ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Question about Power and performance

Old 06-10-14, 10:07 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Question about Power and performance

I have a question about my 07 ES350

i am not sure if its me or if this could actualy be something that is due to the work that was done

so i got the 07 ES back from the dealer today
they replace the drive belt W/P 2 pulleys and the battery.
All under warranty so luckily i didn't have to pay .

But something i noticed when i got in her and started driving i pulled out into the road and a car came out of no wear around the corner speeding almost hit me would have hit me if i didn't have such good pick up i slammed on the gas and it just took off could feel the pressure my seat pushing into my back as my body pushed against the seat it just got up and went

i never noticed this much power before but wondering if its
just from not driving it for the past week
Or does a new belt and new W/P and pulleys do anything for the performance of the car ? i don't think so but maybe it's possible anything can happen lol

thanks
Old 06-11-14, 07:25 PM
flashman03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It shouldn't have made that much difference. Unless your pulley was slipping but you would have known that it was. The car does have quite a bit of pickup so chances are you just missed driving her.
Old 06-12-14, 09:06 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 2008 Es350 with 55,000 miles on it back in Feb and I'm very pleased with it. I thought it had a lot of get up and go when I bought it.. I had not really floored it since then. I've been accustomed to putting fuel conditioner in all my vehicles since 1990 when I had a diesel 3/4 ton. I sold that truck when it reached 310,000 miles. I had put this fuel conditioner in 3 to 4 times a year.Not once did I have any injector pump or injector work done on the truck and it still purred like a kitten. I've used this conditioner in all my gas vehicles. It was called RED RAM TLX. It hasn't been made since the mid 1990's. I've still got 1/2 case left. It had detergent in it to clean deposits in the fuel system.
I happened to put some in to the lexus about 1 month ago when I did all my vehicles. About 1 week ago some kid was revving up his hot car at the lights beside me. I didn't pay any attention. The light turned green and I accelerated normally and he had floored it. But when he seen I didn't bite, he took his foot off and revved his engine beside me. I was probably doing about 25 mph. I decided to floor it. HOLY SMOKE that Lexus took off like a rocket. Needless to say I left him behind and he stayed there ha.
The difference in acceleration from when I first bought the car was greatly improved. So I'm a believer in fuel conditioner with detergent to keep the fuel system clean.
I'm just wondering if your service man maybe put in some fuel conditioner in your Lexus.
Old 06-12-14, 09:14 PM
Tetguy
Driver

I read your post again and it appears you've only had your car back a couple of days. Thats not enough time for the conditioner to clean injector deposits It usually takes a tankful of fuel burned before results show.
Old 06-13-14, 07:11 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

These cars are exceptionally quick for what market they hit. In fact, it's almost as fast as an older (95) Z28 that I owned with a v8. The thing is though - the pedal mapping is set up more for a luxury car. I recently had the opportunity to drive a brand new IS350 (at a Lexus reveal event) and the Sales Rep I drove with set the car up in Sport + mode. I was practically jerking back and forth in my seat; the brake and pedal setup in that mode was unreal.

Just goes to show - the Lexus / Toyota 3.5 is one of the best engines I've had the pleasure to own and can do just about everything right.
Old 06-13-14, 07:55 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Tetguy
I read your post again and it appears you've only had your car back a couple of days. Thats not enough time for the conditioner to clean injector deposits It usually takes a tankful of fuel burned before results show.
i have had my car for a 15 months what are you talking about a couple of days ?
Old 06-13-14, 09:43 AM
flashman03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
He was talking about you getting it back from the dealer for the repair work. But I don't know what he is talking about fuel additives for when you don't state anything of the sort.
Old 06-13-14, 10:15 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

These cars are relatively quick but if not handled correctly the torque steer will give you some problems. My bet is there was no difference after the WP change but only that you hit the go peddle unlike you drove it before (panic move). As to injector cleaners they are good if you use the better types which have techtron to keep your fuel system clean. If you use Chevron or Texaco then it is already in it and other companies use detergents in their gas like BP and Exon/mobile. Usually the problem comes in when you use an off brand gas which has some contaminants in it. So use it to feel comfortable but if you buy name brand gas you get it in the fuel.
Old 06-13-14, 03:46 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Couple days back from service. I was thinking they may have put conditioner in at that time.
Old 06-13-14, 04:00 PM
Tetguy
Driver

Originally Posted by jagtoes
These cars are relatively quick but if not handled correctly the torque steer will give you some problems. My bet is there was no difference after the WP change but only that you hit the go peddle unlike you drove it before (panic move). As to injector cleaners they are good if you use the better types which have techtron to keep your fuel system clean. If you use Chevron or Texaco then it is already in it and other companies use detergents in their gas like BP and Exon/mobile. Usually the problem comes in when you use an off brand gas which has some contaminants in it. So use it to feel comfortable but if you buy name brand gas you get it in the fuel.
I worked for 2 major oil companies most of my working life. ALL oil companies, at least in Canada, have used "marketspeak" additives in their fuel for the last 30 years at least and none of them really did a great job because they were too diluted.
Old 06-13-14, 04:15 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by Tetguy
Couple days back from service. I was thinking they may have put conditioner in at that time.
i have never heard of a Dealership or any service shop adding any conditioner to fuel system unless it was a fuel injection cleaning service being done.
Old 06-13-14, 04:19 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jagtoes
atleast once a week i hit that go pedal and drive it like i stole it lol.

I also use Shell Gasoline i stopped using chevron/texaco gas when they started to screw with my reward rebates and limit it to only 10cents for a gallon for 90 days then stop im like hell no not using your fuel anymore.
Every 6 -7k i add techron from chevron the good stuff not the cheap cleaner
Old 06-13-14, 05:41 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

atleast once a week i hit that go pedal and drive it like i stole it lol.

I also use Shell Gasoline i stopped using chevron/texaco gas when they started to screw with my reward rebates and limit it to only 10cents for a gallon for 90 days then stop im like hell no not using your fuel anymore.
Every 6 -7k i add techron from chevron the good stuff not the cheap cleaner
I use the 272 HP in the ES to get me to the mall comfortably and in a reasonable time. The peddle only goes half way. The 510HP in the Jag gets me to the golf course with a smile on my face.
Old 06-13-14, 10:37 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a dealer here that at every service visit adds a bottle of in tank fuel system cleaner at a cost of 26 or 27 bucks. I guess they know that most Lexus owner's don't bother to check the work and/or they convince these owner's that this stuff actually does something. They pulled that with me and after I complained they gave me a credit for the amount charged. Also, you will not find the use of any fuel additives in the Maintenance Schedule.
Old 06-14-14, 09:40 AM
Tetguy
Driver

i have never heard of a Dealership or any service shop adding any conditioner to fuel system unless it was a fuel injection cleaning service being done.
I was just trying to be helpful Thumper.
We have many service centers here do what Oldgrump mentions that add a cleaner additive to a full tank of fuel. I'm not sure about the Lexus service center procedures are the same though. Techron is a highly recommended one.
Check out the link to see what it does....oh and watch out for the smokies...haa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Power and performance