ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Michelin Premier 'H' Rated or MXV4 Primacy 'V' Rated?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 12:28 PM
hisgirlwen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Premier 'H' Rated or MXV4 Primacy 'V' Rated?

Greetings!

I've been reading through all of these great threads trying to determine which tires I should get for my 2008 ES350. I can't decide.

I've had the Primacy MXV4 'H' rated tires for several years and I REALLY LOVE them. But! Michelin has discontinued them, as you know.

Here are my options unless you all know of something better?

1) Go to local tire store and have them install the 'H' rated Premier A/S
2) My Lexus dealership says the 'H' rated tires aren't "Lexus Certified" and that they only carry 'V' rated tires and recommend the MXV4 'V' rated. My Lexus dealership doesn't even install/carry 'H' rated.

My concern is that the 'V' rated tires will be stiffer and/or noisier than the H's. I'm interested in a quiet ride but I'm a pretty aggressive driver.

Thanks in advance,
- Wendy
Old 09-05-14, 07:54 AM
jimmy2x
Rookie

Well - when it was time to replace the (crummy) OEM tires, I ordered the ""H" series from Tire Rack and had them installed locally. That was about a year ago. Just noticed last week (the lettering is not so easy to see) that what was actually sent and installed were the "V" series.

I've not noticed any increased noise or stiffer ride. Great tires and I would buy again.
Old 09-05-14, 12:47 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the A/S Premier on my 2011 and they are noisier than the OEM Bridgestones But.... I'm getting used to them.
Old 09-06-14, 12:23 PM
AJ@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Hi Wendy,

Lexus ES350 OE tires were all V rated, but we have been told by Lexus an H rated tire will also suffice.
As you are thinking, an H rated tire will be a tad softer because of the construction levels of the tire.

Noise level will vary by tire.
Old 09-06-14, 03:07 PM
hisgirlwen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4 V rated series installed this morning. Only drove about 5 miles but they seem fine. Thanks!!
Old 09-09-14, 04:35 AM
DHD46
Driver School Candidate

Smile Michelin tires

My OEM tires wore out within 30k and I'm about to drive up to Raleigh and pick up my mother-in-law and, with heavy rains in SC these days, I wanted to be sure to have a safe set of tires on my ES 350 2010. I went to a local tire dealer, Nuttall, where they seem to know their business. First I requested a quote and here is the reply:

"The Primacy 3 is actually not made in this size. They may build it in the future but at this time, they do not. I do have the Michelin Primacy MXV4 available as well as the new Premier A/S if you are interested in one of those. The Primacy MXV4 is going to be the best priced of the two so I will go ahead and quote you on that one. The tires are $159.00 each and to do three installed with sales tax, mounting, balancing, disposal fee, valve stem, and lifetime service will run you right at $781.00. The lifetime service includes us rotating, re-balancing and repairing any flats you might have for the life of the tires at no charge. Michelin is running a $70 mail-in-rebate right now that you can take advantage of and we also have a rewards program that rewards you for purchasing with us and with this purchase you can get up to $30 back on a gift card to come back in our store and use however you would like."

I bought the MXV4s and, if they cost a little more, I'm fine with that, so long as they last longer and serve me well. I've not tested the ride on the freeway, but it seems smooth and quiet around town.
Old 09-15-14, 06:22 AM
DHD46
Driver School Candidate

Default My new MXV4 tires

I put these to the test last week with a drive up to Raleigh and back. I ran into heavy rain on the way back and was very glad not to be traveling on my worn out OEM tires that at 29k were pretty much shot. The ride is noticeable smoother at high speeds, and at slow speeds just taking small bumps in the road is obviously smoother. I know I paid more for these tires than for others, but I'm glad I did.
Old 09-16-14, 07:29 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put my car in for vibration at odd speeds; they found tires are bad (OEMs that they put on the CPO when I purchased nearly 40k ago). They are going to put on mxv4 tires (their standard replacement). I could have another place do it, but I want to make sure of no TPMS issues and have a longer drive coming up in a few weekends; I'll report back on how they work out - but I'm happy to get the OEM treads off of this car.
Old 09-29-14, 04:52 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Ok so here is the thing
the shop is willing to sell me 1 premier H rated for the 100 prorated for my share of the Road Hazard that is including the purchase of a new road hazard program for the new tire.
They are also willing to sell me another premier so i have 2 on the front and not just 1 tire on the axle so that i have 2 matching on the axle they will sell me the 2nd one for 166 after taxes road hazard and all mounting and balancing so 2 tires would cost me 266.00.
Which i am ok with doing that.

