ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Trac & VCS System malfuncion warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-14, 01:20 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac & VCS System malfuncion warning

Recently, here in Houston, I checked the air in the tires on my 2008 350 ES with an outside temperature of around 40 degrees. Pressure gage read 25 lbs. I decided to add pressure to bring up to 30 lbs. Subsequently while driving, the Trac & VCS System malfunction warning symbol came on (the picture of a car with wavy lines behind the tires). Of course, the warning symbol of a red triangle with an exclamation symbol in the middle as well as a check engine light also came on.

I figured that the problem was that the combination of cold weather (for Houston) and the added air pressure resulted in the system interpretation of an increased skid or lack of control situation. So I let some air out to where the pressure in each tire is 27 lbs. Then I drove it 5 miles or so at speeds up to 50 mph. Made no difference. Warning symbols still there.

What do you think I should do?
Old 11-15-14, 06:41 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Low tire pressure sensing equipment won't cause a check engine condition that I have had experience of. My wife took the first really cold trip in my 08 and came back alarmed that the TPMS warning light came on (no other lights). Turned out to be the spare tire that I never checked after purchasing the vehicle.
Old 11-16-14, 02:18 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Based on your reply, I checked my spare tire which has never been touched other than to check the air. It had 31 lbs in it. I let a few pounds out since it has held pressure so well for so long. I've always been of the school, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially if you have to pay to fix it. Since the codes seemed to have appeared for no reason, maybe they will disappear the same way. What do you think. I hate to take it to the dealer and be told for too much money there is no problem, just needed a tweak in the computer. On the other hand maybe anytime the check engine light comes on for any reason whatsoever, you should have it checked out.

Last edited by sf3r8z; 11-16-14 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 06:56 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine fuel metering and control, and the emissions monitoring system faults (and the associated warning lights) are usually genuine. DO NOT ignore them. Particularly important if the Engine Check light flashes. Get the system scanned by a knowledgeable person with a scantool. The Trac and Skid lights have more than likely illuminated because the ECM has disabled both those systems because the ECM has set one or more engine fault codes. The TPMS light coming on (solid) is what indicates a tire pressure issue and should not normally trigger any other warnings. Were there any warnings/notifications in the gage cluster multi-information display when the warning lights illuminated? Checked the coolant level recently?
Old 11-17-14, 10:33 AM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Only symbols were the check engine, red triangle w/exclamation and the symbol of the skidding car (vsc & tracking). I thought that when the check engine light came on, the computer indicated all the specific problems involved.. If there were more serious issues than vsc and tracking, I would have thought each would be indicated. Not sure what you mean by gage cluster information display but I didn't notice any other symbols or messages than the ones I mentioned. And no, the check engine light was not flashing.

Given that, if I take it to the dealer to have it checked out, what are the odds that I will be glad I did? Of course at this point, that is exactly what I have to do.
Old 11-17-14, 11:40 AM
johncoby
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Happened to me also!

Check VSC light is on.
check engine light is on.
Anti Skid light is on.

Taking it to the shop for another problem but will ask them to look.
Old 11-17-14, 12:28 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

I rechecked my gas cap and found that although it could not be tightened any more it could be unscrewed real easy. Bought another and it is definitely tight. No change however over a short distance. Will see what happens with longer drive.

Another problem recently encountered is that the pressurized struts that are supposed to hold up my hood no longer do so. Is this common after 6 or 7 years?
Old 11-17-14, 10:41 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The multi-information display is at the top center of the gage cluster. Used to give basic info, but will also display certain warning messages associated with some illuminated warning lights along with an illuminated master warning light. The list of engine operating faults (Pxxx faults) alone and including those where the ECM illuminates warning and/or the Engine Check light/s is as long as your arm. There is also a bunch more that are associated with other systems other than the engine. There is no way to have most of them trigger a warning light and/or a message in the gage cluster. These codes and their description/meaning would be meaningless to the average driver anyway. Thus......the scantool, along with a knowledgeable person for troubleshooting.

Loss of gas (old age) and cold winter temps can cause "weak" hood struts. My four year old Lexus hood struts are still OK at about 30 deg. F but my Focus rear hatch struts are basically doing nothing right now.
Old 11-18-14, 01:22 PM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Since I've had this car since 5/2008, it has experienced more than a few days under freezing, so I don't see how that is the problem with the hood supports. It's got to be loss of gas. I assume they have to be replaced.

On the vcs and trac problem I had Autozone scan the computer and they came up with the following: (1) PO441 EVAP SYSTEM INCORRECT PURGE FLOW: probable cause (a) block vapor canister (b) vent solenoid malfunction (c) purge solenoid malfunction (2) PO455 EVAP SYSTEM GROSS LEAK DETECTED: (a) Failed vent solenoid (b) Loose/missing fuel cap (c) Purge solenoid malfunction (d) EVAP hose faulty.

So I replaced the fuel cap with a new one(Autozone) and it screwed on tight and was somewhat difficult to unscrew. I am planning to buy a Lexus replacement when I get around to it. I am assuming that I probably need new hood supports and that the trouble codes and corrective action needed would best be performed by Lexus. S__T!!
Old 11-20-14, 09:33 AM
sf3r8z
Driver School Candidate

Here I am replying to myself but I found out it will cost almost $500 to have lexus replace my hood struts. I think I can do it myself but can I find some quality struts without buying at the dealership?