2007 ES350 Heads Up Display

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 07:43 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2007 ES350 Heads Up Display

Title pretty much says it all.

Is there a HUD unit; either from lexus/toyota or aftermarket that is compatible with the 2007 ES350? And if so, is it any good and worth the money?

Does it only work with the existing OBD for speed and similar functions, or can it bluetooth and get NAV info off of my factory system?

Just throwing out questions. I searched the forum for HUD topics, but didn't really find any. I've seen some after markets on ebay, but they don't look like the quality I'm looking for. Plus, I think they only do the basic MPH and OBD info.

Any thoughts? Thanks. Mike
Old 10-19-14, 07:54 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by christcorp
Title pretty much says it all. Is there a HUD unit; either from lexus/toyota or aftermarket that is compatible with the 2007 ES350? And if so, is it any good and worth the money? Does it only work with the existing OBD for speed and similar functions, or can it bluetooth and get NAV info off of my factory system? Just throwing out questions. I searched the forum for HUD topics, but didn't really find any. I've seen some after markets on ebay, but they don't look like the quality I'm looking for. Plus, I think they only do the basic MPH and OBD info. Any thoughts? Thanks. Mike
Only choice is to go aftermarket. Here is one option to consider: https://www.navdy.com/
Old 10-19-14, 08:58 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

I saw advertisements for the navdy. Definitely doesn't look like something I'd be interested in. I'm not sure what part of the car it actually connects to; if any. I know it connects with your phone; which means it's probably using your phone's nav and gps or it's own for speed and such.

I'll have to continue to look for some others. I want something that ties to the car. This way it doesn't matter who is driving; it will be available. I also don't want it trying to compete with my car's bluetooth for making phone calls.

It's probably a great little gadget for the person who has a car without a nav or decent bluetooth phone/stereo. But my lexus is fully decked out. I do appreciate you answering the thread though. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-21-14, 06:05 AM
ntu3012014
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the one that you are looking for?

The HUD only displays basic information, including km/hr (not mph), warning of over-speeding (110Km/hr), doors, and driver-side belt.
I bought one from Taobao (using key words: ES240 and HUD), and had it installed on my 2007 ES350. It works well, and help me more enjoy driving.
Old 10-21-14, 09:40 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

No, that wouldn't be what I'm wanting. I'd want one that at minimum, displays the important information that's on the dash. I'd love one that also tied into my nav system and displayed the road ahead. Even if that used it's own gps/mapping, that would be fine. But something that basically just does your speed isn't worth it for me.
Old 11-18-14, 07:34 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

I've been away for a few days so I couldn't post back, but I had one additional question for anyone who might know something about HUD in the car.

Looking at a number of aftermarket HUD units, I'm trying to determine what the difference between models that say "W01" vs "W02" vs "W03". Are these newer revisions or different types. All the ones I'm looking at purchasing are OBDII connected. But the W01/W02/W03 has me confused.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-14, 08:04 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I just googled it has to do with how big the screen size is. From the quick google search and this website http://blog.obd365.com/2014/06/25/wh...ad-up-display/ it states that W02 has the largest screen 5.5" and w03 has the second 4". Whether this is standardized I have no clue.

Post up a couple of HUD units so the rest of us can see what all this fuss is about! I might also want one an older vehicle with a broken speedo also.
Old 11-20-14, 09:09 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info. I too seem to find that the main difference between w01, w02 and w03 is screen size. But I'm doing more research to see if the w03 while slightly smaller screen size may have more or better features. E.g. on the W02; while it will do Mph and Fahrenheit, the rest of the settings are in metric. And when it powers down and you restart the car, it defaults back to kmph and you have to reset to Mph each time you start. maybe the wo3 is better. We'll see.

Currently, I use my phone an a free HUD app. It works great at night. Daytime is a little difficult to see. But I definitely recommend trying the android or iphone app to get use to the idea. It's pretty cool. it only does speed, time, and compass, but it's worth it for free.
Old 11-21-14, 08:31 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Thought there was some new cool HUD piece of technology that was available for consumers. Like the HUD in new mercedes.

Was hoping it was cheaper than the $400 id spend on a used gauge cluster after a speedo motor went out in one of my older cars.
Old 11-21-14, 10:45 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

The majority of the aftermarket hud cost between $50-$100. The price is fine; I'm just not sure about which one to get based on the differences.

Just when I thought the W02 was basically just a larger screen, I find out that there's another one with the same 5.5" large screen. The S5 model. The hardest thing is figuring out the differences.

Some things I've found out besides the screen size:

W03 seems to have VOICE replies to certain functions. Like speeding. (I think)

S5 seems to also do TPMS tire monitoring as well as it alarms if the car starts drifting like if you were dozing off

I think these are some of the things I'm finding. Guess I'll do some more research. For now; I'll continue to use my android phone a apps.
Old 11-22-14, 10:50 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Looked up all the hud displays and it looks like they're all OBD-II. Wont work for my other car (93' ) and my only choice is buying a $400 USED cluster.

When you find a unit that displays all your necessary parameters please link to it in this thread. Im much too lazy to do the research into something that I most likely wont be useful to me. Though id still like to be kept in the loop on the technology.
Old 11-23-14, 01:30 PM
oatmealmcf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntu3012014
Is this the one that you are looking for?

The HUD only displays basic information, including km/hr (not mph), warning of over-speeding (110Km/hr), doors, and driver-side belt.
I bought one from Taobao (using key words: ES240 and HUD), and had it installed on my 2007 ES350. It works well, and help me more enjoy driving.

how do you get this? was it easy to install?
Old 11-24-14, 04:12 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xanderES
Looked up all the hud displays and it looks like they're all OBD-II. Wont work for my other car (93' ) and my only choice is buying a $400 USED cluster.

When you find a unit that displays all your necessary parameters please link to it in this thread. Im much too lazy to do the research into something that I most likely wont be useful to me. Though id still like to be kept in the loop on the technology.
That's not true. There are PLENTY of HUD displays that are GPS controlled. Obviously, if it doesn't physically connect to your car, you won't be able to tell RPM, Water Temp, Tires, etc... But for "Speed" sensing, there are plenty. Just go to Ebay, Amazon, google, etc. and type in "GPS HUD".

There's even one with garmen that mates with your android or iphone to give you not only speed, but can give you navigation too.

If you want one that does more engine functions, I have seen a couple online during my searching. It has a hardwire harness. Different wires for different functions. You basically use the wire connections that you can and need. Can't remember where I saw it; but when I see it again, I'll remember to post it. It was in the same price range as the others. Around $100.
Old 11-25-14, 08:48 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oatmealmcf
how do you get this? was it easy to install?
He literally said where he got it from and how he found it. The install would be as simple as pulling up the vent (most likely the tabs on the bottom of the speaker grill will break) or removing the drivers side vent and pushing the vent from the bottom side, pulling the wires through and either hard wiring it or plugging it into the obd-ii port. Not sure what kind it is.

Christcorp: You know what!? That should of been so obvious as to be another option. Sometimes I forget about the advances in technology in the last decade or so.
I will look into
Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Display Speedometer (quick and easy installation): Automotive Amazon.com: GPS Head-Up Display Speedometer (quick and easy installation): Automotive
this one since its the only one on amazon which returned lots of customer reviews. Its definitely a good alternative. Though I am still going to go to the local pick a part and try to swap a speedo motor from another car first just to see if it'll fix my problem. There's no way id pay $400 for just a used speedometer gauge.
If you see another good option or company during your search please don't hesitate to post it here! These things are quite cool, and I'm sure other people would like them.