ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Why did you choose the Es-350 (Just curious)

Old 03-22-14, 10:52 AM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why did you choose the Es-350 (Just curious)

I didn't see a thread on this. I apologize if I didn't search deep enough.

This is purely out of curiosity. I like the complete line of Lexus and am in no way dissing any other model. Just curious why those here chose the ES-350 model compared to some of the other models.

My #1 reason was for the Front-Wheel-Drive. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow and ice. The other models are either Rear-Wheel-Drive or All-Wheel-Drive. While I don't mind All-Wheel-Drive, I tend to prefer that drive-train on larger SUV/X-over type vehicles. I personally feel they don't drive as comfortably. I really like Rear-Wheel-Drive, but in an area like mine, RWD just isn't practical. Unless you owned many vehicles and used the RWD just during warm weather with nice dry roads. I use to own many vehicles at one time. Normally no less than 5. And I had many RWD vehicles such as mustangs, corvettes, and similar. But I've weened down the number of vehicles I own to 1 car, 1 SUV, and 1 pickup. So for me, the FWD for daily driving while maintaining comfort, lead me to the FWD and the ES350.

My secondary reason was the size vs price factor. The IS-Series was simply too small for me. I'm not a small guy. (In any direction). The GS-Series is better in size, but I still feel it's a little smaller than the ES-350. At least when I sat and drove both. The LS-Series definitely seemed bigger, but the luxury felt about the same and the price difference, including the GS-series, just didn't seem to me to be worth the difference over the ES350 series.

Anyway, just curious. There's no right/wrong answer obviously on this question. I'm sure it's simply a matter of preference. If I still lived in Austin Texas, I probably would have gone with the LS or GS series in RWD if the price had been right. But for where I'm at currently, the FWD was pretty of the ES350 was pretty much the only way I was going to buy a Lexus car. SuV/X-over would be a totally different set of requirements.
Old 03-22-14, 11:02 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I came from a series of different cars, and living in a generally flat area with a former 7 mile commute to work - I didn't need to be picky on FWD/RWD/AWD.

I've owned a fair amount of vehicles. Chevy Beretta, Z28 (4th gen), Pontiac Firebird (3rd gen), 1978 Mercury Cougar XR7, 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis, and finally my current 2008 ES350. I went from college car to sporty cars to large floaty cars. Coming from the RWD Grand Marquis, driving the Lexus ES was the best car for me given the larger car feel. It's just a really comfortable car. I came to Lexus after a friend of mine HIGHLY recommended them. I basically got sick of having my cars go into the dirt from a value perspective yet cost me $$$ to keep on the road. I was initially looking at Lincoln vehicles, but am glad I made the informed switch.

I have had the opportunity to "rent" while my car is in the shop for scheduled maintenance: 2014 ES, 2013 CT, 2013 IS 250. Honestly, I would take any one of these - I really enjoyed the sportiness of the IS, but it's not for me for long trips which I occasionally take. The new ES is nice, but I do like my interior a little better. I would trade for a CT just from a gas milage perspective, but I honestly think the interior doesn't scream quality like the ES does; it just looks kind of cheap in my opinion.

Every day I drive my ES it reminds me of why I chose it in the first place.
Old 03-22-14, 01:25 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I bought it because :
1. It is a smooth riding car
2. It is roomy
3. It is quiet
4. It is comfortable
5. It gets good gas mileage
6. It is maintenance free
7. It looks great

My only dislike is that it is a FWD car but then again I use my truck in the winter and don't drive the car in the snow.
Old 03-22-14, 04:14 PM
christcorp
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jagtoes. Thanks for the input. Question: Are all those reasons why you chose the ES350 OVER the IS, GS, and LS lexus models? That was my main curiosity. Thanks. Mike.
Old 03-22-14, 07:52 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

christcorp, I didn't choose it as the wife picked it out for me as a (sorta) surprise. Ha/ha. I have enjoyed it very much for the reasons jagtoes listed. If I had been given the choice, I'd have looked strongly at the GS.
Old 03-22-14, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

The reason I chose the ES the two times I bought them was value for money. I buy new, and the ES has always been a lot of car for the money, and a car that feels like a more expensive car than it is.

I will say though, that when you drive a GS or especially an LS for a while you do realize that they are more refined in many ways than the ES, if I were buying used I'd buy a little bit older LS.

