14, 02:19 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nevernu
I don't understand how any of those personalised settings will address the problem, especially "When I keep the key with me we have to open the door with the key that's in the fob and take off a piece of the handle."

I would say none of those symptoms fall under the personalized setting and something is wrong.
Yeah, actually that's a good point. The car should never re-lock automatically after you've opened the driver's door and closed it... (maybe except when the key is inside and the car thinks the driver is inside too because it's moving - such as if the car is rolling through a car wash - but even then, the speed of movement shouldn't be high enough to trigger the auto-lock). And when the key is outside, it definitely shouldn't lock.

OP: do you have an aftermarket alarm by any chance?