ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Regretting the Michelin Premier A/S

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 12:17 AM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regretting the Michelin Premier A/S

I took a chance on the Michelin Premier A/S H-rated and I am disappointed.

The good: They ride smooth and handle great. Bumps and tar strips result in muted thumps. They exhibited great traction when driving in heavy rains.

The bad:

On worn asphalt, the noise is obnoxious. The ES is supposed to be quiet. I am aware of road noise pretty much from the get go as most of my local roads are worn asphalt of the same era. It is jarring to go from the worn asphalt to newer patched stretches and visa versa. Either the white noise gets turned down to where it should be (newer asphalt) or cranked up to econo-box levels (worn asphalt). I'm talking worn asphalt that is flat (not potholed), but has been down for ~10 years and the smooth original topcoat has worn off. And my econo-box/backup car is a 2007 Focus hatchback with little or no sound proofing. Seriously, the noise level is as bad as driving the Focus on any road and with the Focus, that's including the engine and wind noise with the road noise as you can't tell one from the other.

I bought the ES for a relaxed quiet ride and with this noise, it is not relaxing. The roads are in the 30-45mph range so slower speed and higher noise; yay!

On the highway, I don't notice the road noise as much, though they do "sing" or "hum" on concrete overpasses. I didn't find it to be too loud. Not nearly as obnoxious as the low speed worn asphalt noise.

As I said, it's jarring when you hit a stretch of newer asphalt and the noise goes away to acceptable levels and then when you go from the newer to the old 'Bam' the noise is back. I did not expect to have road noise like this on asphalt roads. Well, really on any roads I've been driving for years without road noise. I've experienced issues with concrete stretches with other cars and other tires, but not asphalt. My old BMW and Saab convertible didn't exhibit this noise driving the same roads. (albeit with different tires). So, it must be the Michelin Premier A/S...

Ugh, if I could have just gotten the H-rated MXV4 locally. Now to decide what to do before my 30 days are up.
Old 08-24-14, 06:11 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought these tires from Sams Club about two months ago. Same thing, a noisy tire on eastern PA roads. Very disappointed in this Michelin product. The possible only redeeming value may be better traction in snow and tread life.
Old 08-24-14, 06:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes,H rated Primacy MXV4's were the way to go.
I've used the MXV4's on two ES350's I owned.Great tire.
Old 08-24-14, 10:02 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BC93
I took a chance on the Michelin Premier A/S H-rated and I am disappointed.

The good: They ride smooth and handle great. Bumps and tar strips result in muted thumps. They exhibited great traction when driving in heavy rains.

The bad:

On worn asphalt, the noise is obnoxious. The ES is supposed to be quiet. I am aware of road noise pretty much from the get go as most of my local roads are worn asphalt of the same era. It is jarring to go from the worn asphalt to newer patched stretches and visa versa. Either the white noise gets turned down to where it should be (newer asphalt) or cranked up to econo-box levels (worn asphalt). I'm talking worn asphalt that is flat (not potholed), but has been down for ~10 years and the smooth original topcoat has worn off. And my econo-box/backup car is a 2007 Focus hatchback with little or no sound proofing. Seriously, the noise level is as bad as driving the Focus on any road and with the Focus, that's including the engine and wind noise with the road noise as you can't tell one from the other.

I bought the ES for a relaxed quiet ride and with this noise, it is not relaxing. The roads are in the 30-45mph range so slower speed and higher noise; yay!

On the highway, I don't notice the road noise as much, though they do "sing" or "hum" on concrete overpasses. I didn't find it to be too loud. Not nearly as obnoxious as the low speed worn asphalt noise.

As I said, it's jarring when you hit a stretch of newer asphalt and the noise goes away to acceptable levels and then when you go from the newer to the old 'Bam' the noise is back. I did not expect to have road noise like this on asphalt roads. Well, really on any roads I've been driving for years without road noise. I've experienced issues with concrete stretches with other cars and other tires, but not asphalt. My old BMW and Saab convertible didn't exhibit this noise driving the same roads. (albeit with different tires). So, it must be the Michelin Premier A/S...

Ugh, if I could have just gotten the H-rated MXV4 locally. Now to decide what to do before my 30 days are up.
they should have been able to or they should be able to order you the Primacy MXV4 they still make them have not be discontinued like Michelin usually did when they came out with a replacement
Old 08-24-14, 08:31 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
they should have been able to or they should be able to order you the Primacy MXV4 they still make them have not be discontinued like Michelin usually did when they came out with a replacement
I might be able to get the MXV4 V-rated still, but I know the H-rated is not available. I was worried the V might not perform the same.

Garsarno: I'm sorry to hear you're suffering the same. Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm relieved to learn that I'm not the only one.
Old 08-25-14, 08:23 AM
unklexus
Rookie

I've got the MXV4's h rating and over coarse coarse concrete or graveled asphalt you have to turn up the radio and/or talk a lot louder because the road roar is very loud, and the singing on grooved concrete is pretty loud also to me. So not sure if a tire switch is going to make that much difference.

