ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is the ES350 flashy for work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 12:24 PM
rondocap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the ES350 flashy for work?

Now, I personally feel the ES350 is very understated, and certainly not flashy, but regardless, the majority of the population still see it as a Lexus and expensive.

Drive what you want and don't care - that's only good if you don't need to involve your car with your work. I, for example, do estimates for constructions at homes of various values, so the vehicle I drive can reflect on me.

Do you guys feel the ES350 is still a bit too flashy, and would be better in a lower visibility car such as a Toyota Camry?

This is strictly for those whose vehicle can affect their work and perception of their prices, etc.
Old 10-12-14, 01:09 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

I don't believe it is too flashy. A flashy car would be the ISF but then again, everyone has a different definition of 'flashy.' I believe the ES is a reflection of your value towards a comfortable luxury car. You spend X amount of hours in your car every week, might as well enjoy it. At the end of the day it's all about how you feel with your material possessions. People will judge you no matter what you drive.
Old 10-12-14, 02:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree with recha.

Plus, the ES350 is a conservative mainstream entry level luxury car with a lot of them out there so it shouldn't appear too flashy. Enjoy..
Old 10-12-14, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I personally wouldn't roll up to estimate a construction job at someone's home in a luxury car, even if it is an entry level ES. I think you will raise some eyebrows doing that.
Old 10-12-14, 07:26 PM
rondocap
Driver School Candidate

What would you feel wouldn't raise eyebrows? Just having a pickup truck of some kind, or would a more "normal car" do the trick? Like a Camry, Civic, Jetta, etc.
Old 10-12-14, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Any sort of mainstream vehicle, I would just stay away from luxury Marques.
Old 10-14-14, 12:44 AM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the Lexus emblem and stick a Toyota one on. Lol
Old 10-14-14, 08:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Who cares what others think.

And, an ES is not flashy.
Old 10-14-14, 09:01 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

If my contractor rolled up in a Lexus, the only thought that would come to my mind is what the hell is that dude doing driving a Lex to a construction site?! He's crazy! LOL!

It's definitely a double-edged sword - are you successful because you overcharge or are you successful because of the quality and craftsmanship of your work is great so it's in demand and highly sought after (which translates to decent earnings)? I'd like to think the latter is the case so to hell with what others may think!

Lastly, a Lexus in NY is considered "flashy?" Interesting.
Old 10-14-14, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hypervish
Who cares what others think.
When you do business with customers...you do.

Its not a question of what do his coworkers think, or his neighbors, these are his paying customers. If he drives a vehicle that is going to make his prospects feel like his services are overpriced then thats something he needs to consider. Its the same way in any sort of sales, for years my Dad drove American luxury cars because he did business with labor unions...couldn't drive a foreign car.

Its not that the Lexus is "flashy", it isn't. Thats one of the reasons why I drive a Lexus (I too am in sales), its a high quality luxury car but its not as ostentatious as something flashier. I however am in the real estate business and my clientele fits in with that, and it fits the image of what my clients would expect me to drive and would expect me to be able to afford.

He's a contractor, and not only does the Lexus jump out as odd because its not a truck, it sticks out a brand that projects a certain level of affluence that customers would be surprised to see from a contractor...and would feel they were paying for. I know a lot of contractors, plumbers, HVAC guys etc that make staggering amounts of money...but they don't work out of luxury cars.

I see it all the time, I had a mold inspector roll up in a BMW 535 one time and my clients felt like they were overpaying for that inspection, while I drove a similarly priced car and they didn't feel they were overpaying me.

Do what you want, but I know for a fact driving a Lexus to give estimates for contract work is going to raise eyebrows.
Old 10-15-14, 07:59 AM
rondocap
Driver School Candidate

You raise some very good points, and I feel similarly. Obviously to do my work we have vans and work trucks - but I do the sales part and don't need any tools.

I have to balance driving 4,000 miles a month in traffic and bad roads in the NYC area, with a car that is comfortable and reliable.

While not necessarily fun to drive, the Lexus does always keep me comfortable - and after a long day, that counts for more.

I tried a Ford F150 pickup truck before, too. It was terrible - $100 gas fill ups were done in a day, and the ride was very bad and made me sore. It's good for working, but not for sales.

I am sure the Lexus does raise some eyebrows - the only other option I feel I would have is to get something similar but a step down brand wise, like a Toyota Camry.

