ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2008 ES350 - Vibration/Noise when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 01:57 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 ES350 - Vibration/Noise when reversing

Please pardon my thread if it is a repost but I could not find an active thread for my issue.

When I reverse out of my driveway, my car makes a noise. It only happens when it is in reverse and sounds like something may be rubbing against each other. It's not a high pitched squeaking noise but more so just vibrations and a light rubbing noise.

Any ideas?
Old 10-05-14, 06:31 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be the brakes / calipers sticking.

Does it sound like the noise in this video? I think there was a TSB for rear brake noise.

Old 10-05-14, 07:44 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

It doesn't sound like that. I'll try to get some video footage of the car reversing. Thank you.
Old 10-06-14, 07:00 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

UPDATE: Tried recording a video this morning but upon playback, I couldn't hear the noise in my video but I could hear it in the driver seat. Shouldn't be a major issue but I'm going to have my mechanic take a look this week.

I only heard the noise when I stepped on the brakes as I was rolling out of my driveway (at a slight decline).
Old 10-09-14, 07:56 PM
Lexample
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you side mirrors lowering when you put the car in reverse? One of my mirrors rubs a bit and will sometimes makes noise when I put the car in reverse. Of course, if I place the side mirror select switch in the middle, the mirrors don't lower in reverse and I won't hear any rubbing sounds.
Old 10-09-14, 08:08 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes my car will make a noise when first backing out of the carport.. My carport does hold the dampness in the morning and there is condensation on the vehicles.

Once I back out and pull down the drive, I can put it back in reverse and it will no longer do that. It also doesn't make a sound if I've had the car parked in a parking lot and it has cooled off.. Or when warm.

For mine it simply seems to be the first back out if it's high humidity.
Old 10-10-14, 10:14 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default MY backup noise

I hade a similar noise when backing up and assumed that it was the rear brake pads. So I bought a new set of pads to put in. When we got the wheels off, we discovered that there is an underneath, plastic splash guard that was damaged and was rubbing the inside of the tire when backing up. I would take your rear wheels off and check for something like that.
Old 10-10-14, 03:13 PM
recha12d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexample
Are you side mirrors lowering when you put the car in reverse? One of my mirrors rubs a bit and will sometimes makes noise when I put the car in reverse. Of course, if I place the side mirror select switch in the middle, the mirrors don't lower in reverse and I won't hear any rubbing sounds.
Yeah my side mirrors when I reverse but the noise is not from that.

Originally Posted by GrnIdKjun
Sometimes my car will make a noise when first backing out of the carport.. My carport does hold the dampness in the morning and there is condensation on the vehicles.

Once I back out and pull down the drive, I can put it back in reverse and it will no longer do that. It also doesn't make a sound if I've had the car parked in a parking lot and it has cooled off.. Or when warm.

For mine it simply seems to be the first back out if it's high humidity.
I live in Central California and it is the last bit humid now. 85+ degrees currently.

Originally Posted by CompuMan
I hade a similar noise when backing up and assumed that it was the rear brake pads. So I bought a new set of pads to put in. When we got the wheels off, we discovered that there is an underneath, plastic splash guard that was damaged and was rubbing the inside of the tire when backing up. I would take your rear wheels off and check for something like that.
Took my car to the mechanic this morning and they said my brake pads/rotors are all ok. Still got 50-60% pads life left so maybe the noise will go away when I get new pads in the future. Looks like I'll just have to live with this noise in the meantime.
Old 10-17-14, 05:32 PM
AmongU
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CompuMan
+1 on the plastic splash guard. Mine was damaged when I ran over a piece of a truck tire on the hwy. dealer removed it no charge.
Old 01-24-19, 09:40 AM
theberry88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GCL
It could be the brakes / calipers sticking.

Does it sound like the noise in this video? I think there was a TSB for rear brake noise.

Hi GCL,
My car has a similar squeaking noise when put in reverse. Were you find out what's caused it and how to fix them?

Thanks,