Smooth new asphalt and the car is nearly dead silent aside from very minor whiffling wind noise. Maybe Japan only uses smooth surfaces on their streets?
Old 08-26-14, 04:42 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

When my 2007 ES350 wore out the OEM Michelins in about 19000 miles, the Michelin dealer, with blessings from Michelin replaced all of the tires for about $400 (as I remember). But his comment stayed with me: Lexus specifies a soft tire as OEM to give their cars a buttery smooth ride.
Old 08-26-14, 06:54 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

There seems to be pros and cons here and at this point I am not sure which tire is winning. I have to make the selection in a few months as my OEM Bridgestones are almost used up at 30,000 miles. Based on their performance and ride I may just put on another set of them.
Old 08-26-14, 07:36 PM
GrnIdKjun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello.. New here.. just purchased my CPO this month.
I've been reading up on tires as well, what about the Michelin mxM4 - h rated?.
They are supposed to be a softer ride.. about 45k mile rated.
Old 08-27-14, 06:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Presently I have a ES350 loaner with MXV4's and the ride is butter smooth.
The following users liked this post:
beaumont (02-27-20)
Old 08-27-14, 10:37 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GrnIdKjun
Hello.. New here.. just purchased my CPO this month.
I've been reading up on tires as well, what about the Michelin mxM4 - h rated?.
They are supposed to be a softer ride.. about 45k mile rated.
Originally Posted by Joeb427
Presently I have a ES350 loaner with MXV4's and the ride is butter smooth.
GrnldKjun- It doesn't look like there's an H-rated MXM4 for the ES, at least on TireRack. Running forum search and light Google searching, it sounds like the MXM4 is a little noisier than the MXV4 and doesn't have a long tread life. I've seen complaints of 25-35k on tread life. As far as whether it's softer riding, I'd think that it being sold as "more responsive" would indicate more aggressive than the MXV4 so firmer sidewall softer tread.

I think the Premiers ride nicely - smooth. Though, I don't know if I'd call it buttery. Pretty close though. I'm just so annoyed/distracted with the road noise that I can't really enjoy the ride to come up with a firm decision. Thing that gets me is that they mute bumps and tar strips well. It's just the road noise of the tread rolling over the pavement.

unklexus: Maybe you're right and the Premier is the same as the MXV4 overall, and my ears are wrong about the Premiers and my sense memory wrong about previous ES test drives. But, I know I'm not wrong about my old BMW and Saab and the noise level being equivalent to my Focus over the same roads. I've honestly contemplated hanging around parking lots and waiting for the owners when I've seen an ES with MKV4s on to ask for a quick test ride.

With the stereo volume at 25-30, I still hear the white noise. It doesn't get overwhelmed until the volume is at 36-40+, but I don't always want to listen to the stereo cranked. Regardless, my ears seem to always be aware of it. I think it's something to do with the frequency of the noise. If I hit a bad stretch of coarse pavement, the white noise envelopes the interior no matter how loud the stereo is. Interestingly, I drove on some scarified pavement at 30mph yesterday and the road noise was low - weird.

Well, as they say, it's all subjective... The tire place says it "has to ensure" that there isn't something else wrong with my car, like a wheel bearing, before they will discuss tire options, so Friday I will go in and have it looked at and discuss "options". They think I'm nuts.
Old 08-28-14, 05:36 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Just had mine out on the main highway and it is louder than my 2011 Impala with Continental tires.
Old 08-28-14, 09:20 PM
ATXman
Driver School Candidate

Default Yokohama YK580 performance tires are better than the Michelins

I was due for 4 new tires and was warned about the noise issues with the Michelins. I went with Yokohama YK580 performance tires on my 17 inch rims and they are quite, comfortable and have the handling when necessary. It was nice to get out for less than $475 for 4 tires with lifetime balance and warranty as well.
Old 09-03-14, 08:06 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Well, got a set of V-rated MXV4 installed. I find them equal to the H-rated Premier A/S in ride and handling, but they appear quieter than the Premier. These are my preliminary impressions. I can't give a final verdict yet, because there's a highway speed balance or out of round issue that needs to be addressed. Everything was fine until I hit 60mph and the steering shimmied and then 70mph the whole car started vibrating.

I can't say the MXV4 are a great deal quieter. I think most would likely say the MXV4 and Premier are the same; certainly awfully close. But, to my ears, the low speed (up to 45mph) noise level or at least the frequency/pitch of the road noise is better/less aggravating with the MXV4.

It's a little quieter, but more important, the volume of the noise seems to remain flatter regardless of road condition. The MXV4 is quieter on coarser roads where the Premier roared. The MXV4 road noise changes pitch, but it doesn't seem to get louder; whereas the Premiers changed pitch and got louder intruding into the cabin. Plus, there was just something in the Premier road noise frequency itself that just drove my ears nuts

On the highway, the MXV4 seems quieter, but the high speed shimmy kept me a little distracted. Regardless, the highway noise volume appeared acceptable and remained flat also. The tires did wander a little, but again, with the shimmy I can't really say for sure. When the shimmy is fixed I'll take another run.

They aren't silent, but I can live with the MXV4 if they get them balanced correctly. Hopefully, I don't get stuck with a set of tires that can't stay balanced. The tires were made in January 2014, so they've been sitting for a while.

Anybody know if a brand new MXV4 should have little nubs/whiskers on the face of the tread or not? The Premiers and the Turanza EL400 had them, but my MXV4s don't. Wondering if they installed a slightly used set of tires.
Old 09-08-14, 11:09 PM
BC93
Driver School Candidate

Well, they found one wheel had tossed a weight. Thought problems were solved, but...

At 60+, the V-rated MXV4 still shimmy/send vibrations into the cabin and steering wheel but only over certain pavement imperfections. There's a stretch of highway where my steering wheel shimmies like the wheel weight fell off again, but then it clears up. I guess it's the stiffer sidewalls.

The V-rated MXV4 are also pulling left on the highways which requires constant correction. Alignment has been checked and is good.

In hindsight, I would take the noise of the Premier A/S over the MXV4 V-rated ride and driving characteristics.

So, my final verdict (not that anyone cares) is that the Premier A/S H-rated is the better tire overall between the two.

Quick Reply: Regretting the Michelin Premier A/S