ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Strut replacement - aftermarket preferences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-14, 11:08 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Strut replacement - aftermarket preferences?

Got 60K on my 2008 ES350 Ultra Lux edition. Feels like it rides on a pillow of air compared to my BMW. The car feels like it is going to roll over when I turn are corner or change lanes rapidly, so I'm guessing they are shot. Or is this how this car is meant to drive - like an over weight Cadillac? Just bought the car so have no reference to what it was like new. Was wondering what people are replacing with? Anything stiffer recommended, or are OEM replacements fine for this vehicle?
Old 11-05-14, 04:44 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Your Lexi is just fine. The ride is meant to be cushy and soft especially compared to your BMW. The handling thinking way behind each is very different. If you are looking to make your ES drive like a BMW, then other than getting another BMW, you should look into a GS or IS. Other than that, for ES you'd need to get lower and stiffer springs, shocks, sway bars, bigger and wider wheels and may be then it will come closer to your BMW ride... Oh and there is that matter of understeer and oversteer difference
Old 11-05-14, 10:50 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by igzy
Your Lexi is just fine. The ride is meant to be cushy and soft especially compared to your BMW. The handling thinking way behind each is very different. If you are looking to make your ES drive like a BMW, then other than getting another BMW, you should look into a GS or IS. Other than that, for ES you'd need to get lower and stiffer springs, shocks, sway bars, bigger and wider wheels and may be then it will come closer to your BMW ride... Oh and there is that matter of understeer and oversteer difference
Thanks for input. Not looking for BMW ride, but would like more firmness to it. I've replaced OEM struts in the past to get a stiffer ride. Is anyone using anything than OEM compariable struts when they go to replace?