I've also never been a huge AWD in a sedan fan, but now that I've had one for a while there really is no difference in comfort. I still prefer RWD, but I'd always opt for AWD over FWD.
Old 03-22-14, 08:49 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife had 200,000 on her ES300 over 14 years. When it came time for a replacement, a ES350 was at the front of her list. She loves a red metallic so that clinched the deal.
Old 03-22-14, 09:40 PM
Spitznagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After driving manual transmission Civic coupes for years, the ES was a major step up in size for me. I wanted an IS 350 but my husband wasn't willing to buy something barely larger than the paid-for Civic. For the first year, I didn't love the ES because of the size and loose handling. (Traded it for a V-6 Accord. Hated it and after 2 months, bought another ES) I have gained an appreciation for the roominess and comfort. I love this car! The acceleration is great. And the red is so pretty. I plan to drive this one for a long time, but will probably buy a GS next.
Old 03-23-14, 05:49 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by christcorp
jagtoes. Thanks for the input. Question: Are all those reasons why you chose the ES350 OVER the IS, GS, and LS lexus models? That was my main curiosity. Thanks. Mike.
Kind of like the Goldilocks story. The IS was to small and the GS rode to firm and the LS was to big . So when you net it down the ES was just right. Just that simple for me. There is just the two of us now (empty nest) so we each have our own car along with a pick up truck and then I have my fun car. The Lexus is considered the vacation cruiser so we wanted something comfortable for a 4 or 8 hour drive.
Old 03-23-14, 07:09 AM
RobotFutur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a pretty big checklist in buying a car and the ES350 was the one that completely fit the bill.

1. The trunk is big enough to fit two hockey bags and the pass-through works for sticks.
2. Safety is a huge factor to me after a couple of unfortunate car accidents.
3. Reliability. Reliability. Reliability.
4. The engine in this car is great. Plenty of power when you need it.
5. The quality of the leather was a bigger deal than maybe I'd normally admit, but it's true.
6. Plenty of room without being a cross-over or a SUV.

Those are some of the reasons. It's more than that though. I just love the way the ES350 fits and feels.
Old 03-23-14, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I bought a 2007 ES350 when they came out in late-April/early-May 2006. Even though it was a 1st year model, It was bullet proof and problem free the entire time I owned it.

I really liked the mid-cycle refresh with the 2010's, so based on my experience with the '07 I got a 2010. It too was problem free the entire time I owned it.

After back to back ES350';s, I was ready for something else and now have a 2013 Audi which we really like too. After a year and half no problems at all.
Old 03-23-14, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

To me when buying something in that $35-45k entry level luxury range, all the options have always been compact looking/feeling cars, like the C Class, 3 Series, A4, etc. Thats changed some the past 4 years or so with cars like the Genesis...but still, if you want a real midsize/fullsize luxury branded car under $45k well equipped, the ES is the only game in town.
Old 03-23-14, 05:46 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW13GS
To me when buying something in that $35-45k entry level luxury range, all the options have always been compact looking/feeling cars, like the C Class, 3 Series, A4, etc. Thats changed some the past 4 years or so with cars like the Genesis...but still, if you want a real midsize/fullsize luxury branded car under $45k well equipped, the ES is the only game in town.
Agreed, excellent value for the money.
Old 03-23-14, 05:56 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Despite all these es350 positives we are all touting, I've noticed since I received mine 2 years ago that I rarely see anyone "young" driving them. I'm 40, got the car when I was 38. I don't think in that time that I've ever seen anyone in my age range (+/- 10 years) driving one. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I see es350's all the time (such a common car) and the average age seems to be 65 (ducking to avoid objects being hurled at me now, ha). Since I own one, it must mean I'm wise beyond my years, right?!? Lol.

Don't get wrong, I enjoy the car. But I'd like to see some people in my age range like it as much as I do.
Old 03-23-14, 06:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mckdaddy
Despite all these es350 positives we are all touting, I've noticed since I received mine 2 years ago that I rarely see anyone "young" driving them. I'm 40, got the car when I was 38. I don't think in that time that I've ever seen anyone in my age range (+/- 10 years) driving one. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I see es350's all the time (such a common car) and the average age seems to be 65 (ducking to avoid objects being hurled at me now, ha). Since I own one, it must mean I'm wise beyond my years, right?!? Lol.

Don't get wrong, I enjoy the car. But I'd like to see some people in my age range like it as much as I do.
Yeah, it's no secret that the ES is favored by a mature crowd. It's always been that way. The average age of the buyers of new ESs has always been up around 60 + or -. Pre-owned or second and third buyers tend to be younger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why did you choose the Es-350 (Just curious)