ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

None of my doors will lock!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 05:43 PM
Jameswalt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry None of my doors will lock!

2010 ES350, 84,000 miles. I have seen many threads on door locking/unlocking issues but none quite like mine that I've been able to locate. The key fob stopped locking the doors a few weeks ago, neither will the lock button on the drivers door inside the car. No sounds, beeps, lights or mechanical attempts to lock the doors. There are no indicator lights or messages suggesting an issue.

I can go around and manually lock all the doors, hit the lock on the key fob, and the car will beep and light up as if the locks worked fine. I also manually locked each door separately and in all combinations, the only combination which will enable the beep as if the door locks work with the fob is if they are all locked. The fob will unlock the doors however, unlocking has not been an issue.

My first attempt to correct was to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and they worked fine for a week or so. The next time, with all the same symptoms, disconnecting the battery did nothing, the fob, however did start working a day or two later. The third time it happened we took the car directly to the dealership who has had it for 5 days and have been unable to identify an issue (the fob started to work on day 3).

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Jameswalt; 03-25-14 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 05:26 PM
Jameswalt
Driver School Candidate

Update....my Memphis, TN dealership called me up today and advised they'd spent 5.5 hours diagnosing the problem and we have to pay $110.00 / hr for any further efforts on their part. I agreed to an additional amount of diagnostic effort not to exceed $500.00 at $110.00 / hr. I then called the Lexus customer service folks in CA. to inquire if this was a typical Lexus practice. Shortly after that the Memphis dealership called me and said they'd "received a call from California and they were putting the car back together and I was to come pick it up, they'd work on it no more". Great customer service!

Any ideas would be appreciated?
Old 03-26-14, 06:14 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the dealer explain or list on paper what exactly they did? In other words.......what have they eliminated as the possible problem? I think you need to contact Lexus again and ask for an explaination about the attitude, and technical troubleshooting ability of the dealer, and express (nicely at this point) about the lack of customer service.
These cars have been very good with the reliability of the electronics so it's probably a fluke fault in a component in the lock system such as the "brain" (ref. 89990A in the following: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S350-2010.html)
Maybe nevernu can supply the wiring diagram for the wireless door locking system.
These may give you some idea of the operation of the system and component locations etc.
Old 03-26-14, 08:30 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jameswalt
Update....my Memphis, TN dealership called me up today and advised they'd spent 5.5 hours diagnosing the problem and we have to pay $110.00 / hr for any further efforts on their part. I agreed to an additional amount of diagnostic effort not to exceed $500.00 at $110.00 / hr. I then called the Lexus customer service folks in CA. to inquire if this was a typical Lexus practice. Shortly after that the Memphis dealership called me and said they'd "received a call from California and they were putting the car back together and I was to come pick it up, they'd work on it no more". Great customer service!

Any ideas would be appreciated?
FWIW.. Suggest you do a Google search: ES350 - car doors won't lock
Check it out...
Old 03-26-14, 09:14 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

there is a lot of info about door locks in the svc manual. if the OP wants to send me an email address via pm i can link him to a drop box with the info. Best I can do with a single post is a pdf w a PROBLEM SYMPTOMS TABLE/Suspect area table
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
diag24.pdf (24.2 KB, 152 views)
Old 03-26-14, 09:17 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also. Did your Memphis dealer charge you for the 5 hrs they diagnosed the problem? I make it quite clear when I take my car to a dealer or shop for diagnosis, that I will pay NOTHING, NADA, NICKS, etc... if they don't "Find the problem". I tell them straight up that if I bring the car to them with a problem, and the problem exists and they see it, that I will only pay them to diagnose the problem if they can tell me what the problem is. If they say "We still can't figure it out"; then I simply say: "Thanks" and I take the car. Obviously I arrange this with them BEFORE they start their diagnosis. But I'll be damned if I'll pay anyone even $1.00 for them to tell me they can't figure out what the problem is.

Then again, I almost never have a car taken in for diagnosis. Maybe 5 times in my 35+ years of driving. But each time, from 1970's til now, I make it clear that I'm paying them to "DIAGNOSE". Diagnose means telling me what the problem is. If they can't tell me what the problem is, then they didn't diagnose. Thus, I'm not paying them anything. Dealerships and even private maintenance garages know that they charge to diagnose and then MORE to repair whatever is the problem. So most places will agree that if they can't tell me what the problem is and what it will take to fix it, that they shouldn't expect to be paid.