ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car Jerks sometimes while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 05:58 PM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Jerks sometimes while driving

I drive 07'es350 and I have felt jerks while driving usually when accelerating or slowing down from speed, did anyone had similar experience?
Did check with dealer before for transmission after analysis by technician he said it is perfect, recently read on internet and saw fuel filter can be an issue but when called the dealer he said filter is in gas tank and it is lifelong. Not sure what kind of diagonsis I should do to find the issue.

Please advise.
The following users liked this post:
Ogechi (06-09-21)
Old 05-20-14, 08:29 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper
I drive 07'es350 and I have felt jerks while driving usually when accelerating or slowing down from speed, did anyone had similar experience?
Did check with dealer before for transmission after analysis by technician he said it is perfect, recently read on internet and saw fuel filter can be an issue but when called the dealer he said filter is in gas tank and it is lifelong. Not sure what kind of diagonsis I should do to find the issue.

Please advise.
What is mileage on your '07?

Could you have gotten water in your fuel line ...maybe during
the winter when fuel tank was close to empty and sitting outside in the freezing weather?
Just a thought!
Old 06-03-14, 05:26 PM
flashman03
Driver School Candidate

I have noticed this recently as well. It is only noticeable with deceleration when I let up off the gas pedal. I feel a noticeable jerk like it is a hard shift in the transmission but there is no transmission shift, just the RPM reducing. Ive recently had the water pump replaced, approximately two weeks ago and started noticing this issue three days ago.
Old 06-04-14, 05:41 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've experienced a little of this from the start and assumed it's normal; if you read the owners manual they talk a little about the transmission and how the engine will sometimes ramp up a little. Almost seems to me like the transmission locks/unlocks the torque converter and if you drop off the throttle or are near the "idle load" spot when driving, it chooses to do odd non-smooth things. As you slow down as well (from speed etc) you'll notice varying times of the car slowing down quicker depending on what the transmission is trying to anticipate.

Since it's more computer controlled than my last car, I've just modified how I drive the car to compensate and don't even notice it anymore.
Old 06-04-14, 04:48 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mlacomb
I've experienced a little of this from the start and assumed it's normal; if you read the owners manual they talk a little about the transmission and how the engine will sometimes ramp up a little. Almost seems to me like the transmission locks/unlocks the torque converter and if you drop off the throttle or are near the "idle load" spot when driving, it chooses to do odd non-smooth things. As you slow down as well (from speed etc) you'll notice varying times of the car slowing down quicker depending on what the transmission is trying to anticipate.

Since it's more computer controlled than my last car, I've just modified how I drive the car to compensate and don't even notice it anymore.
What year, what mileage? What driving modifications did you make? Thanks!
Old 06-05-14, 08:47 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

08; I've had it for almost 3 years now. Can't really describe the modifications; it's old habit now (wife has a freestyle with a CVT, been a while since I've driven a non-electronic-controlled tranny). The only things I really have an issue with is in turns sometimes the whole system feels like it's bogging (lack of torque) but a jab of the throttle restores power pretty quickly.. it's almost like it bogs down in too low a gear.
Old 06-06-14, 11:19 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

08; I've had it for almost 3 years now. Can't really describe the modifications; it's old habit now (wife has a freestyle with a CVT, been a while since I've driven a non-electronic-controlled tranny). The only things I really have an issue with is in turns sometimes the whole system feels like it's bogging (lack of torque) but a jab of the throttle restores power pretty quickly.. it's almost like it bogs down in too low a gear.
What's the mileage?
Old 06-06-14, 08:43 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If your ES is "bogging" or hesitating when attempting to accelerate in a turn or otherwise something is not right and it shouldn't be doing it. Is this occuring from basically a dead stop? As it's an '08, are you using Premium?
Old 06-06-14, 09:07 PM
lacroix
Driver School Candidate

u have most likely air in the cooling system. would recommend to bleed coolant again
Old 06-09-14, 05:41 PM
Hopper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Almost seems to me like the transmission locks/unlocks the torque converter and if you drop off the throttle or are near the "idle load" spot when driving, it chooses to do odd non-smooth things. As you slow down as well (from speed etc) you'll notice varying times of the car slowing down quicker depending on what the transmission is trying to anticipate.
may be that is the case, I did not read the manual yet but will try reading it. Dealer says no issue, I will go with it. My tires are not new but not bad either but feel like may be that is causing the issue, not sure? Doing transmission flush a good option to consider?
Old 06-09-14, 08:40 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldgrump
If your ES is "bogging" or hesitating when attempting to accelerate in a turn or otherwise something is not right and it shouldn't be doing it. Is this occuring from basically a dead stop? As it's an '08, are you using Premium?
08; premium; 67k miles on the odo. It doesn't happen from a dead stop, just when I'm doing 10-20mph and gently pressing the accel into a corner - and it doesn't happen all the time, just once about every 10-20 drives. Given that I can't fully replicate it all the time, and I have times of 3-4 shift flares - very mild, I just put it up to be something I probably won't be able to get fully fixed.
Old 06-10-14, 08:59 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car doesn't jerk so much, but I feel a small shutter when I release the accelerator .... Maybe the torque convertor TSIB listed in
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post3544009 (Post # 74).

Probably something I will have to live with for the life of the car.
Is it maybe a tranny mount? I don't know much about these things.
Old 06-11-14, 10:25 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iceblast
My car doesn't jerk so much, but I feel a small shutter when I release the accelerator .... Maybe the torque convertor TSIB listed in
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post3544009 (Post # 74).

Probably something I will have to live with for the life of the car.
Is it maybe a tranny mount? I don't know much about these things.
What model, Year and mileage? Please!
Old 06-11-14, 08:28 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
What model, Year and mileage? Please!
It is an ES 350, 2007 and 49000 miles (~80KM).
My VIN falls outside that TSB, but not sure if I can do much about it now...

Last edited by iceblast; 06-11-14 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 01:39 PM
Ogechi
Driver School Candidate

Default Where can I buy ECU

Originally Posted by iceblast
It is an ES 350, 2007 and 49000 miles (~80KM).
My VIN falls outside that TSB, but not sure if I can do much about it now...
Where can I buy ECU

Quick Reply: Car Jerks sometimes while driving