ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Jumper Cables gauge...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 03:02 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumper Cables gauge...

Want to keep a set of jumper cables in my trunk just in case.. You know the Boy Scout preparedness
rule. In any event, I remember having "heavy duty" jumper cables years ago. Was thinking about
Sears Craftsman brand ... Maybe 4 gauge. Thoughts?
Old 04-22-14, 06:51 PM
liquidz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most jumper cables are pretty capable. Length and gauge are important. Longer cables makes it easier to jump cars without having the fronts too close. I have 16 ft vs the standard 12 ft. I think the standard jumper cable gauge is something like 12 gauge. Obvious that is considered sufficient from the manufacturer, but smaller gauge would allow for higher amps.

My current set is 16 ft and 10 gauge jumper cable. I've jumped about 4 different cars no problem.
Old 04-27-14, 12:30 AM
aboger
Driver School Candidate

I like Craftsmans--16-20 feet, 4-6 gauge is great.
Old 04-27-14, 05:46 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Want to keep a set of jumper cables in my trunk just in case.. You know the Boy Scout preparedness
rule. In any event, I remember having "heavy duty" jumper cables years ago. Was thinking about
Sears Craftsman brand ... Maybe 4 gauge. Thoughts?
I can't remember the last time I had to use jumper cables. I see now days some carry a jumper battery pack but unless you have a weak battery I wouldn't think you would need one. Replace the battery every 5 years and you are good to go. But if you want to feel better anyone reputable auto supply will carry what you need.
Old 04-28-14, 02:52 AM
aboger
Driver School Candidate

Hey Jagtoes:
I did a really dumb thing soon after I got my Lexus! I have always driven junk GM cars and wasn't familiar with this car. I turned the car off, realizing the moon roof was still open; so I pushed the ignition switch once, no dice. I pushed it again and was able to close the moon roof. Then I got out and walked into work without turning off the ignition. A few hours later I needed a jump! That was the first time in a couple of decades I needed a jump. But I like to help others, so I carry them. Once in awhile you get to help a pretty gal.
peace
Old 04-28-14, 01:38 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by aboger
Hey Jagtoes:
I did a really dumb thing soon after I got my Lexus! I have always driven junk GM cars and wasn't familiar with this car. I turned the car off, realizing the moon roof was still open; so I pushed the ignition switch once, no dice. I pushed it again and was able to close the moon roof. Then I got out and walked into work without turning off the ignition. A few hours later I needed a jump! That was the first time in a couple of decades I needed a jump. But I like to help others, so I carry them. Once in awhile you get to help a pretty gal.
peace
Yep , stuff happens so I guess it worked out for you. Just watch out for those pretty girls in the break down lane. Good luck and have fun ,