Like you said - paying customers can have many influences on their opinions, and I want to make sure I make a good impression while balancing with my personal comfort.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
When you do business with customers...you do.

Its not a question of what do his coworkers think, or his neighbors, these are his paying customers. If he drives a vehicle that is going to make his prospects feel like his services are overpriced then thats something he needs to consider. Its the same way in any sort of sales, for years my Dad drove American luxury cars because he did business with labor unions...couldn't drive a foreign car.

Its not that the Lexus is "flashy", it isn't. Thats one of the reasons why I drive a Lexus (I too am in sales), its a high quality luxury car but its not as ostentatious as something flashier. I however am in the real estate business and my clientele fits in with that, and it fits the image of what my clients would expect me to drive and would expect me to be able to afford.

He's a contractor, and not only does the Lexus jump out as odd because its not a truck, it sticks out a brand that projects a certain level of affluence that customers would be surprised to see from a contractor...and would feel they were paying for. I know a lot of contractors, plumbers, HVAC guys etc that make staggering amounts of money...but they don't work out of luxury cars.

I see it all the time, I had a mold inspector roll up in a BMW 535 one time and my clients felt like they were overpaying for that inspection, while I drove a similarly priced car and they didn't feel they were overpaying me.

Do what you want, but I know for a fact driving a Lexus to give estimates for contract work is going to raise eyebrows.
Old 10-17-14, 08:01 PM
AmongU
Driver School Candidate

I too am in sales. I recently bought a 2008 es350 as I am on the road approx 60k km/yr and was getting tired of travelling in a less comfortable/flashy car.

I have had a few customers comment that business must be good....I then usually comment with the fact it's an old one.

I recently had a contractor do some work on my home & he drove a top of the line totally tripped out pickup. Nice vehicle. What came to mind first was that he must know what he's doing as he is successful enough to drive a nice ride. I didn't feel as if I was being overcharged.

From now on I'm just going to answer my customers with "yes, business is good!"
Old 10-17-14, 08:20 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TJams
If my contractor rolled up in a Lexus, the only thought that would come to my mind is what the hell is that dude doing driving a Lex to a construction site?! He's crazy! LOL!

It's definitely a double-edged sword - are you successful because you overcharge or are you successful because of the quality and craftsmanship of your work is great so it's in demand and highly sought after (which translates to decent earnings)? I'd like to think the latter is the case so to hell with what others may think!
A guy I know who does framing as well as custom homes bought a C-Class for a couple of years all it was destined for was the job sites/customers, then went onto a Escalade hybrid... a cool 120k for that!

Originally Posted by AmongU
I too am in sales. I recently bought a 2008 es350 as I am on the road approx 60k km/yr and was getting tired of travelling in a less comfortable/flashy car.

I have had a few customers comment that business must be good....I then usually comment with the fact it's an old one.

I recently had a contractor do some work on my home & he drove a top of the line totally tripped out pickup. Nice vehicle. What came to mind first was that he must know what he's doing as he is successful enough to drive a nice ride. I didn't feel as if I was being overcharged.

Seriously. Perception is one thing, people get over it.

Being a car guy I know what people drive. The contractors in this city are using F350 Harley Davidsons as job trucks, and Cummins Long Horns to push snow and salt the roads, those alone are over six figures new...

Might as well "look the part" ?
Old 10-20-14, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmongU

I wouldn't cut yourself off, tell them that yes business is good. People like doing business with successful people, the issue is that:

1. You don't want to appear more successful than your customers.
2. You don't want to appear to be overpaid for what you do, because customers will assume that they are paying for that.

Thats the issue with a contractor driving something like a Lexus or Mercedes, vs a truck...even when perhaps the truck might cost more. People don't realize what things cost, they see a modern Lexus...they think its a $70k car...doesn't matter if its a 5 year old ES. People don't realize what pickups cost, and even if they did it seems customary and necessary for his job.

The saying "Look the part" is the issue...he doesn't look the part his customers want him to play. If he rolls up in a Lexus sedan and somebody else rolls up in a $70k King Ranch Ford...the one that is going to raise eyebrows is the 5 year old Lexus, believe it or not.

I'm a very successful salesman, come from a long line of them...take my advice for what its worth.
Old 10-21-14, 07:17 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats why we have the ES350 for my wifes car and when I was a salesman, I drove a new Impala. SS one time and now a LTZ.

Quick Reply: Is the ES350 flashy for work?