Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 (2007 - 2012)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Amplifier Remote Wire Locations?

Old 07-08-14, 11:20 AM   #1
MekDiesel
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Amplifier Remote Wire Locations?

For everyone that has hooked up aftermarket amplifiers to the stock system, what source did you tap into for the remote wire? I know many people have tapped into the fuse box, others the cigarette lighter wire, and some people have even found wires in the trunk to tap into. I'm curious as to what route people took and why, because I'm looking to move away from the remote turn-on feature of the LC2i.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
MekDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 03:07 PM   #2
mlacomb
Pole Position

I used a wire that controls power on to the amp in the trunk location. I used pinouts from a schematic for the amp wiring layout; if I can find it again in my documents I'll post it. The only thing I had to run from the front of the car was the 4ga wire for my sub amp and LC2i.
mlacomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 07:33 PM   #3
RTSM
Driver

I removed the cigarette lighter and installed a switch using the cigarette lighter power. Works great, no noise, well conceal to keep the stock look easy to access and simple to remove if I ever sell. See the attached. Btw, I'm using the Lc2i and a Rockford fosgate amp with dual JL's. At first I didn't want the switch but I'm glad I installed it, I'm also glad I purchased the JL woofer grills with all of the kids gear being thrown into the trunk. Take a look at the attached pics (sorry for the crappy photos).
Attached Images

RTSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 08:33 PM   #4
MekDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlacomb View Post
I used a wire that controls power on to the amp in the trunk location. I used pinouts from a schematic for the amp wiring layout; if I can find it again in my documents I'll post it. The only thing I had to run from the front of the car was the 4ga wire for my sub amp and LC2i.
This schematic?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Lexus ES350 Wiring Diagram (Color).pdf (235.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-08-14, 08:36 PM   #5
MekDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTSM View Post
I removed the cigarette lighter and installed a switch using the cigarette lighter power. Works great, no noise, well conceal to keep the stock look easy to access and simple to remove if I ever sell. See the attached. Btw, I'm using the Lc2i and a Rockford fosgate amp with dual JL's. At first I didn't want the switch but I'm glad I installed it, I'm also glad I purchased the JL woofer grills with all of the kids gear being thrown into the trunk. Take a look at the attached pics (sorry for the crappy photos).
Wow. I have to say I'm super jealous of your install - that is CLEAN! And also WAY above my skill level...LOL
Old 07-09-14, 04:55 AM   #6
mlacomb
Pole Position

Looks like pin 12 of the connector on the first page (going into Stereo Amplifier) goes HOT with ACC. I'll pull apart my trunk sometime when cleaning it to see what I tapped... I know I didn't write it down, but I did use a multimeter to confirm. I'm also fairly positive that even if the stereo is off, the amp is still hot while the car is on (bluetooth phone calls use the amp as well) but I'll confirm that too.
Old 07-09-14, 06:56 AM   #7
MekDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Looks like pin 12 of the connector on the first page (going into Stereo Amplifier) goes HOT with ACC. I'll pull apart my trunk sometime when cleaning it to see what I tapped... I know I didn't write it down, but I did use a multimeter to confirm. I'm also fairly positive that even if the stereo is off, the amp is still hot while the car is on (bluetooth phone calls use the amp as well) but I'll confirm that too.
Nice! Did you have to unmount the amp to get to the wire?
Old 07-09-14, 07:26 AM   #8
SICK350
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Ian Kirkaldie MACDADDYMILLAN
Send a message via MSN to SICK350

I'm loving the cigarette lighter switch idea, I might have to borrow this idea for LEDs.
SICK350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 11:07 AM   #9
mlacomb
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by MekDiesel View Post
Nice! Did you have to unmount the amp to get to the wire?
Nope; used a vampire tap on that wire + the 4 front speaker outs.... been solid ever since.
Old 07-09-14, 01:51 PM   #10
MekDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Nope; used a vampire tap on that wire + the 4 front speaker outs.... been solid ever since.
Hmmmm... I've attached a pic of my vantage point of my amp in the trunk. I tapped into the visible speaker wires easily using that wiring diagram, but have no clue how to get access to the wires on the front of the amp without unmounting it.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-14, 06:12 PM   #11
mlacomb
Pole Position

One of the wires that plug in there is hot when car is on, not when not. I'll look sometime this weekend. I didn't have to unmount the amp, I did remove the plugs that were necessary to vampire tap....
Old 07-15-14, 11:12 AM   #12
MekDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
One of the wires that plug in there is hot when car is on, not when not. I'll look sometime this weekend. I didn't have to unmount the amp, I did remove the plugs that were necessary to vampire tap....
Did you get a chance to look?
Old 07-16-14, 04:59 AM   #13
mlacomb
Pole Position

Sorry, I didn't - I'll make a note to dig Sunday.. my car needs some TLC anyways.
Old 07-20-14, 04:59 PM   #14
mlacomb
Pole Position

Hmmm. My wires look slightly different...? Mine is non-nav non-Levinson... I vampire tapped the gray wire as shown from the third connector from the top... Gray wire is right beside a blue wire. It's pretty thin.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-14, 05:04 PM   #15
mlacomb
Pole Position

As you can see, the connections unplug with relative ease. To tap, I peeled back the factory double stick sheath and tapped and re-wrapped. Not the cleanest looking thing in the world, but all wires are still protected - and I can get this back to stock if I ever need.
Old 07-20-14, 05:04 PM

Tags
2011, 2013, 350, 400, amp, amplifier, es, es350, fix, fusebox, lexus, locatio, ls, rem, remote, wire