The other option is for the 100 prorated amount they will put on a primacy mxv4 v rated tire and all i pay is 100 for the prorated amount.

I am wondering has anyone her compared the V rated Primacy to the Premier do you like it what do you think ?
Money is tight right now i can spend the extra and get both tires but i really if possible would like to avoid it because i am moving to utah end of next month and need every extra penny i have to live on for the first month up their.

so i am wondering what others would do in this situation
the other thing is the reviews i am reading on tire rack is saying that the premier got better ratings for snow driving then the primacy did

the other thing that concerns me about the Premier is the treat depth is lower i think its like 8 32nds or mayb i even read 6 32nd new i am not sure if i read right. But how the hell they rate that tread depth for 60k if the primacy that has 10 32nds i rated for 60k also
Old 09-29-14, 07:11 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is the only thread I've seen where someone has had both tires.. he seems to have issues with the car but..there may be some valid comparison info here that would apply to you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...emier-a-s.html
Old 09-30-14, 04:37 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

At 30K I needed sneakers on all 4 corners.

The dealer suggested NEXEN Classe Premiere 672, they had the same tread pattern as the Michelins and I think they are made by Michelin (could be wrong here). I now have about 8-9K on them including 2 round trips to Asheville, NC ( ~1,100 each way) and I've been very happen with them; no real difference from the Michelins
Old 10-03-14, 04:43 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I ended up going with the 2 premeir H rated the manager gave me one covered on road hazard half the tread paid 114.95 and the other one he sold me outright with discounts and all for 125.00 so really he took care of me he is a nice guy
he also through in lifetime balance and rotation
and road hazard all at no additional cost

the one thing i can't get over is the part about how the premeir has a 60k tread ware warranty and so does the primacy but the primacy has 11 3/2nd tread new and the premeir has 8 3/2 nd tread new
does this bassicaly mean the rubber is harder and thats why the ride is probably a bit more stiff ?
Old 03-05-17, 04:32 PM
drseth
Rookie

Default Michelin Premier H tires are great!!

I noticed my mom's 1997 LS400's tires were over 10 years old and starting to crack, so I had a nearby tire shop order them for her. She wasn't happy about the price, but I told her you don't go to the dance in flip-flops.

I drive the car a couple of days ago, and while the car was great on the old tires, is even better with the Michelin's. A little vibration for a couple of miles, then it was smooth, no tire noise at all!! The car is in my name, too, and I am thinking of keeping it, because it is so smooth and quiet. I told my mom that I don't think the car could be improved on, as far as ride, smoothness and quietness are concerned.
Old 03-09-17, 07:26 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drseth
I noticed my mom's 1997 LS400's tires were over 10 years old and starting to crack, so I had a nearby tire shop order them for her. She wasn't happy about the price, but I told her you don't go to the dance in flip-flops.
You don't say which tires you bought. I'm also needing new tires for my '07, can't decide between the Premiers or the Primacys, the local store can get both. I had Primacy MXV4's on my previous '05 ES and loved them, but they are a lot more expensive. Looks like the Premiers are actually higher rated.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-17, 07:09 PM
drseth
Rookie

Default Michelin Premier H tires are great!!

Originally Posted by KLF
You don't say which tires you bought. I'm also needing new tires for my '07, can't decide between the Premiers or the Primacys, the local store can get both. I had Primacy MXV4's on my previous '05 ES and loved them, but they are a lot more expensive. Looks like the Premiers are actually higher rated.

Thanks!
Hi,

Sorry if I did not specify. They are Michelin Premier H, P225/60R16. I do not plan to exceed 130mph, so H Rating works for me. Hope that helps.